PDA

View Full Version : What superwash wool lasts?

gulfcoastgal
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
My DH has requested a blanket ( light) in red wool and I thought of him and KNOW he will forget and put it in the washer !! SO , it will need to be washable
What yarn have you tried in superwash that with care ( I would hand wash) still looks good and does not felt/pill like crazy
thanks for your input and suggestions
Donna

suzeeq
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
You could also use a wool/acrylic blend like Woolease, Plymouth Encore and Patons has one too. That might work out well too and they're quite nice yarns.

candicane
06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
What do you mean by "light"? Do you have a gauge in mind? Budget? I am a big fan of superwash merinos. If you don't mind ordering online littleknits.com has great prices and they had some superwash wools. Moda Dea has a superwash wool available at Joann's. I made a sweater and have washed it quite a few times and it is holding up well. I think it came in a red.

mathwizard
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
If you like to try acrylic yarn and want a really soft yarn then I would try Caron Simply Soft. I have made a hat, scarf and am currently working on a kimono, not yet done, using the yarn and I have had no problem with it felting or anything else. My son likes black and all the above is black yarn except for the red dragon to go on the back of the kimono. So soft!!!

knittingymnast
06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Caron Simply Soft sometimes pills, though. I've used Plymouth Encore and really like it. It has different weights too, so you can adjust the yarn weight to what you need. (I noticed that you said 'light.')

Jan in CA
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Caron Simply Soft is 100% acrylic anyway. She asked about superwash wool.

HollyP
06-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I used Knitpicks Swish (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Swish_DK_Yarn__D5420168.html) a few times and have really liked it. It comes in DK, Worsted and Bulky weights. As far as I know it has held up, they have all been gifts.