PDA

View Full Version : The best circular needles?

yelppuppy
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I have the Susan Bates cirular needles and they drive me insane! The part where the cord and the needles connect isn't smooth, so it's a pain to push it back and forth.

I spent hours on google, amazon and ebay, and Addi jumps out. It's so expensive though! Has anyone here used Addi? Is it really smooth? Any other brands that you'd recommend?

Jan in CA
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Uhh... it's all personal preference. Go to the search and type in needles, interchangeable or something like that and you'll get a lot of previous posts.

globaltraveler
06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes, Addi is wonderful if you like smooth (but not the very smoothest depending upon who you ask) metal needles. If you like slippery wood needles, or not too smooth metal needles, or indeed anything else, you won't like them. :)

Definitely -- TRY before you buy. No one knits like you, so Jan's tip is key -- it really IS a matter of personal preference. Search the threads on the subject, there's lots.

Ingrid
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
If you're looking at Addis, though, they are worth every penny.

ArtLady1981
06-24-2009, 03:04 AM
I have taken the smoothest part of an 'emery' board and filed the snaggy parts of a 'join' smooth. It works! Just keep sanding away til the snag is gone. It's worth a try! It worked for me!

And yes, Addi circs are the greatest!
And so are KnitPicks OPTIONS and HARMONY'S.

cftwo
06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I like my Addi circulars, too. My Crystal Palace ones have nice tips, but the connections between cord and needle squeeks and drives me bananas. Personal preference, as Jan says. (I also have Susan Bates/Boye circulars and Clover bamboo needles - they're OK, but not in the same class as the Addis.)

sakura-panda
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I have the Knit Picks Harmony Options (and I love them a lot!) and I've been aquiring the nickel plated tips as I think I need them. However, I handled the Addi Clicks at the LYS yesterday and suddenly I'm tempted to get a set. :) If only they weren't so expensive!

Choosing needles really is a personal decision -- I don't think there is an overall BEST set, just what is best for each INDIVIDUAL. There are several excellent and detailed threads that discuss the differences, pros and cons of interchangeable needles -- I read all the ones that I could find before I purchased mine and it helped me make the decision.

wednesday
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I love my Knit picks Nickle Option set and find them slicker than my Addis I also think the cord is softer than on the Addis, also the KP are pointier than the regular Addis. I love the fact that you can use both the metal and wood tips with the same cables so if you need to you can order individual sizes in different materials. Addis do come in shorter length than KP and sometimes that is nice too.
I received the KP set as a Christmas present 2 years ago and have added a few needles and cables as well as oredering some of the Harmony DPN's love all of them. I have only added a few Addis and most of those were a gift from my mother she bought them in Germany for me where they are about half the cost.
My advise is to see if you can try different needles before you make the investment. For instance I like the KA Bamboo needles but not the Clover Bamboo so there is a difference, somebody else may like the exact opposite

cresmoon
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
This page might help (under the "interchangeable knitting needles" section there's a review of most of the major interchangeable needle sets available today, including an Addi clicks review):

http://www.knittersreview.com/tools.asp

yelppuppy
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I've been browsing a lot of threads since I posted it. Looks like Addi or KnitPick are the most popular ones.

I never considered "interchangeable" type because I thought the connecting part wouldn't be smooth, but i guess that's not a problem on good brands.

I knit very tight and I work with rough and stiff yarns, so I have a feeling that I'll like the smoothest kind I can find. Both KP and Addi sound great. I saw one review saying that KP points are pointier than Addi, which I have no idea if is a good or a bad thing for me.

I won't have a chance to try either of them in person as no stores nearby carry either of them. I'll just have to take the plunge! I'm still debating between interchangeable or fixed. I need at least 3-4 sizes, but they're probably all I need. What a tough choice...

mathwizard
06-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Everyone has their preference. I have the new Addi interchangeable set as well as the Boye Needlemaster set. I like both! I bought a single Addi to go with one I already had to knit two socks at the same time. The join on one of the Addi wasn't smooth so I sanded away until it was. Nothing you buy is perfectly made and sometimes you have to fix it the best you can. I like my needles to be metal as I find them easier to work with. Others like wood as they aren't cold in the winter. I never have cold needles but I like mine as they are.:cheering:

knitpurlgurl
06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
MY faves are Addi Turbo and Knit Picks Options or Knit Picks fixed.. LOVE 'em. I won't use anything else now.

cresmoon
06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Has anyone here ever tried Susan Bates Velocity nickel-plated needles? If so, what did you think of them?

Noia
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I just bought a KA Switch set and LOVE them.

The join with the needle/cord is perfectly smooth, the cord is light and flexable and the best thing is the cord swivels so your work moves freely and your needles never loosen up when you knit.

The needles themselves are bamboo (with no metal options) and perfect. Not super pointy (KP) but not dull either. So there's no splitting of yarn issues or stabbing your fingers. I LOVE this set.

I know the love people have for their KP needles and they always say part of it is their less expensive, but if you do the math KA is really the less expensive set in the long run.

KA - needle sizes 5-15 and 8 cords 16' - 53' $89.10 (from Vintage Knits)

KP - needles 4-11 - 4 cords 24' & 32' - $79

If you buy the extra cords/needles from KP you're going to end up spending about $115. And KP doesn't have cords smaller then 24' inches which means buying more needles or learning to magic loop for smaller pieces.

lulubell
06-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I have been using a dreadful brand Craftco which has a flattened connection bit of all things and each stitch had to be coaxed over the join.
Then I discovered Knitpicks which has now changed to Knitpro in NZ and got some (fixed only). Oh my goodness the absolute bliss of having decent needles! Soft flexible cable, smooth tapered joins, smooth nickle plated needles, points sharp enough to get into the tightest spot.......Happy happy happy!

suzeeq
06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Knitpro is a German/international company which makes the needles Knitpicks sell as Options and Harmony under license to them. But it does help get the same needles out to countries knitpicks doesn't ship to.

lulubell
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I have done it!! I have ordered the de luxe set of Knit Picks Options Nickel-Plated Interchangeables from www.vintagepurls.co.nz

Def need to lock the credit card away for a while now!!

cresmoon
06-29-2009, 10:15 PM
For anyone who wants to try Addis and can't buy them locally, the Skacel people told me about the following site where you can buy them and shipping is free:

www.euronaturayarns.com

cresmoon
07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Bumping up this thread because it's the most relevant to the question I need to ask: what is the difference between the Addi lace needles and the Turbo ones? I implied from the name that the lace ones are for knitting lace, but otherwise, how are they different from each other? Different material or drag or what?

Ingrid
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I believe the Addi lace needles are pointier.

As a side note, the Knitpicks needles are also pointier than the Addis.

suzeeq
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
The lace needles can be used for knitting other things besides lace, they're just pointier so it can be easier to do the decs with them. I have Boye and susan Bates needles that are quite pointy and have no problems knitting lace with either of them.