PDA

View Full Version : would a kitchener stitch work for this?

sorifes
06-29-2009, 02:33 AM
so this blanket http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-windowpaneThrow.html is made in strips. It's an entirely garter stitch. I've made this before and I just kinda sewed the pieces together somewhat pretending I knew what I was doing. The good news is, I don't own the blanket I gave it to someone else.

Anyhow, I'm going to make it again for my daughter but entirely in wool. When (this might be a long time off but I'm planning) I put these sections together would a kitchener stitch work to make it look kinda seamless? I'm thinking not, but I hope someone might have a good idea to make it not look like it's obvious that it was in sections. That and I don't want it to crease in those sections to make that seem obvious too.

globaltraveler
06-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Don't see why not, but that's a LOT of stitch holders if you're going to put all the bits together at the end instead of grafting them together as you go, plus you'll need to start off all the sections that don't have a bound off edge with a provisional cast-on so you'll have something to graft. :) You'll also still need to seam the sides of the strips.

If it was ME, I'd think that it would be best to sew the whole thing, though (mattress stitch, I'd say), as it'll make the entire back look like the seams are a "feature".

Mirl56
06-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm not quite sure what you'd be kitchener-ing. You need live stitches to live stitches for that. In this blanket, you're knitting 7 long stripes and then sewing them together at the sides. Mattress stitch would be best for that.

4 of the strips are one color only. 3 have very wide stripes.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html
Here's a tut that talks about mattress stitch when you need to seam garter to garter stitch.

Crycket
06-29-2009, 08:01 AM
good ol' matress stitch....I agree!

GinnyG
06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I just read an interesting Yarn Harlot blog about Kitchner. S he talks about how, when she first learned Kitchner she used it on everything only to find that there are many times when the seam adds stability and shape to a garment and Kitchner doesn't work.

In looking quickly at the pattern, it doesn't appear that there are two sets of live stitches that you could graft. I also think this may be a case where the seaming provides stability.

globaltraveler
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Duh -- of course, Mirl, she's just changing colors, isn't she? LOL -- what I get for posting first thing in the morning...

sorifes
06-29-2009, 05:43 PM
yeah I was looking at the matress stitch and I wondered about that but there's gonna be no 'v' so to speak of. I'm just troubled with it cause the entire thing is in a garter stitch. I just just hell with the actual pattern and made it stocknit with a inch boarder around in garter. I guess that way when I do matress stitch it it'll look right.

Thanks guys :D

Crycket
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I have done matress on garter stitch before...to my reculections...it worked out fine...