PDA

View Full Version : allergies: can't stop coughing etc.

VictoiseC
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, I know I need to go to a doctor but until I get there... actually I was given some pills and I misplaced them can you believe it. I truly thought this allergy thing was going to end after the spring blooming, it's relatively new for me. I think just the past 2 summers it's started up but this year I feel like I might die sometimes from my throat closing up and the coughing. It's July for goodness sake.

I have 2 cats but have always had cats. I am dusting the house and vacuuming all the time. I'm in northern New York Catskills (and Manhattan) and it rained for almost 2 weeks straight so I heard a lady say her doctor said that's why it's so bad, the dampness. AND I smoke somewhat, at night. Well, just wondering if anyone else is suffering from pollen... I keep getting a sore throat if I go outside to garden, yesterday was horrible. I took an antihistamine, Diphenhydramine, and it just got worse and worse.

traceleighj
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
So sorry, but I know how you feel! I have allergies and asthma. My doctor has said that some years will be bad and others just fine. Well, this year has been HORRIBLE!!! I have cats (I can't get rid of them, just won't get any more) and I am OCD about my house any ways, but man this is horrible. My eyes are all watery and itchy, that makes me rub them (BAD!) and my eyelids are now red, irritated and dry.
Have you tried Claritin OTC? I can't use it myself (tried but it makes me too drowsy. Switched to prescription Allegra)

newamy
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
My daughter has allergies and asthma and it has been a bad year. She had to adjust/change lots of her meds this spring, but now she seems to be getting back on track.

If you are coughing a lot is is probably/possibly asthma. Often the first sign of asthma is a simple cough. Not wheezing or "asthma attacks". Asthma is an over production of mucous and this over production is exacerbated by allergies and smoking.

I'd certainly advise you to quit smoking. Also make sure you see a doctor who specializes in allergies and asthma. My daughter's doc is wonderful...he treats lots of folks in our town.

Jan in CA
07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree with Amy that it could very well be asthma which is serious and more than just an annoying runny nose, etc. Please go to a doctor!

knitasha
07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
All this rain has been washing away the tree pollen: good news.
But the mold spores are in heaven: bad news.
You may have a mold allergy .
Or not.
Or asthma. Or not.
You won't know for sure until you get tested.
Don't let the doctor just hand you a script:
get tested for all the common allergens in your area.

If OTC drugs like Claritin don't help, you might consider a nasal wash, like a neti pot. They rinse away the allergens and irritants you are breathing and soothe the membranes. Many people swear by them.
And nobody has to tell you that the smoking isn't helping your cough.

Crycket
07-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I have allergies and asthma....fun huh...

Yeah...I am working with Reactine right now...but even that can have moments when it doesn't work...

I am allergic to EVERYTHING outside...trees grass pollen mites, dust, cats, horses, etc....

My asthma as it happens is actually activated by colds, not allergies..which is funny....but c'est la vie....

I guess...my condolences...it sux, but you certainly aren't alone!

cftwo
07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm in central PA and I've been sneezing like crazy lately, too. I can usually wean off my allergy meds mid summer, but I'm back on them and hoping that it helps with the sneezing. I've been blaming it on stirring up dust as I am in still unpacking from my move.

VictoiseC
07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
THANK you all so much.... yes, I guess I got to gets to that doctor! I felt much better yesterday, then went outside to plant some flowers and it came right back. I can't believe I'm supposed to stay in the house all the time, it's so weird.
The tip about asthma, that's scary, but I guess that's what it could be. I will find out. And yeah, I'm trying to quit smoking, have been for some time and it's getting much more difficult to do it now so.... I'll look into those various medicines too, THANKS again ladies. (rubbing the eyes, me too! yuk!)

VictoiseC
07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
P.S. I"m glad to hear it's not just me (although sorry for your suffering) Somehow it helps to know you are not the only one, or doing something wrong ha)

VictoiseC
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Nitasha... I have a neti pot! Well, my husband does, he bought one and never used it much. I will have to give it a try.

themonkeygirl
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Have you thought about changing out your household products? Many people are actually allergic to all the toxic chemicals in cleaners that we all use in our houses. So all your cleaning might actually be inflaming your asthma.