PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had yarn gift regret?

scout52
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
It's July the month that I start my Christmas gift knitting. Last night I began a hooded scarf for my little sister. I had originally intended to do the scarf in Lambs Pride in this Royal Blue color. until I was skyping with my little sister as I was knitting my lettuce Coat and she fell in love with the Malabrigo yarn I was using.

Being the loving sister that I am, I decided to use the Malabrigo Indigo that I have in my stash for her scarf. Now I am having major yarn gift regret. LOL. It is sooo gorgeous. and it gets prettier with each row. I am now sad that she will be the recipient instead of me. And I don't even use scarfs. LOL.

Sooooo I am the only one who has had yarn gift regret? or am I a terrible big sister?

Vertigo1414
07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
i had a simialr thing recentaly. i have a great tank in elann.com's sonata and i loved the color. turned out it was to big in the end so rather than frog it i gave it to my mom. i miss my tank top it took so long to make too.

candicane
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
It is not just you. I am still lusting after a cashmere scarf that I made for my sister. The color was so perfect, the yarn so soft and pattern beautiful. I could barely part with it.

luvmykid28
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I feel ya. I have some gorgeous yarn in my stash and I often think I should make it into a gift. Then I change my mind. Don't get me wrong, most of the things I knit get given away. That's why I don't want to use my "special" yarn for gifts. Of course I can't decide in what to make for me either...

mathwizard
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Most not most but at the moment all I knit is given away. I have been making some crochet doilies which I am keeping. I have some yarn which I bought for me and I have decided what to make yet. I just love feeling the yarn at the moment. I just celebrated my birthday and got from a friend two kinds of yarn, 4 (25g) ball of Jaeger Mohair and 5(50g) balls of Wicked Ostrich Knitting Yarn. The yarn came from a friend in England. So soft but don't know what to do!

knitgal
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
That often happens to me when I finish a gift for someone. I see how great it looks and feel how soft it is and wonder if they're going to appreciate it as much as I do. In the end I decide that I made it for them and I want them to have it...but sometimes it's hard to give it up!

scout52
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh I am feeling so much better I'm not the only one that gets sad :-). The funny thing is I love knitting for my siblings. they LOVE my knitting and they will go through my mags and my books looking for project for themselves. it just this yarn is gorgeous!!

Woodi
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
You won't regret it when you see the smile on your sister's face, and feel her thankful hug.
Meanwhile, I recommend you go back and get some for yourself too. (or order it online?). It's not wrong to include yourself on your gift list!

luvmykid28
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
You won't regret it when you see the smile on your sister's face, and feel her thankful hug.
Meanwhile, I recommend you go back and get some for yourself too. (or order it online?). It's not wrong to include yourself on your gift list!

That's some good advice Woodi . :aww:

Ingrid
07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
BUY MORE! :shrug::teehee::happydance:

tokmom
07-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, I gave away a pr of socks to a friend. It was the sweet socks pattern so it had pretty cables on the side. The first thing she did was try to fold the sock cuff over. There went all my hard cable work. Now it was inside out!
Like the others said, I went and bought myself some new sock yarn and will make a pr for me once I get passed all my other projects.

TEMA
07-11-2009, 06:57 PM
I haven't gone the way of yarn-gift regret but I did have a lovely Buffalo Wool sweater stolen out of the back seat of my car once.
That was about 30 years ago and I still miss it! :gah:
TEMA:knitting:

gmmarton
07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I also think you should buy some more, just to keep a little for yourself. And celebrate in the fact that you could create something beautiful for someone who appreciates it!

Leania
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Actually have the opposite problem; I bought some yarn with then intent of making some gifts, but now that I've felt the smoother, softer yarn the older one is just so darn scratchy. I had this scarf I had crochet for my mom, but I just can't give it to her. Its too rough on the skin; so I gave it to my husband (who uses it as decoration on his computer desk) and I'm working on a softer yarn for her scarf. Slowly soothing my guilt at not giving something to my mom (2 friends have recieved their gifts before her. T.T) I may make both the scarf and a doily. Maybe some socks too.