PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sirdar pattern 9157

janlove
06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi-in my desperation to find a solution to my problems with this pattern I found this website. I thought I was an experienced knitter but am really struggling with this one. The pattern knits up beautifully to the point of decreasing for the neck/armholes and then, because it is a really lacy pattern, its just goes haywire. It could well be me but I just can't get it right. Has anybody used the pattern and had the same problem or possibly somebody has used the pattern and can explain how to get round this. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

Ingrid
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
You'll probably get help faster if you can specifically put what you're having trouble with. I found a picture of the pattern, but can't really tell from that what the lace repeat is.

You don't need to post the entire pattern, just what rows that are giving you trouble.

janlove
06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
You'll probably get help faster if you can specifically put what you're having trouble with. I found a picture of the pattern, but can't really tell from that what the lace repeat is.

You don't need to post the entire pattern, just what rows that are giving you trouble.

OK thanks.
the pattern row is K1,yfwd,k1,*s1,k2tog,psso,k1,yfwd,k1,yfwd,k1,rep from*to last 6 sts,s1,k2 tog,psso,k1,yfwd,k1,p1
The 2nd row is purl.
When shaping the neck and armhole the pattern asks you to k2 tog, pattern to the last 2 stitches,k2 tog.
2nd row-purl to last 2 sts, p2 tog etc

I'm struggling to keep the right number of stitches and when I try to compensate and keep the right number of stitches the shaping is wrong. Hope this is not too confusing but if anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Ingrid
06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
The most important thing is to keep the lace pattern lined up, so if it happens that you don't have the exact number of stitches on a row here or there, don't get crazy about it.

When you decrease on a lace pattern, sometimes you can just leave out the first yo. But since the pattern specifies the k2tog, you just kind of work in from the edges.

There will be times when you don't have enough stitches to do a full repeat, so you can work those in stockinette.

You might end up with 4 or more knit stitches in a row on the edge, but it's necessary in order to keep the lace lined up.

As I said, don't get crazy about the count, keep the stripes of the lace, and in the end it will look fine.

janlove
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks-I'll give it a try.

The most important thing is to keep the lace pattern lined up, so if it happens that you don't have the exact number of stitches on a row here or there, don't get crazy about it.

When you decrease on a lace pattern, sometimes you can just leave out the first yo. But since the pattern specifies the k2tog, you just kind of work in from the edges.

There will be times when you don't have enough stitches to do a full repeat, so you can work those in stockinette.

You might end up with 4 or more knit stitches in a row on the edge, but it's necessary in order to keep the lace lined up.

As I said, don't get crazy about the count, keep the stripes of the lace, and in the end it will look fine.

paulineknit
06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
For every sl 1, k2tog, psso (two stitches decreased) in the stitch pattern there are two compensating yarn overs (two stitches increased) in order to maintain the correct number of stitches. When shaping and a stitch pattern yarn over or a stitch pattern decrease is not worked, do not work the compensating decrease or yarn over. If these are worked then the stitch count will be incorrect.

So if a yarn over is lost to a shaping (armhole or neck) decrease, instead of working the compensating sl1, k2tog, psso, work just a single decrease as k2tog or sl 1, k1, psso (these two decreases slope in different directions) in order to keep the columns lined up. When one of the decreases is lost work just one yarn over in the right place to maintain the columns. As Ingrid says, if there are not enough stitches to work a pattern repeat you can work those stitches in stocking stitch.

Confusing and frustrating I agree, and needs concentration and judging by eye. Try casting on fewer stitches (the back is a multiple of 6 stitches plus 7, and the fronts are a multiple of 6 stitches plus 8) with some waste yarn and experiment.