PDA

View Full Version : FO: Whisper Cardigan

Slim
07-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Pattern is Whisper Cardigan from Spring 2009 Interweave Knits. Yarn is KnitPicks Shadow laceweight merino in the Oregon Coast Heather colorway, held double throughout.

Love the yarn! Iíll definitely use it again. But I have to say that I donít love the sweater. It feels too small and binds under the arms. Guess I should have made a larger size, or maybe this style just isnít for me Ė Iíll probably be giving it to my d-i-l. Beautiful colors, though.

scout52
07-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I think it looks great on you. I also like how you added ribbing to the sleeves

Did you cast on with less stitches on the sleeves? or did it come out smaller because you doubled the yarn and it changed the gauge? I am working on the whisper cardigan as well and I am using a lace weight alpaca. the sleeves were HUGE. I had to reknit the sleeves with 10 less stitches. i know other people were having issues with the size of the sleeves.

AngieLanigan
07-05-2009, 04:07 PM
oh, it's so pretty! I love how the ribbing of the collar goes around to the back of the cardigan!

Debkcs
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Slim, it does look very good on you. Would not reblocking it help some, maybe over something round for the arm hole area?

Maybe ArtLady would have some ideas on that.

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2009, 05:41 PM
That looks very, very good. Great job! :thumbsup:

Slim
07-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I think it looks great on you. I also like how you added ribbing to the sleeves

Did you cast on with less stitches on the sleeves? or did it come out smaller because you doubled the yarn and it changed the gauge? I am working on the whisper cardigan as well and I am using a lace weight alpaca. the sleeves were HUGE. I had to reknit the sleeves with 10 less stitches. i know other people were having issues with the size of the sleeves.

Thanks. Now that I think of it, I did cast on fewer stitches for the sleeves. I saw comments on Ravelry about the size of the bell sleeves and decided to eliminate the bell sleeve and just cast on 76, so the sleeve is straight. What alpaca yarn are you using? I may make this again, and will probably use laceweight single stranded and make a larger size.

Slim
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Slim, it does look very good on you. Would not reblocking it help some, maybe over something round for the arm hole area?

Maybe ArtLady would have some ideas on that.

Thank you. I really blocked the heck out of it, but didn't gain much in size. I plan on taking it on vacation to Santa Fe and I'll probably wear it a lot -- maybe it'll stretch out or I'll get more used to the way it fits. I really do love the look of it, just not how it feels.

bambi
07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
It is a lovely color and looks good on you!

Bambi

scout52
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Ahh ok. I re-casted on the same amount. I got the yarn from this company in Bolivia. It is gorgeous and super soft. Here is the link
http://www.handicraft-bolivia.com/liste_produit.php?id_subcat=80

WandaT
07-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Wow ... it sure is beautiful! Hopefully you'll "break it in" and it will be more comfortable to wear. Love it!

Doublereeder2
07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
It looks gorgeous! :yay:

wezyus
07-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Gr8 jobs ...its' so beautiful n nice color

motherpink
07-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I love the colour taupe it gose with anything, and the ribbing in the middle body gives an extra texture and not boring to look at. I like it.

mwhite
07-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Very nice, Slim! Love the color and the style! Your DIL will love it!!!

ArtLady1981
07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Slim!

You look wonderful in your Whisper! I'm really surprised that the re-blocking didn't help. Did you 'mist block' or did you use the 'full spa' blocking?

Well, it sounds like you are going to keep this sweater, so if it doesn't stretch out comfortably when you wear it on your trip...the first time you hand wash it...when you lay it out to dry, try to coax that area to a larger size. When the yarns are fully soaked they might comply better to re-sizing. (I'm adding this comment based on my assumption that you 'mist blocked' the sleeve area in your re-block).

MerigoldinWA
07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
It looks very classy, sorry it doesn't feel right in the sleeves. Pretty sweater.

gotta knit
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Sorry it doesn't feel as good as it looks. You did a great job on it.

dturner
07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
It's beautiful! I haven't been brave enough to tackle a sweater yet. You did a great job!

Vertigo1414
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
i actually just ordered the back issue of interweve for this pattern and i ordered some yarn from knitpicks(got gift certificate for b-day) just for the sweater. yours looks great