PDA

View Full Version : Afghan pannel problem

AMH0505
07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm making an afghan that is made of several panels that are sewn together after they are crocheted. Naturally, they should all be the same length. However, in spite of the fact that I am following the same pattern with the same crochet hook and the same yarn (well, different skeins, but same brand, type, dye lot, etc), a number of the panels have come out slightly different in length, varying by a few inches. Because I'm following a pattern (diamonds on half the panels, popcorn and cable stitch on the other half), I'm reluctant to just take out rows until all are the same length, because then some will be ending at different points in the pattern (ie. some will end with a complete diamond, but others a row or two short of a complete diamond shape). Any suggestions?

catlvr
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
After you're finished sewing the panels together, it will probably need to be blocked. I lay it flat, gently smooth and pull it into shape, and take a spray bottle of water and mist it very well and allow it to dry overnight. A border all the way around seems to help too. I sometimes pin each corner of the border/panel to secure it and help it stay flat. Hope this makes sense?? Good Luck!

mathwizard
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
You can block but if the length is more than I would say an inch then blocking will not cure the problem. Trying to add two inches by blocking will stretch the stitches and be very visible. I would do a row count from a side seam and see if the problem lies in the fact you don't have the same number of rows. As long as the yarn is the same type of yarn then that probably isn't the problem. Can you post a picture of the afghan as it is now so we can see exactly what you are talking about?

blueygh2
07-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Could be a problem with your tension, if it's not constant.

AMH0505
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will post a picture of the lengths of the panels I have done as soon as I get a chance.
Tension seems like it is likely the problem seeing as this has been a rather spread-out project. It's been something I've been working on off and on, doing a panel between other projects, for the most part.

OffJumpsJack
07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm making an afghan that is made of several panels that are sewn together after they are crocheted. Naturally, they should all be the same length. However, in spite of the fact that I am following the same pattern with the same crochet hook and the same yarn (well, different skeins, but same brand, type, dye lot, etc), a number of the panels have come out slightly different in length, varying by a few inches. Because I'm following a pattern (diamonds on half the panels, popcorn and cable stitch on the other half), I'm reluctant to just take out rows until all are the same length, because then some will be ending at different points in the pattern (ie. some will end with a complete diamond, but others a row or two short of a complete diamond shape). Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies. I will post a picture of the lengths of the panels I have done as soon as I get a chance.
Tension seems like it is likely the problem seeing as this has been a rather spread-out project. It's been something I've been working on off and on, doing a panel between other projects, for the most part.

Do these panels run the full length (or full width) of the Afghan or are they more like blocks to be arranged in a checker board pattern?

It would be better to add a few extra rows to each end of the short block/panels than to rip back rows on the long panels.

Are all your diamond panels the same length or is a single panel half diamonds and half popcorn & cable st?

Are the row counts the same between the diamond pattern and the popcorn & cable st pattern? or does one pattern have fewer rows or just tighter rows (making the length of the panel shorter).

Last question is about language of the pattern and of your usage. UK vs US crochet terms are different. Are you and the pattern using the same terms?

In future, make it a practice to check gauge of panels even when using the same pattern, yarn, etc. It is easier to adjust each panel as you go rather than after they are all made.