PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Scarf

MerigoldinWA
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
My daughter picked the pattern Swirl Shawl for a scarf. The designer, Lijuan Jing has changes for a scarf version of the shawl. You were supposed to make 3 rows of the motifs but I thought that was too wide. I scaled the motifs down to suit my bigger yarn, and they still turned out 4" across like the pattern stated. James C. Brett Marble acrylic yarn, "killed" for this scarf.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Scarves/SwirlScarf6forflickr.jpg

Me modeling. Yes, DD loves green too.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/JoodieKadoodie/Scarves/SwirlScarf2forflickr.jpg

Jan in CA
07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
That came out really pretty! I like that yarn, I'm using the bulky for a sweater right now. How did you kill it? I know what it means, just wondering how you did it.

MerigoldinWA
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I was going to pin it out and hover my steam iron over it until damp. But my steam iron seems to have given up on me, and even the dry setting didn't seem as hot as it should have.

I pinned it out and then put a double layer of wet wash cloth over the scarf in sections and set the dry iron on hot lightly on the cloth, no weight really. Just floating. I let it sit until fully dry. My sample I put a little pressure on as I applied the heat and it flattened the design a little so I tried to avoid that happening. I notice the edges wanting to curl a little and I think if my iron had been hotter it would have stayed flatter.

mwhite
07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Love it! It's so unusual and very becoming! :yay: :yay: :yay:

wezyus
07-08-2009, 01:00 AM
OMGGGGGGGGGGggggg its so beautiful ...hve never seen this pattern ...thnks

margz3
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Oh, that is neat! Love the colorway - very soothing!

ArtLady1981
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
JUDY!!! This is magnificent! If anything is 'killed' I can't see it!
This is a doggone work of ART! You should be very proud of yourself!

I love it! :heart:

vaknitter
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
It's gorgeous !! A lady in my knit night group is working a shawl in this pattern. It is definitely on my list of things to do, but I am afraid I wouldn't have the patience to keep at it long enough

bambi
07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Very lovely pattern and colors! Just beautiful!

Bambi

gotta knit
07-10-2009, 09:27 AM
What an interesting pattern! Looks great.

KnitClickChick
07-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Gorgeous!! :inlove:

TEMA
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I love the pattern. What an interesting shape and I love the way the knitting came out... very beautiful!
TEMA:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

melmac51
07-15-2009, 04:19 PM
That came out really pretty! I like that yarn, I'm using the bulky for a sweater right now. How did you kill it? I know what it means, just wondering how you did it.

Again, can't see the picture. :hmm:

What do you mean "kill the yarn"??? Who'd want to kill yarn? :??

MerigoldinWA
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
melmac51 I told how I killed the yarn in a post soon after the question was asked, so look back up there and see how I did it.

Killing it means that you heat it some way or other and that sets the yarn in that position. It also causes it to be more limp and drapey which is nice for a scarf. This only works with acrylic yarns or yarns that are part acrylic. I think my scarf could have been "killed" a little more, but it is a little more drapey than before I did it. My iron was not as hot as I might have liked.

Are you saying the pictures didn't show up? Or that you didn't understand? I can see the pictures and it seems everyone else could.

melmac51
07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
melmac51 I told how I killed the yarn in a post soon after the question was asked, so look back up there and see how I did it.

Killing it means that you heat it some way or other and that sets the yarn in that position. It also causes it to be more limp and drapey which is nice for a scarf. This only works with acrylic yarns or yarns that are part acrylic. I think my scarf could have been "killed" a little more, but it is a little more drapey than before I did it. My iron was not as hot as I might have liked.

Are you saying the pictures didn't show up? Or that you didn't understand? I can see the pictures and it seems everyone else could.

Thanks for the explanation on "killing" the yarn. I've never heard of that. I know everyone else sees the pictures. I just get little "img" notes, but no pics. (Maybe it's the email police here at work...but I can see pics on some of the other posts, so who knows?)

pinksugar
07-20-2009, 09:36 PM
so many amazing patterns I've never seen before on this site! I love it! so unusual!