PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your gauge/tension squares?

Irishmam
06-10-2009, 07:57 AM
As I am such a new knitter it would break my heart to unravel anything, so I presented my 2 gauge squares to my 4-year old daughter as bankets for her Barbie house - she was delighted.

Any one else use theirs?

Irishmam

Mirl56
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I think doll house or Barbie blankets or shawls is a great idea!

When I was knitting about 30-35 yrs ago, I started sewing them together thinking they would make a nice crazy quilt/patchwork type blanket. I think that project is still stuffed in the back of my closet somewhere, totally abandoned when I stopped knitting.

When I started knitting again about 5 years ago, I don't do so many projects that I need to swatch. I knit mostly socks, purses, dishclothes, mostly small things that I don't swatch for.

AH1OZ
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
i barely make gauge swatches as i rarely use patterns. but when i do i tend to unravel them and use the yarn in my project...

tho i have thought about making a patchwork blanket (each square would remind me of a project I did!)

knittingymnast
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I started a swatch-cardigan, but never finished it.

MoniDew
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
frog it and start the project I'm working on. BORING. I don't have the imagination to think up something like Barbie doll blankets or swatch cardigans.

GinnyG
06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I frog them too and use the yarn in the project. Seems a terrible waste of yarn not to.

LadyFirelyght
06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm with Monica and Ginny on this one! I frog the yarn so I can gobble it up.

Luvmyrottnboy
06-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm with Monica and Ginny on this one! I frog the yarn so I can gobble it up.

Me too:)

bailsmom
06-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm with the "rip it out and use it for the project" group. I have no imagination at all. I would never have thought to use it as a 'blanket'. Good idea! :thumbsup:

Dimpledapple
06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I love the Barbie blanket idea! I've never done a swatch (eek!) but then again, I really only knit blankets and scarves with a pair of socks thrown in here and there. I'm guessing you could seam up the sides of your swatch and make sachets, soap savers, or coin purses. This (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/a-trio-of-lacey-bags-a-lesson-in-gauge#)project on Ravelry encompasses the general idea. Or maybe felt some of the swatches and used them as coasters!

Irishmam
06-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Ooh like the coaster idea!

ArtLady1981
06-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I think your idea is brilliant!

I've lugged them around in my handbag...taking them out at the fabric store to make the button choice. Better than lugging around the sweater itself.

I've also used them to "park" my yarn needle, crochet hook, and cable needle for traveling. The swatch is usually st st, so it rolls up naturally and protects the items.

Crycket
06-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I am with the frog it crew!