PDA

View Full Version : Casting on extra stitches in circular knitting

nickwhit
06-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Hello,

I'm new to knitting and am starting on my first proper pattern (only done scarves and tea cosies so far), so naturally I have hundreds of questions, and would be very grateful for any help. Today's questions is this: following the pattern, I've just transferred from straight to circular needles, and for the next 8 rows have to cast on 11 stitches at the beginning of each row. Which works fine on straight needles, but on circs means that you end up with a long piece of wool between the last stitch of the previous round and the 'old' first stitch which goes underneath the new 11 stitches. I've been doing a knitted cast-on; should I be increasing in some other way?

With thanks in advance for any help!

Irishmam
06-23-2009, 06:11 AM
I have absolutely no idea as I am also in the process of making my 1st garment but am awaiting the answer with eagerness as I am about to do my 1st ever circular knitting for the sleeves! Thanks for asking the question

Irishmam

nickwhit
06-23-2009, 06:17 AM
PS - just noticed suzeeq that you're a mod here, and wanted to thank you for help with the same pattern over on ravelry.

Mirl56
06-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Can you tell us exactly what you're making? Can you post a link to the pattern? Or did SuzeeQ already answer your question?

nickwhit
06-23-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm knitting the Debbie Bliss Molly Bolero. Can't post link to pattern but the relevant portion (after knitting rows of st st on straight needles) is

'Change to circ needles.
Shape sleeves
Cast on 11 sts at beg of next 8 rows
Work 36 rows in st st'

Suzeeq helped on another separate-but-related question (told you I had lots!).

Mirl56
06-23-2009, 06:57 AM
OK, while you are switching to circular needles, you are not joining into the round. You are still knitting flat. They just want it on circular needles so you can hold more stitches then you could on the straight needles.

So you are on the circular needles, just cast on 8 stitches at the end where the yarn is coming off. I'd use a cable or knit cast on.
After you have cast on those 8 stitches, turn your work and knit to the end. Cast on 8 stitches at the end of that row.

nickwhit
06-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Aha! That makes perfect sense.Thank you so much. .

suzeeq
06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, it's no different on circs than straights, you just cast on the sts and will be knitting flat.