PDA

View Full Version : Lace Weight Q

Crycket
07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Hello all

I had a thought...

I have two lace weight projects coming up, that will both have more than one skein.

I have been through some web pages that discuss this, but how does one join or weave ends in lace weight.

I mean...the felted join should work for me in both cases, so I should be fine with that...(one is 100% baby alpaca, the other 80% mohair, 20% wool)

But I was exploring the russian join too...which looks easy enough, however one vid I watched was saying that it will work on anything but lace weight (or something else that I can't remember)

So I guess the question is...what is the best solution for lace weight knitting for joins?

suzeeq
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
You could knit the old and new yarn together for about 6 sts or so, that should be enough to anchor them together.

globaltraveler
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I've used Russian joins on silk lace weight (the project I'm working on, as a matter of fact). I think the reason most people say it won't work is because it thickens up the yarn and can make a section of the lace look bulky and wrong. I partly got round that by de-plying and clipping part of the lace, but I was using silk, so it's pretty strong. May not work with yours if you decide not to spit-splice, you'd have to try it to see.