PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel this way about socks?

Quiltlady
06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I've been knitting socks from the toe up for a few years and I love how they turn out. I have used ALL different brands of sock yarns. Opal, Lorna's Lace, and Regia just to name a few. But after I wear them for a short while they seem to GROW on my feet. They get loose. One brand I noticed felt slippery on my hard wood floors!! I am reluctant to wear them again for fear of slipping on the floor. I don't wear my knit socks with shoes since they make my shoes too tight so I am happy just to wear them around the house.
I've been knitting socks mostly with Cascade Fixation sock yarn that has elastic in it and I LOVE how they come out. They are soft, sturdy and stretchy but they do NOT grow on my feet and they wash well and dry fine too. I literally wear them all day long around the house.
I love the other yarns for their colors and self striping effects etc..but does anyone else experience their socks "growing" with each step? Any way I can end up loving those other fancy sock yarns and enjoy wearing them? Thanks so much for any insight you can give me.:knitting: :knitting:

knittingymnast
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
You know the non-skid stuff for the bottoms of the sock? I've heard if you put those on, they work. Besides, you said that you don't wear your socks with shoes, so....

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=19349&product%5Fid=17160&MSCSProfile=95385A1F52DEA1A229D5B3754205446486BDBD FC19652860390B1F300991108700D4A5C3EBBF018BA830CB5E F661D055A9BEC74B17E226D07AA2BB6757C1EA58207CF18D3C 1B99BA3969E8E5229DA6F27C236C215C9D0280415E171A5583 815994036680252086F0CEA98932C4165A92A79EA2F6AAFF2D 39AED7363D843FCA47BCAA11DBBCD896D2

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/jifgripbrnon.html

(Thanks to Jan for referring me and yiziee to these sites! :thumbsup:)

Crycket
06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I knit my socks about 1/2 inch shorter than my foot...because I found I was getting a loose heel after the second or third wash...so even though my foot measures at a 9.5 inch...I make my foot 9" and stretch them out a bit...they may be a bit snug after the first or second round, but then they are perfect..for me....

mathwizard
06-08-2009, 07:02 AM
I wear my socks with my shoes. I usually stop knitting the pattern after I turn the heel. I tried it with the pattern all the way and it was too tight to wear with shoes. I haven't had a problem with stretching yet but I will watch them. Thanks for the heads up as I us all kinds of yarn to make socks. I usually go top to toe. Know any good toe up pattern links?

Quiltlady
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I wear my socks with my shoes. I usually stop knitting the pattern after I turn the heel. I tried it with the pattern all the way and it was too tight to wear with shoes. I haven't had a problem with stretching yet but I will watch them. Thanks for the heads up as I us all kinds of yarn to make socks. I usually go top to toe. Know any good toe up pattern links?

Yes, I just found this site yesterday. She has lots of pretty toe UP sock patterns. She also just put out a book on the subject too...but nice these are all FREE patterns...enjoy...
http://wendyknits.net/finished-work-free-patterns-tips/sub-page
:knitting: :knitting:

melmac51
06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I've bought the dpn's, looked longingly at sock yarn, but am too chicken to try to make them. Maybe I'll go back to JoAnn's and look again.

knitgal
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I have socks that my aunt has made me that do this and I think it's because she knits more loosely than I do. The socks that I have knit don't seem to "grow" because I knit at a pretty tight gauge and, just like Crycket, I don't knit my socks at exactly the right length, but just a bit shorter.

The Cascade fixation has some elastic in it, which is probably helping to prevent growth in your socks. There are a few other sock yarns that have elastic in them that you could use- or perhaps try knitting elastic into the sock?

JudiToots
06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Wow...this is a real bummer for me. I am relatively new to knitting and I have been looking forward to knitting socks. But I want to wear mine with shoes. It's disappointing to hear about the tightness and the creeping issues.

Does it depend on the size needles? I would prefer a smaller knit stitch sock (if that makes sense).

Lisa R.
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow...this is a real bummer for me. I am relatively new to knitting and I have been looking forward to knitting socks. But I want to wear mine with shoes. It's disappointing to hear about the tightness and the creeping issues.

Does it depend on the size needles? I would prefer a smaller knit stitch sock (if that makes sense).

I wear mine with shoes...of course a thicker yarn with larger needles will give a thicker sock.... (you could always go up half a size with your shoe, too. ;))

gotta knit
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm fairly new to socks, have made a couple pairs using Bernat SOX yarn.
They don't stay really tight to my foot, but aren't overly loose either. I wear them in shoes no problem.

Quiltlady
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
or perhaps try knitting elastic into the sock?[/quote]

I'd love to use the other sock yarns that I have in my stash that don't have the elastic in them. Now where could I BUY such thin elastic?? I'd be very interested to know..that's a GREAT idea.
Don't let me not wearing my knit socks with my shoes turn others off the idea. I wear size 11 shoes and I have long toes so believe me when I tell you that I have foot issues as it is without having to try to buy larger shoes!! I really am not interested in wearing my socks out. They work great for me to wear them around the house. I have on a pair right now!!:knitting: I knit my socks with size ONE DPN's.

JudiToots
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Quiltlady,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to get through knitting a hat for my husband (one delay after another). Then I would like to start a pair of socks.

Can any yarn be used for socks? Or does it have to be especially made for socks? Pardon my ignorance on the subject. :oo:

Jan in CA
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Can any yarn be used for socks? Or does it have to be especially made for socks? Pardon my ignorance on the subject. :oo:

Well, technically any yarn can be made into socks, but some won't be able to stand up the wear that socks get. Yarns with a nylon/polyester type component are supposed to be the best. For first socks you might try a worsted or DK weight in any yarn just to get a feel for the pattern.

As for stretching you might try using smaller needles. A tighter gauge is sturdier and is probably less like to stretch.

BTW...I don't wear my socks with shoes either. My wide feet just make it to tight. I could go up a size, but I still have the width issue.

kellee0302
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I wear my hand knit socks with shoes. The only time they are tight is if I use a worsted weight yarn. If I use sock yarn I haven't had a problem with mine. They do stretch to my foot so I wash them and dry them to bounce them back into shape but I find that happens with a lot of store bought socks too.

Plantgoddess+
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I also knit my socks slightly small as wool and wool blends will stretch a little with wear. They snap back into shape with washing though. I have no problem wearing socks with most shoes. I have one pair of shoes that are a little tight and so I wear my lace weight socks with those. I tend to knit loosely so I go down in needle size regularly. I tend to knit most socks on size 2mm to 2.5 mm. I just bought some 00 and am planning to knit with lace weight yarn on those.
I have used DK weight yarn for skiing socks and I have made worsted weight socks for hubby for work.