PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid Dresses

HollyP
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi! My brother is getting married next spring and I am going to be in the wedding. His bride to be chose a dress that all of the bridesmaids don't like. We had various reasons, mostly being the unforgiving fit. So she is back to square one. She wants everyone to wear the same dress. My brother asked me today what kind of dress I thought would work for everyone. We are all very different shapes and sizes. Her sis is a size two, BFF is about a 10, My SIL is tiny also a size 4 but it trying to conceive so could be pretty far along at the wedding, and I am plus sized (but currently doing weight watchers and soon will not be! ) I was bored this afternoon and started looking at dresses.She wants long, not strapless. What do you all think of this (http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998973&colorName=Truffle&subCategory=-49998976%7C-49998975%7C-49998973&top_category=&catentryId=1000087) dress? I need honest opinions so I knew I could count on you! I thought the cut and fabric could work for everyone, even SIL if pg. But I don't want to send her the link if people don't think it would work. I like that it is not shiny and looks to me like it could disguise some figure flaws.

Thanks!

Doodknitwit
06-06-2009, 08:55 PM
it looks like a great drape. DB is a great place to find the dress. DD just got married and my dress and the bridal party all came from there.. They also have the bolero jackets to match if you need that too.. Are any of thre ladies big busted? That might also be a concern in choosing the right style..

the dress we used had a sweep across the front that hid alot...

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998974&currentIdx=34&subCategory=-49998976%7c-49998975%7c-49998974&catentryId=1000145&sort=

Sewing Angel
06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
That is a nice dress, that should flatter lots of different figures. I agree about the drape. The whole shiny thing is not good for lots of people.

sabrinasmom
06-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I like it too.

Jan in CA
06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
It's pretty IMO. A little shiny for a wedding, but still really pretty if that is what she wants.

gotta knit
06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
The empire waist on your pick could help with a variety of figure flaws. I was going to suggest something like the side gathering of the 2nd post, since two of us wore something similar in a wedding last fall - A-line tulip skirt with tummy ruching, gathered to one side. One had straps while the other had a sweetheart neckline with straps, the skirt was kind of like this but fuller:http://www.bestbridalprices.com/impression-bridesmaid-dresses-style-1641-p-27317.html?cPath=3_20

We had dresses made in the same fabric, but wearing different styles. Go shopping as a group if you can, to try on different styles to see what suits different body shapes. That really helped us.

Some sites offer body-flattering hints like this:
The A-line shape flatters most body types. Traditionally this style is close fitting through the bodice and flares into the A-line shape skirt at the waist. The A-line shape creates an elongated, smooth line on almost any figure. The skirt flatters in either a full or more narrow cut. Full figures have the added benefit of slimming their hips in this style. Choose a V-neck or halter style to flatter and support a larger bust.

HollyP
06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone! We really want to go shopping as a group but we are from all over the country so it doesn't look like it will happen. I feel much better suggesting it now. It seems very hard to maintain the thin line between helpful and pushy. My brother the groom says be pushy, but I am desperately trying not to be. Thanks again!

cftwo
06-07-2009, 10:14 AM
With David's Bridal, the bride could also choose a color, and some style basics (long, for example) and then let the bridesmaids choose long-skirted styles which suited them. But some brides really prefer the same look for everyone and that's fine!

I think the first style would be too much on a petite size 2 person. Some dresses that hide figure flaws also overwhelm petite figures. Something slightly more fitted, but along the same lines, like this one might be better, IMO. I think this could still be flattering on a size 10 or a plus-size figure. http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998974&currentIdx=31&subCategory=-49998976%7c-49998975%7c-49998974&catentryId=1000388&sort=

Crycket
06-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I like it...

Bridesmaids dresses are the funniest things...ppl either love em or hate em...!

These were mine....

MoniDew
06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi! My brother is getting married next spring and I am going to be in the wedding. His bride to be chose a dress that all of the bridesmaids don't like. We had various reasons, mostly being the unforgiving fit. So she is back to square one. She wants everyone to wear the same dress. My brother asked me today what kind of dress I thought would work for everyone. We are all very different shapes and sizes. Her sis is a size two, BFF is about a 10, My SIL is tiny also a size 4 but it trying to conceive so could be pretty far along at the wedding, and I am plus sized (but currently doing weight watchers and soon will not be! ) I was bored this afternoon and started looking at dresses.She wants long, not strapless. What do you all think of this (http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998973&colorName=Truffle&subCategory=-49998976%7C-49998975%7C-49998973&top_category=&catentryId=1000087) dress? I need honest opinions so I knew I could count on you! I thought the cut and fabric could work for everyone, even SIL if pg. But I don't want to send her the link if people don't think it would work. I like that it is not shiny and looks to me like it could disguise some figure flaws.

Thanks!
I like the wide straps, easy to hide a bra under - both supportive to the larger figures, and enhancing to the tinier ones.

I like the high waist and "vee" neckline, very flattering for making anyone appear taller and leaner.

If you pick a deep, saturated color, it's nice for nearly every skin tone and hair color, with the exception of perhaps an extremely pale blond.

The model is wearing the wrong size in the photograph. It's too voluminous for her. There is no reason a stick-thin model needs that much excess fabric under the bust/over the tummy! I'd alter the gown and remove that for her figure! If everyone gets the PROPER SIZE, you should be good to go! And, don't forget that you can have things altered! Removing excess fabric is easier that adding more, so, when in doubt, fit the largest part of your body and alter the rest down a size or two where necessary.

All-in-all, I'd say this is a great choice!

vaknitter
06-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I like the dress you chose and my bridesmaids wore something similar in my wedding. Don't limit yourselves to David's Bridal -they remind me of Walmart. When I was looking for dresses I checked Chadwicks.com, JCrew, Ann Taylor, and Macy's. IMO they all have some beautiful gowns. The JCrew sophia is similar to what you have chosen - it is silk and hang beautifully. Depending on what color she wants you could wear it again. It's one of my favorite dresses and all my friends have borrowed it.

kbagel
06-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm in a friends wedding this October and actually tried that dress on at David's Bridal. As a tall size 4, I didn't like it at all. It had a lot of fabric in the front but I felt that it didn't flatter my behind at all. Keep in mind that it's a clingy jersey fabric so it really doesn't hide flaws that well. You'd be better off picking a woven fabric vs a jersey to hide flaws. Also, not sure how it would look on a shorter person with a larger bust or dress size.

We eventually settled on this dress in merlot...http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2756/

cdjack
06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree with kbagel: jersey material isn't always the most flattering fabric. I remember having to wear Spanx last time I had to wear a jersey dress. I'd check Ann Taylor and J.Crew. However, I'm pretty sure that the bridemaids dresses at J.Crew are only available online.

knittingymnast
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Pretty! It looks good to me. But I'm just a kid, so what do I know?

mwhite
06-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I like it as well...flattering and the fact that you'll be able to wear a regular bra will make it much more comfortable.

mwhite
06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Pretty! It looks good to me. But I'm just a kid, so what do I know?
LOL! You're a great kid and your opinion is nice and modern so you know alot!

stisdale
06-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I know you've already got this opinion from others but I just wanted to concur with the others that jersey knit isn't actually that forgiving if you have a little pudge. It clings a lot and unless you have some friggin' rock hard and/or flat abs, it'll show that little bit of pudge around the waist line, not to mention undie/thong lines and/or big fat wedgies.

I would recommend an empire waist line dress as that tend to compliment a lot of people, and sticking with a fabric that drapes will and doesn't cling. Probably something a little bit thicker so it can hide stuff well. :) I hope you find a nice dress that works and just be thankful you're not wearing this:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/uglydress_2031_21149963

GinnyG
06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I think it is very pretty, and a classic that (depending on the color) would be wearable again. It seems such a waste when bridesmaids dresses are only worn once. My opinion is that knit is flattering, it needs to fit but with proper fit it can be very flattering.

HollyP
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Stisdale, I was a bit frightened I would end up in a dress like that. Thanks for the picture! Originally she wanted purpley pink as her color. Now she has decided to do chocolate brown and a bright pink.

Still not sure what we are wearing. We all submitted our ideas and are waiting. I am really hoping for a dress that could be worn again. My sil and I were at TJ Maxx not too long ago and saw beautiful dresses that would be great as BM dresses. We'll see!

Jenelle
06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Another thing that you might want to consider is the temperature outside. You might want to lean towards a natural fiber rather than polyester(unless the underskirt is made with a different material). The dress you chose is beautiful, but just a tad bit too shiny for a wedding IMO. It's a wonder if you or the other BM's know a seamstress to help you out with the style of the dress. I think if she does go with a chocolate brown with pink, that it can look great on everyone.

kellee0302
06-19-2009, 03:04 PM
This dress is similar to the one I wore in my friends wedding and we were all different sizes and even had one bridesmaid that was 8 months pregnant. So I think it's a good dress and may even be something that could be worn again. I actually wore mine to a Christmas party a few years later. Good Luck