PDA

View Full Version : stretching

mathwizard
06-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Has anyone ever had this problem? I knitted a hat for my son on circular needles. It was Ann Norling's Spiral Rib Hat. My son loved it and wore it a lot after I frogged it and made it longer for him. I used Caron Simply soft yarn. He washed it the other day, at last, and now he says it is stretched out of shape and way too big. I have used acrylic yarn before and never had this happen. My concern is the yarn I used to make his hat is the same yarn he chose for me to make his kimono with. I have one front side dome and half of the other front side done. Dilemma!!! What to do???? I can't understand why this happened. I have used many acrylics over the years and never had this happen before. He wants me to make him a new hat.

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Did he dry it in the dryer? Some yarns that are washable need to be machine dried as well as washed or they stretch out.

mathwizard
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
If you have to lay it out flat he won't do it. Wash and dry to him means into the washing machine and from there into the dryer. Caron is machine dry. My only concern is the kimono I am making him. He hasn't let me see the hat yet. I don't know if he is afraid I will be upset. I will have to get it away from him somehow to access the damage.

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 09:52 PM
That's odd... I've made stuff from SS and washed and dried them with no stretching. It could be it got tangled up in the wash with something that stretched it then. Have him wash it with light weight items (like t shirts) and dry again. That should help.

khaosx5
06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
many of the new acrylics stretch out when put in the dryer - with the new softer fibres, the heat actually breaks the fibre down...
:knitting:

mathwizard
06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I finally got to see the hat. It has a nice tight cast on row and a space big enough for a cantaloupe, lol. It did stretch out quite a bit. At my LYS, last night we talked about it and the consensus was there must be some cotton hidden in there as putting acrylics in the dryer usually brings it back into shape. Oh, the kimono.

suzeeq
06-26-2009, 09:06 AM
There's no cotton in Simply soft, it's all acrylic. All cotton yarns go back to shape in the dryer too. Try washing and drying again and see if it goes back where it should.