PDA

View Full Version : ugh

AH1OZ
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
I had this FANTASTIC project idea in my head, but I didn't want to knit it flat and than seam it, so I needed buy larger double pointed needles than I have (I can do magic loop, but prefer double pointed)

after searching for WEEKS for size 9, 10 or 10 1/2 double pointed needles I finally found some size 10 bamboo double pointed needles. They were a little more expensive than I wanted them to be, but my last resort was online, and shipping to my area would have cost me even more!

so when I got home I jumped right into my project (the yarn was just sitting there waiting to be used). I had never used bamboo before - I learned on wood, but not bamboo... and my preference is metal.

UGH!!

The bamboo is so "sticky", my work doesn't flow nicely. I couldn't keep my tension right, I was knitting so slowly because the yarn wasn't sliding on my needles.

UGH!!!

so now I have an expensive set of needles that I will never use... unless someone has some tips... I am tempted to try and sand them, and than varnish them!!! But I don't know if I can do that!!!

UGH!!!

HELP!!!!

suzeeq
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
You could try rubbing waxed paper on them, and the yarn you use makes a difference. A slippery yarn like silk or bamboo, or a thin one, work great with bamboo needles.

Craw
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
What kind of yarn are you using? It can make a difference when you're using bamboo. The very first set of bamboo needles I purchased I returned. I was trying to use Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick on them and the stitches not only didn't slide off, but they would NOT come off at all. Immediately I thought : why would anyone use bamboo? It stinks! LOL But it works well for some yarns and not for others.