PDA

View Full Version : What should it say?

bella31594
06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I frequently have problems with my work that i ask about on this site, but i'm always told that i need more information. does that mean i should put up the entire pattern (i do everything from a book), or should i just be more specific as to my problem? the more answers the better, thanks!

globaltraveler
06-24-2009, 06:17 PM
You shouldn't put up the entire pattern as there's often copyright issues. Being specific about your problem is usually a good idea if you want a specific answer. :)

imrachel
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
It's like this: If someone says, "I'm supposed to increase 6 times and I can't understand what that means", it's really hard to figure that out, there's no context to it. But if they say, "I'm working on the sleeves. It tells me to increase 1 st on either side, every 8th row, 6 times. I don't understand what to do", THEN it's easy to them exactly what to do. Copyright is an issue, sometimes even if it's a free pattern. (I know, weird.) So if it's free, you can provide a link or the name and website of it, and then we can go straight to the pattern. If it's from a book or magazine or other paid source, then you can write out a few sentences if you need to, you just can't scan the pattern or write out the whole thing.

mathwizard
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Sometimes you may only need one or two answers. Other times the more you get the better.
In the case of: "It tells me to increase 1 st on either side, every 8th row, 6 times. I don't understand what to do". Either side is vague. But otherwise I would say increase one stitch on a specific side, then again 8 rows later until I have made six increases. Lets say you start with 45 sts. After the first increase you would have 46 then eight rows later you would increase again and have 47 and would increase eight rows later and have 48 until you have a total of 51 sts. I am doing a decrease from 74 to 69 stitches. I decrease on the 19th row and every 20th thereafter until I have 69 stitches. It does say thereafter 4 more times ( total of 5 decrease rows) and mathematically 74 -5 = 69.
I hope that helps. Reading the pattern can bedifficult but asking for help can clarify it for you. There are always private messages.

suzeeq
06-24-2009, 09:38 PM
You can't put up the entire pattern, but if there's a couple rows that you don't understand, typing those rows makes it very clear to us what you need to do and doesn't violate copyright laws. If it's an online pattern, a link to it is even better.

Mirl56
06-25-2009, 06:35 AM
If it is from a book or magazine, you can still put the name of the book/author and the name of the pattern. Lots of people have lots of books and someone might have it. Plus, we might be able to find a pic of it online, that might also be enough to help more.