PDA

View Full Version : UGH... FLEAS..HELP ME!!!

KnitWit1987
07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
This morning I was sleeping and my cat jumped in bed with me, she layed there for a minute and left. Immediatly after I felt something crawling on me.. it was a tiny orangish/reddish bug. I smashed it between my fingers and carried it to the bathroom to put it in a piece of toliet paper. I opened my fingers and the damn thing was still alive!! Unbelievable! I still got a good look at it before it jumped away. From what I can find its a cat flea. I gave my dogs a bath with flea and tick shampoo and neither one of them have any fleas. So. the cat is the culprit.:tap: Now, obviously there is no way in hell she will let me bath her with the flea shampoo.

Does anyone have expierence with this? Is there a certain brand/product I should use? I have heard that the collars do not work once they already have fleas. Am I going to have to fog my house? Call pest control? AHH I HATE BUGS!! :hair:

auntcrafty
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
My boss uses Frontline for cats. The shampoo has never been 100% for the dogs -- she has bathed them, treated them with Frontline for dogs, and flea bombs the whole house. The cats are indoor, so the dogs & people are the culprits for bringing them in.

Knitting_Guy
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, go to your vet and buy some of the liquid that goes between the shoulder blades, there are several brands available, Frontline being one. Get the stuff from the vet not the grocery, it works better.

Get some for the dogs too. Much more effective than the shampoo.

Jan in CA
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
We use Frontline Plus and Terminator powder for fleas on carpet, furniture, etc. I don't think they make the Terminator any more, but this is about the same. It's a borate type flea powder that stops fleas for at least a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Fleabusters-Rx-Fleas-Plus-Lb/dp/B000MS6Q2Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1246839255&sr=8-7

bailsmom
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree, go with the Frontline Plus for cats. I never had a flea problem until last year. We walk our pup twice a day and she's gotten the flea meds for years. Well, apparently last year the fleas were so bad that they came in on our pant legs! That's according to our vet, I had no clue. So once we found them on the cats we started treating them and they have no fleas now. I treat all 3 of them at the same time every month so we have no more problems.

Yes, it can be expensive, but at least they aren't suffering with tiny bugs biting them all day. Look around online to see what the best price is for the medication. It's odd too, my vet is cheaper for the cat's flea meds, but more expensive for the dogs. So I get the dogs through Drs Foster and Smith.

Good luck! Fleas are no fun for anyone.

vaknitter
07-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I have no advice for cat fleas as I have dogs....just wanted you to know you have my sympathies. Our dogs have never had fleas and last year our youngest brought them home from a dog friendly cabin we rented at a state park. I found 3 on her at 11:00 one night and threw her in the tub so fast her head spun and made the poor hubby strip beds and towels to put in laundry, vacuum etc. This year the fleas are horrible and they just come in the door walking on the dog and us !!! I just bathed her yesterday and knock on wood the fleas are not nesting on her

Jan in CA
07-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I found 3 on her at 11:00 one night and threw her in the tub so fast her head spun and made the poor hubby strip beds and towels to put in laundry, vacuum etc.

Whoa..sounds more like a treatment for lice not fleas. :teehee: We have both cats and a dog. The previous treatments I mentioned work great for both and I live in flea heaven..southern California.

KnitWit1987
07-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone! I am going through the nesting stage and this happens :pout: Anyway I am going to go to the vet tomorrow and get stuff for the dogs and cat.

I haven't sat down all day.. im going insane. I washed my bed sheets in hot water 5 times and I am washing all dog and cat beds. I have vaccumed my entire house atleast 3 times plus mopping and cleaning everything!!

I have found a lot of articles online about how to get rid of the fleas, which seems like a long process. For those of you who have had this problem, did you find them easy to get rid of? Please tell me I am freaking out over nothing (again lol) :muah:

Jan in CA
07-05-2009, 11:35 PM
It sounds like you've got it covered with maybe a little overkill. :lol: One thing you can do is put a flea collar (one that kills fleas) in your vacuum bag. Or some flea powder that also kills. Some just repel and that wouldn't work. You do want to be careful with poisons, but you gotta kill the little suckers.

thecatsmother
07-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I use Advantage on my cat and it works great,before that I flea problems a few times.Once I had to have the professionals in,the other times I did it myself with flea powder and heavy duty cleaning.I second that about putting the flea collar or powder in the vaccum bag.
We also used a flea killer on the backyard since our problems started after we moved house,the house was brand new but it had been built on an site that had a derelict house on it,we even had fleas come in on the kids.

mwhite
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
DOT ALL OF THE FUR-BABIES with Revolution, Frontline or Advantage!!! All of these work and just have to be applied monthly. Much easier than flea baths.

Make sure you're using cat stuff for cats and dog stuff for dogs....Cats' livers can't filter the same dosage as dogs and may harm or kill them.

We use Revolution and have no fleas or ticks! The Revolution also controls ear mites and prevents heartworms.

vaknitter
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
We do use Frontline, so the fleas have not nested in her ...they were just walking about on her fur....which is what the ticks do to - they do not attach to her and if they do they die and fall off b/c of the Frontline.

Can you Frontline the cat and lock it in one room for a few days for all the fleas to fall off and then sterilize that one room? Also, I seem to recall my cousin buying cat wipes - she would wipe the cat down rather than give it a bath....which if you try to bathe the cat I'd like pictures of the aftermath :teehee:

saracidaltendencies
07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Definitely Frontline or Advantage. Never get the liquid flea treatments that you can buy at pet stores and grocery stores, those things can be lethal!

Be sure to use the treatment on all your animals (if more than just the cat) and vacuum a few times a day, making sure to use the vacuum attachments on any furniture you're kitty may lay on.

We had fleas here REALLY bad one year, and one year only. We treated all our cats and our dogs with Advantage one time and it killed all the fleas and they never came back. Also, though, we got rid of a lot of carpeting so that helped as well...lol...

Sewing Angel
07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Another thing, when you apply it wear rubber gloves so that you don't get it on your skin. I keep a box of the thin gloves around for this sort of thing. Frontline works great on my furry friends.

catlvr
07-07-2009, 01:39 PM
The very best treatment I've found is to have your carpets cleaned by the professionals once a year. I have it done every April/May before the fleas are a problem. We live in south Texas, which is flea capitol of the world. Also, put the Advantage on your dog (if you have one), and on your cat. Get it from the vet, the store stuff is overly strong, and I heard on Fox News that it has killed some dogs and cats!!

Craw
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I use Frontline Plus on the dog and it works great. I get it from 1800PetMeds.com. We also have to spray the yard for fleas. One year the doggie got them so bad we had to have a professional in here to clean up. That was the vet's fault. We caught the problem early, she gave us Advantix, which didn't work at all, and instead of recommending a med that did work, she told us to keep giving the dog more and more Advantix. We were up to a treatment a week for something like 6 weeks and in that time the house became infested. The poor dog was getting cortisone shots in addition to all that flea medicine. It's a wonder she survived. I finally went off on my own and got the Frontline to try on the advice of the exterminator. Good stuff and no more problems since.

motherpink
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Also put flea powder against the skirting board in every room that's where they mostly go. Be careful they don't bite you. Oh yes cat fleas can bite humans.