PDA

View Full Version : Making up - should I wash first?

Irishmam
06-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I am making a Linen stich bag and at the making up stage (after some help here!). Should I handwash and or iron the pieces before making up? It is a bit 'curly'!

Irishrach

mathwizard
06-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I would block it by individual pieces first and see what happens. I would also spray mist the blocking piece. You don't want to take the chance it will felt on you. I don't know enough about that kind of yarn but after all the work why take chances.

Mirl56
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Sewing the sides and bottom together will keep them from curling. But that purse has a flap at the top, doesn't it? So yes, could be some blocking is necessary.

I don't remember what kind of yarn you're using to suggest blocking method. plus I don't make much that needs blocking so my blocking knowledge is poor.

Irishmam
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes it is the bag with the flap and it is made from 'oddments' mostly a polyester mix I picked up for learning on.

Am going to spray as suggested and see how we get on. Very excited to have actually made something!

Lucy78green
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Are you lining it with fabric? Knitted things sometimes change dimensions after a good soaking, so if you plan to ever wash it when it's finished or get it wet you don't want it shrinking, widening etc cos the lining wont fit any more. It would be better to wash/soak and block first in that case.

Irishmam
06-13-2009, 05:44 AM
No I am not lining it and it is just for my daughter to use. I made it in yellow and pink, her 2 favourite colours so it will go with everything she owns. It is nearly finished, am still working the I-cord for the handle. Hope to be done by this evening. Will post a pic

Woodi
06-13-2009, 07:03 AM
I would block it first. Got any pics? would love to see a photo of it. Sounds great, congrats on finishing the pieces.