PDA

View Full Version : FO - February Lady Sweater

Phaedra
06-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Ok, I am finally blocking this thing! Really, I should have been finished waaayy back. I still have to get my fake buttons, as I'm planning on have snap closures. If this doesn't fit me, I'll be searching someone to give this to.
Yarn: BMFA Woobu (wool/bamboo) Raven "Corbie" (black,green & blue) -the bamboo changes the saturation of color to a silvery grey with the green and blue. Used almost 2 skeins (each was 620 yards).
Size: XL
Modifications: ribbed collar and bands, knit yoke instead of garter, alternated gull lace with a panel of stockinette stitch and longer sleeves (decreased in the under-arm area by 7 stitches).
The second pic is my initial swatch which shows the colors more accurately.

Sknitter56
06-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow, Phaedra..that is really gorgeous. I need to make up my mind to tackle another sweater. It's been a while since I made one. I really :heart: that one. The color is great!

Jan in CA
06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I love it!!

TEMA
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
WOW! Great job!:thumbsup:
TEMA:knitting:

wezyus
06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
superbbbbbbbbbbb gr8 jobs n thnks for sharing

GinnyG
06-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Very nice job!! I like your mods, I'm not a huge fan of garter stitch (other than it being easy to do) and like the stockinette stitch panels (less bulk). I've considered another FLS and if I do it'll be with your mods!

mwhite
06-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Beautiful color and love that sweater! You've done a nice job on it!:cheering:

Slim
06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
It's beautiful! I love your mods, and the color is great. Lovely work.

margz3
06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Gorgeous! Great mods too - I totally love :heart: the colorway!

WandaT
06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Beautiful!!! Love the color and your mods!!

Doublereeder2
06-22-2009, 11:26 AM
That is gorgeous. I also like the stockinette instead of garter stitch. I can't wait to see it with buttons and modeled :p

gotta knit
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Very nice! Great job personalizing it, the stockinette really brings out the lace work.

trishknitz
06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Beautiful. Is this the LionBrand pattern? I have been debating making it 4 myself - this has convinced me to try it!!

Phaedra
06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Beautiful. Is this the LionBrand pattern? I have been debating making it 4 myself - this has convinced me to try it!!
Thank you; but this is Elizabeth Zimmerman's "February Baby Sweater" that was modified by Pamela Wynne for us older babies.:teehee: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/february-lady-sweater
It's a Ravelry pdf. download. (By the way, the pattern was updated this past April)

Phaedra
06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
I think I should have left the collar and band in garter stitch. And will do so if I make another.
I need to get some grosgrain ribbon to line the backs of the bands (I'm thinking dark grey or black) before I sew on my snaps (probably four) and find some buttons for the front (again four).
This is where my portable swatch will come in handy to match ribbon and buttons. Oh, yeah I forgot--I need thread too.

Suziblues
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
WOW! Thats pretty!:thumbsup:

auburnchick
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Ohhhhh...that's so pretty!!! I love seeing the different yarns people are using for this sweater! You chose a great color!

trishknitz
06-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Thank you; but this is Elizabeth Zimmerman's "February Baby Sweater" that was modified by Pamela Wynne for us older babies.:teehee: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/february-lady-sweater
It's a Ravelry pdf. download. (By the way, the pattern was updated this past April)
Thanks - I knew I'd seen it. One more thing - i had a quick look at the instructions, I haven't knitted on circular needles before - any tips? Also, on Row 4, what does the abbreviation PM mean? Could someone translate into Australian for me?!! Is it place marker?

MerigoldinWA
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Very nice. Your modifications worked well. Pretty color.

ArtLady1981
06-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Very very nice work! Looks like you 'block' your sweaters, the stitches are so nice and even and perfect!

Phaedra
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks - I knew I'd seen it. One more thing - i had a quick look at the instructions, I haven't knitted on circular needles before - any tips? Also, on Row 4, what does the abbreviation PM mean? Could someone translate into Australian for me?!! Is it place marker?
Well, I like to use circulars even when a pattern calls for straights; the weight of the item is then on the wire and not my hands and wrists.
But to knit a "tube", you want to make sure your beginning row is not twisted before you connect the first cast on stitch and the last cast on stitch. And you're correct that PM = place marker.
I'd advise you to get a good quality circular; one with a very smooth join between the needle ends and the wire/cord.
The body of the sweater is knitted back and forth; when you come to the end of your row, flip the whole thing around and start on the other end.
When it comes time for the sleeves, you pick up the stitches you had put on a holder (I used scrap yarn in a different color and tied in a knot) and begin to knit in the "round" forming sleeve (tube). I didn't have a short circular (and haven't learned Magic Loop) so I used double pointed needles for my sleeves. It wasn't fun. :teehee: But it worked. I also used the suggestion of rolling the completed sweater body up and tying up like a meat loin. That way while I did my sleeves, I could just flip the "package" in my lap as need be. And this also helped to make it a portable knit project (it traveled quite a bit between work and home).
I hope this is helpful; there are tons of others here who might be able to chime in on this.

Dimpledapple
06-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Great job! :thumbsup: My FLS has been hibernating for several months now. Maybe now I'll get inspired to finish it!