PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's me with another problem with this Bolero

JudiToots
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Help! I am about ready to throw this project in the trash!!
I absolutely love the Bolero in Lene Holme Samsoe’s Feminine Knits. But I am having a terrible time with it. I’m great with the ribbing but everything goes haywire when I get to the lace…and I am only on the back section.
My lace looks nothing like what is shown in the pictures. I have too many stitches. The picture shows it as open and airy.
Anyway, here are my questions:

When starting the lace on the back section, the patterns says “With larger needles, k1, purl to last st and at the same time dec 21 sts evenly across row to last st, k1-83 (89, 95, 101) sts rem.” Being the perfectionist that I am, I opened Excel and worked out the formula. I will p2tog at 7, 13, 19, 25, 31, 41, 46, 51, 56, 61, 66, 71, 76, 81, 86, 91, 97, 103, 109, and 115. This works great. I end up with 101 sts as should be for the large size. But this causes the ribbing to sway. So I am guessing that I should be doing the decreases in the Purl sections of the ribbing and not the knit sections. Is this right?
Why do I have so many stitches as compared to the picture in the book? I am following the lace pattern exactly as it is written. My yo’s don’t line up to create the open lace as it shows.I appreciate any help given. I have a beautiful sundress waiting for this Bolero. I was hoping to get to wear it once this summer. :wall:
http://www.conductivetech.com/temp/boleroissues.gif

rachael72knitter
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm. . . I wouldn't give up yet. I mean, it might look funny right up next to the ribbing section, but I don't think it will the farther you get away from it. I'm not sure, I guess it might make the ribbing lay kind of twisted when you wear it. I think it will look more airy as you knit some more rows. Also, don't you have more sts because you are doing it in a larger size? I personally wouldn't decide yet. I would knit a several more rows, and then decide if you want to start over again. I know that would just be more work, esp. if you just decide to pull it out, but from the pic it is hard to tell with very little of the lace pattern done.

suzeeq
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
It doesn't look so bad, I would have done the decs on a purl row after the ribbing, to set up for the stockinette/lace part. On the lace, make sure your YO is just wrapping the yarn around the needles, not a wrap and knit 1. That will make your st number come out wrong.