PDA

View Full Version : Is Woolite Ok?

dejamo85
06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I am wondering if it is ok to use a couple drops of Woolite in my water when I block.
Any thoughts? How much?

knitasha
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure why you would want to do that.
If the sweater is dirty, it needs to be washed and rinsed before blocking. If it is clean, why put detergent on it?

There is some controversy among knitters about Woolite. Some say it contains harsh ingredients that can harm colors and fibers. I don't know, but I read an interesting post on Ravelry by a knowledgeable person who said that Woolite was considered milder than regular laundry products in the days when everything was washed with lye-based soap and hot water. Detergents in general have become much milder and most clothes now come clean in cold water, so Woolite is no longer milder by comparison.

There are newer, more natural products made specifically for washing wool. They include Eucalan, Soak and Kookaburra Wool Wash. They are very gentle to protein fibers. A lot of people also use mild shampoo to wash wool with good results.

Plantgoddess+
06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I have used Woolite for my handknitted and handwashed items for over 30 years and have no complaints. I'm still wearing sweaters I knit 30 years ago and they look great. No color fading, no damage to the wool or fabric of any item.
I have to say that I'm not one to try new items when what I have works well so I can't say if any of the other products work better or worse.