PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your electric razor

vaknitter
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I managed to drop and break my last electric razor a couple of years ago and now I have decided I'd like a new one.....anyone have one they love and want to recommend?

Jeremy
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I like Norelco razors. I was able to pick up a couple of them at TJMaxx a year or two ago. I can't remember the price but it was very inexpensive.

mizzie1946
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I managed to drop and break my last electric razor a couple of years ago and now I have decided I'd like a new one.....anyone have one they love and want to recommend?

Hubby has a favorite one its a Philips Nivea Men, blue and silver and has a nivea balm comes with it, hubby loves it, the nivea balm costs around 6 when you need to replace it, the razor cost 69 from Asda.:)

Mike
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I also like Norelco, but that's all I've ever used.
By the time my first one needed blades they stopped making them. I'm not as impressed with the new one.
My facial hair hasn't got any thicker, doesn't grow any faster and I'm not inclined to shave until I really need to and I've already needed blades. The replacement set is lasting better than the originals, maybe they were bad.
Luckily I made sure it would run with a cord because the battery is noticeably losing power after a couple of years.

Jeremy
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Hubby has a favorite one its a Philips Nivea Men, blue and silver and has a nivea balm comes with it, hubby loves it, the nivea balm costs around 6 when you need to replace it, the razor cost 69 from Asda.:)

Phillips is actually Norelco or vice versa. I have that Nivea model and its actually on of the razors I bought for $20 at TJ Maxx.

Arielluria
06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Norelco & Remington.........and one thing I've noticed, when my 'ladies' shaver broke and DH gave me his to use was that men's razors are much better for daily shaving and ladies best for longer hair. So keep that in mind. I only buy men's razors now.

Mike
06-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Norelco & Remington.........and one thing I've noticed, when my 'ladies' shaver broke and DH gave me his to use was that men's razors are much better for daily shaving and ladies best for longer hair. So keep that in mind. I only buy men's razors now.

Does that include foil vs rotary?
It's said among men's the rotary is for longer hair. But then the lady's seem to all be foil.

Arielluria
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I've never used a rotary, so can't speak to that, but love the men's foil.

Also, though the ladies' does cut longer hair better, it's a pain and takes way longer than a good ol' fashioned razor.

vaknitter
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you all for your input - guess I should have clarified that I am female and looking for an electric razor for my legs. During the summer I have to shave every other day to be able to wear shorts or skirts and my legs don't really appreciate that.

With Norelco and Remington any particular models ? It's so overwhelming...

Arielluria
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
They're both pretty reliable, or try looking it up in Consumer Reports, that's what I always do. And I like you have to shave really daily or at most every other day in summer, so I DEFINITELY recommend the men's shaver! The women's shaves long hair better, but not so well on short daily or semi-daily usage.

vaknitter
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the tip - my previous razor was a women's razor and only so-so at best and that's why when it busted I didn't rush to replace it.

Knitting_Guy
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Nothing beats a good old fashioned blade IMHO. When I shave (I keep a beard most of the time) I use a vintage Gillette double edge razor. I collect them and have several, but my favorite was made the same year I was born.

Jeremy
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for your input - guess I should have clarified that I am female and looking for an electric razor for my legs. During the summer I have to shave every other day to be able to wear shorts or skirts and my legs don't really appreciate that.

With Norelco and Remington any particular models ? It's so overwhelming...

For Norelco the cheaper the better. When the heads get dull I just toss it and get another. The cost to replace the blades is sometimes more than the cost of a new razor. I don't want to leave the impression that these razors don't last though. The one I'm using I've used for at least a couple of years and it cost, as I said, about $20 at TJ Maxx

Arielluria
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
BTW, I've used most Braun and have been very happy with those.

Mike
06-29-2009, 01:23 PM
For Norelco the cheaper the better. When the heads get dull I just toss it and get another. The cost to replace the blades is sometimes more than the cost of a new razor. I don't want to leave the impression that these razors don't last though. The one I'm using I've used for at least a couple of years and it cost, as I said, about $20 at TJ Maxx

Although I think Norelco overcharges for blades I can't agree with the cheaper the better.

If you got a Nivea for Men razor that doesn't qualify as a cheap one or old tech and was more like an amazing sale. Although for that price you may have got the discontinued model of lotion razors.

The cheap ones of new models are probably made in China rather than Holland. The cheap ones are probably using old blade technology and old head design.

A friend got a grand opening sale Norelco and while it was Lift and Cut blades the head design was more like my '80's Norelco and didn't do a good job of following contours.

Because of this thread I decided my early 2000's model needed blades, found out they were half the price of the razor which I had already replaced the blades once with and the battery was starting to die so I found an '08 model with new blade designs on sale.
Had I not found the sale I probably would've got one of the $30-$40 Chinese made ones with the blade tech equal to my 2000's model so I would've been happy with it, but these new blades are much nicer on my skin and give a closer shave.
I say go with the low end of the model you desire and find a sale. Then watch for a coupon or rebate to buy a set of replacement blades.

But this is all probably moot for this thread. For legs she probably wants a foil. I'm not sure if the Norelco body groomers are made in Holland or China, how much the replacements are or how good of quality they are.
As far as I know Norelco's "try it, you'll like it" guarantee goes for the body groomers too, but you do lose the shipping/insurance costs if the store won't take them back.