PDA

View Full Version : I just spent 2 days sewing

Mike
07-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Making waterbed sheets (really making from a bolt not modifying other sheets).
Up to now most of what I've sewn has been quick repairs and the largest projects have been duck canvas knitting/crochet bags. This project was much longer with 4 sheets of 82x92.

I can understand how sewing can be addictive. I feel like something is missing not having the machine running, and that's only after 2 days. I'd probably be shaking from withdrawal if I did something like curtains for the whole house.

I was getting worried towards the end but my hand-me-down machine survived. With the cost of waterbed sheets vs the cost of material I still would've been ahead if I needed to buy an above minimal machine to finish. But I'm glad it did survive because all of the new ones look cheap and I have my doubts if they'd handle my normal canvas projects.

lelvsdgs
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, sewing can be very addicting just like knitting can. Great that you made your own sheets, wonderful sense of accomplishment isn't it?:woohoo:

knitasha
07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
If you take care of it (oiling, taking it in for cleaning once a year) an old mechanical machine can last almost indefinitely. If the motor doesn't feel as though it's struggling under the load you're putting on it, and if it sews a nice, neat straight stitch, you can live without a lot of bells and whistles. If it also sews a zigzag stitch and makes a decent buttonhole, even better. The fancy computerized machines are wonderful, especially if you do embellishments and decorative sewing, but they can cost a fortune to repair if the computer module goes wonky. (However, the cheap look may just be an illusion -- they're made of plastics that are supposed to be stronger than metal.)

If you are seriously into heavy canvas sewing, you might consider an industrial machine. They are ugly as mud, very powerful and unbelievably fast (up to 5500 stitches per minute). You could probably do a set of sheets in an hour.

ETA: Here's an article on industrials, if you're interested.http://www.dwconline.com/DWC/Apr%2797/WorkroomOperations.html

Mike
07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I think my biggest feeling of accomplishment comes from the fact that I now have 2 new sheet sets, which I haven't had 2 sets since my old smaller bed. Sometime between the first waterbed and the second one the price of sheets skyrocketed.

I looked at the sewing machines in person today. I think I'd rather keep this one going.
This one isn't totally without bells. It will do embellishments and decorations with a disk system. I've never had a use for it but it will do it. Of course you can't buy programs to make it sew a cartoon scene.

A friend's mother was a professional seamstress, he got her industrial machines when she died. I thought about running over to his house but figured it was going to take time no matter what I was using.
I wouldn't have enough use for one to justify the price.

My sister has been amazed at how many layers of canvas I've been able to do on this one (it was hers).
I think it was running at full speed for so long that was making my motor sound like it was going. It wasn't under strain, just getting overheated.

knitasha
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a great machine for your purposes. Congratulations on the new sheets. (Not to tempt you or anything, but curtains are really easy.)

mwhite
07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Great accomplishment! I am green with envy..:mrgreen: ..Love to sew as much as knitting, just haven't done it in a really long time except for upholstery work on my job. Industrials are wonderfully fast and love the way they can handle heavier jobs. Kinda spoils you using them and then having to use regular home machines. I use a heavy duty industrial walking foot machine at work. It really hates light cottons and fabrics for clothes and lil granddaughter dresses and it eats them! :oo: You are an inspiration!