PDA

View Full Version : Fed Up With KP Options

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I was working on another sweater when yet another cable pulled out of it's fitting on my Options. That was my last long cable too. Lots of dropped stitches.

I'm fed up with this problem. As soon as I am able I am going to order a set of Denise circs. Maybe they'll actually hold together during knitting.

For now I am just going to frog the sweater and hold onto the yarn until I have some proper circs to work with.

Jan in CA
07-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh that's too bad. I wonder if it's the way you're pulling on the needles or cable? Hope you like the Denise.

Arielluria
07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I use Boyes and I've never had that problem.

Craw
07-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I was thinking of getting the Boye set myself. I know I can't do magic loop with them but I'm not into that yet and who knows, I may never be, so it shouldn't be a reason for me to shy away from Boye. I want the Addi Click system but, oh, never gonna see that day.

cresmoon
07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, knitting guy. Have to admit one of the reasons I'm so gunshy about ordering Options is because I heard they're made in India and (speaking as someone who is Indian), I know Indian craftsmanship can be not so good. Maybe if you tried their fixed circs instead?

You know, I don't really think Addi clicks will be that expensive forever. May take some time but I wouldn't be surprised if the price eventually drops enough so that more people can buy them.

Crycket
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I like my Denises...for the most part....

I would not touch Boye with a 10 foot pole...every one of their knitting needles I haved used, ends up feeling like I am knitting with rusty nails cause the paint wears where they are always rubbing...

Maybe it is just my tension...but *blah*....I have the boye crochet hooks and they are fine, as I am not rubbing them on anything solid...

Good luck...

globaltraveler
07-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Bummer, Mason. I couldn't do Denise, at least not happily -- I hate the way they knit under my fingers, I'm definitely a metal girl. I'm definitely trying the HiyaHiya interchangeable set as soon as they're available (soon!), though. I really want the smaller sizes on interchangeables! Have you looked at those yet?

Mike
07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I super glue mine before knitting and recheck them before starting something. They have to be so tight that I'd be afraid they wouldn't go back in to get me not to take them apart and glue.

I think it's man hands vs the short needles stressing the joint where the cable goes into the needle. I've also had a pair of bamboo circs get pulled out while knitting.

Time2ski
07-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Mason, I have a set of Denise needles but make sure you have them twisted on OK. I have moved my stitches up and at times, it twists off the cable. I can relate to your problem. Tess

Jan in CA
07-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I didn't say it before, but since it's been said I have to agree with Crycket and Zina on a couple points. I have the Denise and they are okay. They just aren't as flexible as Options or Addis. The cord is fat and I felt like I had to do more sliding of stitches. Overall though they are nice needles and worth a try if you don't mind resin.

I also can't stand Boye. I don't like the way the needles feel and some of them have the bend which I didn't like.

My DH used hot glue on the couple of needles that pulled out of the cable and they've been fine ever since. Both times this happened was when I was working on a sweater and pulling on the needle/cable harder because of all the stitches so now I'm ore careful, too. Those are the only problems I've had in more than a year that I've owned them.

Again it's apples and oranges..both are good, just not to everyone's liking. ;)

Arielluria
07-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I wonder if some plumber's tape wouldn't help keep those needles on. You know, the stuff they put on threads of pipes to keep them from coming apart. It's basically the same thing you need to keep your needles on and it would just take a tiny bit for a needle.

You can get that at hardware stores for pennies for a small roll.

suzeeq
07-18-2009, 02:14 PM
India? I thought they were made in Germany....?

cresmoon
07-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Suzeeq, I could've sworn I read on the KP site that they're manufactured in India. I thought Addis were made in Germany?

ETA: I just checked their website and they are indeed made in India, but they also have manufacturing in Peru and Italy, too (last sentence on this page):

http://www.knitpicks.com/cfhelp/Index.cfm?type=kp&CSCatID=9&CSItemID=10

suzeeq
07-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Since they were licensed from KnitPro, I thought they were also made in Germany.

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I use Boyes and I've never had that problem.

Boye was the first circ I tried and I hated them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Bummer, Mason. I couldn't do Denise, at least not happily -- I hate the way they knit under my fingers, I'm definitely a metal girl. I'm definitely trying the HiyaHiya interchangeable set as soon as they're available (soon!), though. I really want the smaller sizes on interchangeables! Have you looked at those yet?

I know what you mean. I love the slickness of the Options but the constant, repeated cable issues have just put me off of them. Probably for good.

Knitting_Guy
07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I super glue mine before knitting and recheck them before starting something. They have to be so tight that I'd be afraid they wouldn't go back in to get me not to take them apart and glue.

I think it's man hands vs the short needles stressing the joint where the cable goes into the needle. I've also had a pair of bamboo circs get pulled out while knitting.

I agree about the "man hands" thing. As for glue, for what I paid for these things I shouldn't have to glue them just to use them for what they're intended for. It's just a bad design, or bad manufacturing. Either way I've decided they just aren't worth the money or aggravation.

globaltraveler
07-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm also re-thinking the Addi Click set, since they've now got extra cables, cable extenders, etc. Well, mainly also because I may be in Germany soon and will be able to buy them a great deal less expensively than in the US or the UK.

Heigh ho, it's a never-ending story, really! :) I suppose I like it that way!

hookedonknitting
07-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry to here about your cables.... I don't have any suggestions but I was fascinated at the fact that I read another one of your posts not so long ago that sounded the same as this.... It must be time to try something new :)

PS. the hiya hiyas have metal and wood interchangeables and seem to be available in N.Am... Good luck!

Mommy22alyns
07-18-2009, 07:21 PM
After a couple of years of love, my Options cables have just started pulling out of the fittings. I'm exploring my glue options but I'm worried about excess glue snagging my yarn.
I couldn't go with anything else but Addis though, and they are $$$!

Jan in CA
07-18-2009, 08:52 PM
After a couple of years of love, my Options cables have just started pulling out of the fittings. I'm exploring my glue options but I'm worried about excess glue snagging my yarn.

My DH used hot glue. He used a candle to heat the metal part and then jammed the end in quickly.

cresmoon
07-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Would you consider the KA bamboo interchangeable set? They're the second most expensive interchangeable set I know of (Addi Clicks being the most expensive) but I haven't heard anything but good things about KA so far.

ArtLady1981
07-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your KP cables, Mason! Indeed very annoying and aggravating! I know the company would replace them, but it still doesn't fix the mess you have on your hands!

I have Denise Interchangeables. They were my first set of interchangeables. They are very easy to assemble, really just a little turn and they're in and ready to go!

The cables are a little hefty, but, for the most part, they didn't present a problem with stitches not gliding easily. Maybe the heftier cable will be perfect for man hands! The Denise circ is warm and buttery, and nice to use. Pointy, but not too pointy.

A lot of folks really love them. I think you will, too! I also like how the cables can click together to make all sorts of lengths!

I mostly use KP Options and Harmony's these days and of course, Addi's. Like most knitters, I switch back and forth depending on the project. I even have a few favorite 'set circs' that are Susan Bates! I like to buy 'vintage' circs in lots from Ebay and stash them away. I haul them out when I can't get a good feel with other needles!

It's all in the tools....

LizzieK8
07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
I have three sets of Boyes and two sets of Denises. The Denises do come apart, too, but not as easily or as often as I've read of the Options doing it. Boyes do rub off the paint (a little steel wool helps with the roughness) and the cables are too stiff for Magic Loop.

As I do most of my round knitting with ML now, and all my flat knitting with either a circular needle or DPNs with stoppers on the end, I just buy a 36-40 inch Addi or Inox from my LYS as I need them for a project. Thus building up a supply of long needles that don't fall apart. :thumbsup:

In concept, I think the interchangeables are a great idea, in reality they don't seem to work so well for as long as a regular circular needle will....

globaltraveler
07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
In concept, I think the interchangeables are a great idea, in reality they don't seem to work so well for as long as a regular circular needle will....

Yeah, I'd agree with that -- if you design something to come apart, it's going to come apart.

Now that I figure my gallivanting around the globe is going to have to come to a semi-halt at some point soon, I suppose it's time for me to start collecting Addi fixed circs before I don't have as much opportunity...I am thinking of going to Germany before then mainly just to buy Addi needles cheaply! (My partner thinks I'm nuts for thinking of it that way. Knitting: a benign and somewhat gentle form of mental illness? Discuss! ;) )

GinnyG
07-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I too have had LOTS of trouble with my options. I love the tips and the thin cable is great but the cables just don't hold up. I had a cable separate last week in the midst of a stranded project, UGH what a mess.

BUT THE DENISE ARE NOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Denise have a quirky twist that holds the cable on and I often find that it fails. Besides the cable is too thick.

For me the bottom line has been my old stand by addis. I have been buying them up on sale and more often than not will reach for a set of them. I think interchangables, by virtue of their very nature are programmed to fail.

I would love a set of addi interchangables but unless the prive drops or I fnd a set on sale I'll stick with the regulars.

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Maybe the heftier cable will be perfect for man hands!

Exactly what I was thinking.

cheley
07-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Would you consider the KA bamboo interchangeable set? They're the second most expensive interchangeable set I know of (Addi Clicks being the most expensive) but I haven't heard anything but good things about KA so far. Speaking of KA..I purchased two sets in San Fran...the cords are very smooth, the needles are awesome... (but short in length) my probles is that I "thought" I could use a 9" cord for small round projects, but the needles is tooo short...(BTW I have one FS in the other post):muah:

Craw
07-19-2009, 10:14 AM
If anyone is considering the KA bamboo set, they are 20% off at one of my LYS who happens to also have a web store.
http://www.letsknit.com/detail.cfm?dept=7&item=2391&srow=1&ssel=0&stext=&cfm=dept
All needles are on sale until August something, even Addi Turbo. If I'm not mistaken, the entire store is 20% off.

Crycket
07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
BUT THE DENISE ARE NOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Denise have a quirky twist that holds the cable on and I often find that it fails. Besides the cable is too thick.

For the most part, I don't think that anything is better or worse...it boils down to preference.

I can't use boye...they have disappointed me beyond annoyance...but that doesn't mean they aren't perfect for someone else...

I like denise...but I do see its short comings....it doesn't do magic loop well...if you use the extender clips, you end up fight with your stitches over it...but they are smooth to knit with, haven't come undone for me (but maybe 2ce since I have gotten them) and they pretty much cover most needle sizes I have needed. (not withstanding a few odd ball projects) + they are airplane friendly, which can`t be said of many needles.

Globaltraveler said it right - if you design something to come apart, it's going to come apart

After that...it just boils down to what you can tolerate. I mean...these interchangeable ones are great for having all your needles in one place, and ready at hand for virtually any project. They are designed so that you don`t have to own 50 sets of cable needles in different sizes and length (which would have cost oodles more than any set)

ArtLady1981
07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
If anyone is considering the KA bamboo set, they are 20% off at one of my LYS who happens to also have a web store.
http://www.letsknit.com/detail.cfm?dept=7&item=2391&srow=1&ssel=0&stext=&cfm=dept
All needles are on sale until August something, even Addi Turbo. If I'm not mistaken, the entire store is 20% off.

I sure do love the cute cases! The red case with white dragonflies is my fav! Thanks for the link! (Mason, sorry to butt in, but I had to comment! :wink: )
http://www.letsknit.com/images/products/large/KASwitch11.jpg

cresmoon
07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Denise's are on sale at the link craw generously provided if you want to try them:

http://www.letsknit.com/detail.cfm?dept=7&item=648&srow=49&ssel=0&stext=&cfm=dept

I don't suppose you knit enough to justify the spending cost of getting the Addi clicks? They're the only other needles I can think of where the few reviews I've read haven't mentioned these problems.

Speaking of, I know Addi's US distributor is Skacel. Are the clicks currently only made in Germany or also made in the US by Skacel? Because maybe if Skacel doesn't make them in the US now, maybe they will in the future and so they'll be lower priced and more affordable when they do?

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Denise's are on sale at the link craw generously provided if you want to try them:

http://www.letsknit.com/detail.cfm?dept=7&item=648&srow=49&ssel=0&stext=&cfm=dept

I don't suppose you knit enough to justify the spending cost of getting the Addi clicks? They're the only other needles I can think of where the few reviews I've read haven't mentioned these problems.

Speaking of, I know Addi's US distributor is Skacel. Are the clicks currently only made in Germany or also made in the US by Skacel? Because maybe if Skacel doesn't make them in the US now, maybe they will in the future and so they'll be lower priced and more affordable when they do?
I knit pretty much every day, the problem with the cost of the Clicks has more to do with the current economy.

Thanks for the link. There's a LYS on my route that sells Denise. I emailed them to see if they have the blue kit in stock. Waiting to hear back. In my line of work buying them in person is far easier than mail order.

globaltraveler
07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Well, if you want to wait until I get to Germany, Mason... :)

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, if you want to wait until I get to Germany, Mason... :)

:rofl: Sure, why not...

globaltraveler
07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
It'd be sometime after September, probably -- and it'd be about $85 plus shipping, I think. Contemplate! :)

I really really don't need another set of interchangeables, especially if I get the HiyaHiyas...but... I mean, they're Addi! :)

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 10:59 PM
It'd be sometime after September, probably -- and it'd be about $85 plus shipping, I think. Contemplate! :)

I really really don't need another set of interchangeables, especially if I get the HiyaHiyas...but... I mean, they're Addi! :)

:rofl: Don't think I can wait that long. Already missing my knitting. I may have to force myself to knit something....shudder...flat.

Doodknitwit
07-19-2009, 11:26 PM
i've had that happen with Denise's also...

Knitting_Guy
07-19-2009, 11:31 PM
i've had that happen with Denise's also...

Oh crap! That was the one thing I hadn't heard about them.

ArtLady1981
07-20-2009, 04:24 AM
I knit for quite some time with my Denise's...and never ever had a bit of problems with them coming apart or anything else weird.

I wish Addi Clicks had been available back before I sunk a fortune into all sorts and sundry of circs, fixed or interchangeable.

But ya know, the funny thing is...over at the Addi Group at Rav...some folks express a few problems with them as well.

I think it is just one of those irksome things: imperfection.

mathwizard
07-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I have a set of Boye Interchangeable needles and they were bought when they first came out. I have not had any problems with chipping, coming apart but I will admit some of the wires are stiff. I work around that. I haven't tried running them under warm water which just popped into my head, duh! I do have a set of Addi Interchangeable but all my projects are on needles which aren't addis. I found the needle size isn't the same as US needles and therefore can't switch them. For longer cables before Addi's inter. came out I just bought the longer length and correct size. I love both the Boyle and AddI"s and wouldn't part with them!!!!!! Thanks for the information about the longer length cables. I just wish Addi had the smaller sock or lace needles in the interchangeable.:X:

globaltraveler
07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
You HAVE tried the Denise, right, Mason? So you know you can deal with resin needles? 'Cuz I was all fired up about getting a set that could go on the planes with me, until I tried them and realized i didn't like knitting with them AT ALL.

margz3
07-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I wonder if some plumber's tape wouldn't help keep those needles on. You know, the stuff they put on threads of pipes to keep them from coming apart. It's basically the same thing you need to keep your needles on and it would just take a tiny bit for a needle.

Hmmm- that's a good idea! I just got my KP Options last week and am starting with a simple scarf, but I think I will root around for the roll of plumbers tape that is in one junk drawer or another :teehee: and give it a try before casting on to anything ambitious!

OffJumpsJack
07-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Hmmm- that's a good idea! I just got my KP Options last week and am starting with a simple scarf, but I think I will root around for the roll of plumbers tape that is in one junk drawer or another :teehee: and give it a try before casting on to anything ambitious!

Plumber's tape is just Teflon, as in the non-stick coating. It helps threaded fittings go together easier so you can get a water or air tight seal. I don't think it helps keep the threads tight, I am sure it wouldn't.

Besides, it sounds like the plastic cord is pulling out of the fitting and not that the threaded connector is becoming unscrewed.

Mike could be right about the man-hands. Mason, stop using your circulars to pull those occasional pickup trucks out of the ditch? ;)

What does the fitting look like without the cord? Could the plastic cord be replaced with something stronger and in a way that it would not pull out? I'm thinking shifting cable from a multi-speed bicycle shop. They have a lug on the end of the cable. You might need a crimping tool. :think: :think:

Mike
07-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking shifting cable from a multi-speed bicycle shop. They have a lug on the end of the cable. You might need a crimping tool. :think: :think:

And here I was searching around for thin aircraft cable.
Problem is I think it takes some special stuff to get those stays on and then when one tiny strand goes bad it would start snagging.
So then I was thinking of titanium wire.

Plus if Knitting_Guy doesn't want to glue his cables I doubt if he would want to solder or weld up something.

Jan in CA
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
If I understand Mason correctly the cable pulled out of the fitting. The needles didn't come unscrewed. I doubt something like plumbers tape would really work all that well and would interfere with your knitting.

suzeeq
07-20-2009, 08:11 PM
It does interfere. I have an old nylon circ that a cat chewed on a bit and it's rough and splitty where the needle becomes the cord so the yarn catches on it. I tried plumber's tape on it and while it's kind of smooth when you put it on, it ruffles up a bit and gets in the way. So I use it as a stitch holder.

margz3
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I misunderstood Mason's issue - I thought they were coming unscrewed. However, I was thinking of using the plumbers tape on the inside of the threaded fittling - not on the outside. Maybe it wouldn't work anyway, to Jack's point about using it to make threading fittings easier

Jan in CA
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Margaret, if you use one of those grippy, shelf liner things they tighten up beautifully. I've never had one come unscrewed in the year I've owned them.

I use this kind of stuff. DH cut me a bunch of 3 inch squares. They do get less grippy over time, but it takes awhile.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grip+liner&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=2754346525&ref=pd_sl_117yjesobr_b

suzeeq
07-20-2009, 08:56 PM
You can use rubber bands as grippers too. I save the wide ones that come on broccoli bunches for opening jars.

globaltraveler
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM
You can use rubber bands as grippers too. I save the wide ones that come on broccoli bunches for opening jars.

Oh. My. Gosh. Sue, I never even THOUGHT of that, and here was me thinking, jeepers, I don't want to buy shelving rubbery stuff just for *that*... :D Rubber bands going into my notions box right NOW...

cresmoon
07-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Could it be possible that Mr. Mason just got a set of lemons? Maybe the cords on his set are just defective or badly made and he could try to get his Options set exchanged? (I've read here that KP is great about their customer service and if you get a bad tip or cord or whatever, they'll send replacements, though I don't know if they'd do it for a whole set...)

knitasha
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Addis are made in Germany.

knitasha
07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Aw, Mason -- what an awful feeling, to see your stitches hanging off the ends of the needles. I had the same problem with the Options. Over and over again. The KnitPicks people were extremely nice about replacing three defective needles, but the replacements were no better.
Later I heard that they admitted they had been having quality control problems, which were solved. Maybe the new ones are better; I haven't tried them again. I do like their fixed needles and the Harmonys, but I've given up on the interchangeables. I'm waiting for the new HiyaHiya set, which my LYS has on order.

I have an ancient Denise set which has never failed me in terms of the joins coming apart. I like it very much for worsted and bulky yarns, less so for DK. And of course it only goes down to a Size 5 -- so back to my beloved Addis for finer yarn.

Vertigo1414
07-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Problem is I think it takes some special stuff to get those stays on and then when one tiny strand goes bad it would start snagging.

Plus if Knitting_Guy doesn't want to glue his cables I doubt if he would want to solder or weld up something.

Leave it to the guys to get out the heavy duty tools for knitting...:teehee:

LizzieK8
07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
It does interfere. I have an old nylon circ that a cat chewed on a bit and it's rough and splitty where the needle becomes the cord so the yarn catches on it.

I used an emery board on mine and it smoothed out nicely.

LizzieK8
07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Could it be possible that Mr. Mason just got a set of lemons? I'd say now, not with the number of people that have been having join issues with these needles ever since they came out. There are probably more tips on how to "fix" these needles than how to "fix" the items they are being used to knit.....:verysad:

suzeeq
07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
It doesn't work for these, the nylon has fibers which are sort of shredded, not just rough.

Luvmyrottnboy
07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I have lost count of how many options cables have broken on me.

Granted, KP will replace the cables but that doesn't help a bit with the frustration of trying to save a couple hundred stitches in a lace or cable pattern.

You can super glue them back but you must do it right away or the plastic end expands and you can't get it into the metal end if you wait too long.

I splurged on the Addi set but I haven't tried them yet.

I tried Denise's and I just don't care for them.

OffJumpsJack
07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Leave it to the guys to get out the heavy duty tools for knitting...:teehee:

:roflhard: @ Vertigo. Yep, Welcome to Knitting Tool Time with Jack, Mike, and Mason! Get out your power tools and lets get knitting!
:roflhard:
Of course I get first billing! :)

Mike, they have nylon coated 7x7 in (galvanized or stainless) with a diameter of 1/16 ( mm) or 3/32 ( mm) and larger thicknesses. No fraying or snags with the coated wire braids. But then you might not be permitted to carry them on a plane.

Hey, Look in the beading section of your local craft store and you will flexible beading wire, a plastic coated braided wire. But this is a little to thin.

this is about right http://www.sanlosteelcable.com/nylon-coated-galv-/7x7-construction/3/64-coated-to-1/16/cat_106.html

Looks like Mason keeps gets stuck being the test subject.

It does interfere. I have an old nylon circ that a cat chewed on a bit and it's rough and splitty where the needle becomes the cord so the yarn catches on it. I tried plumber's tape on it and while it's kind of smooth when you put it on, it ruffles up a bit and gets in the way. So I use it as a stitch holder.

I used an emery board on mine and it smoothed out nicely.

It doesn't work for these, the nylon has fibers which are sort of shredded, not just rough.

Sue, nylon melts instead of burning when heated, but you would need a mold to reshape and cool the nylon cord. The thread like things could be a glass fiber strength/filler, but I'm not an expert... yet.

Why can't one pick the material, point style, join type, and cord and get a custom built needle? I mean didn't they predict that we would be able to make such selections on all the goods we purchased by 2010? :shrug:

Well, we don't have the flying cars, but we should have durable knitting needles. They don't require rocket science to make em, do they? :eyebrow2: :cool:

suzeeq
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Sue, nylon melts instead of burning when heated, but you would need a mold to reshape and cool the nylon cord. The thread like things could be a glass fiber strength/filler, but I'm not an expert... yet.

Thanks for the idea, but they're working fine as stitch holders and it's not like I don't now have about 4 other needles the same size...

Jan in CA
07-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Why can't one pick the material, point style, join type, and cord and get a custom built needle? I mean didn't they predict that we would be able to make such selections on all the goods we purchased by 2010? :shrug:

You can, but I think it's only for straights.

http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/

globaltraveler
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, we don't have the flying cars, but we should have durable knitting needles. They don't require rocket science to make em, do they?

Jack, Jack, Jack, you poor naive little thing, you... Do you honestly think that a company manufacturing knitting needles is out there that wants you to buy one needle and never have to buy another one for the rest of your life? How on earth are they supposed to make any money off of that?! ;)

cacunn
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the idea of plastic covered Stainless Steel knitting cables. If I ever have to leave my third floor office in a hurry I can loop the cable over the phone line and zip right down to the street.

kellee0302
07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I have the Boye's set also. The only problem I have had is they sometimes start to unscrew but I've always caught it before it completely came apart.

Arielluria
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I was thinking this morning some good ol' Elmer's glue might help. If you have trouble getting them off later, soaking the needle in water might help.....of course I wouldn't recommend it with the bamboo ones.
:teehee:

I'm glad this thread was started. I was starting to feel like the poor kid on the block with my Boye's, though I am happy with them.....it's the old sin of comparison and keeping up with the Jones'........but I digress. I had the KPs on my wish list, but now I think I'll stick with what I'm already happy with. Sorry you guys are having such problems with the KPs and Denises. Sounds like the Addis are pretty good though.

Keep knitting! ;)
:X:

cacunn
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I was thinking this morning some good ol' Elmer's glue might help. If you have trouble getting them off later, soaking the needle in water might help.

If you use Elmer's glue, and I often do on various nuts and bolts use very, very, very little glue. The tip of a tooth pick, but not a drop, on the first thread or two and then screw them together.

I think that before I would use Elmer's I would make sure that I was using the key in the hole and a rubber grabber and making sure the needle is screwed in very tight.

If you put the needle and the join into hot water then you run the chance of loosing up the cable join.

globaltraveler
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm glad this thread was started. I was starting to feel like the poor kid on the block with my Boye's, though I am happy with them.....it's the old sin of comparison and keeping up with the Jones'........but I digress. I had the KPs on my wish list, but now I think I'll stick with what I'm already happy with.

I think it's important to remember for that for any one complaint you hear on ANY of the major companies' products (and you don't *get* to be a major company without a lot of knitters being happy with your product), you'll have tens of hundreds of knitters who have never had any problems at all. I haven't had any problems with my KPs, knock on wood, at all. The only reason I'm going to get the Addi needles in the future is because, well, I love Addi needles, plus I can buy them in Germany so they'll be a LOT cheaper than in the US. The only reason I'm going to get the Hiya Hiya needles is because they go down to a smaller size than the others do, so they'll become my default traveling needles.

And the only reason I'm doing any of that is because I'm now old enough that I have done the whole scrimp and save before you're 50, and now I'm in the period of my life (thanks though, in large part, to my Dad and Grandmother) where I have a little extra with which to spoil myself.

If you're happy with your Boyes, stick with them no matter how much anyone else looks down their noses at 'em. You have a lot more money left over to buy scrummy yarns with. :)

Jan in CA
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I think it's important to remember for that for any one complaint you hear on ANY of the major companies' products (and you don't *get* to be a major company without a lot of knitters being happy with your product), you'll have tens of hundreds of knitters who have never had any problems at all.

Thank you for saying this. I was kind of afraid of the backlash if I did, but this is SO true. All but maybe 1 or 2 knitters in my Knit Night group have them and they've never had problems that I know of and I see them every week. I've had a few, but nothing that I couldn't fix or get replaced. It is annoying when something breaks, but in my mind nothing is perfect. I love using them so much that a few blips are worth it to me. Then again I'm easy going and not much bothers me. ;)

OffJumpsJack
07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
You can, but I think it's only for straights.

http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/

Figures that it isn't a knew idea.

Jack, Jack, Jack, you poor naive thing, you... Do you honestly think that a company manufacturing knitting needles is out there that wants you to buy one needle and never have to buy another one for the rest of your life? How on earth are they supposed to make any money off of that?! ;)

GT, Ha! You didn't see the site Jan posted. And it isn't just one pair but a set in every size, multiple lengths of needles, and they don't last for ever, do they? Everything gets worn with use and age, but you don't want them to break after a two months of usage. :roll:

But I agree, you want repeat customers as well as "OMG! you have to try.." referrals. How often would you be willing to buy new new to replace well used needles?

I like the idea of plastic covered Stainless Steel knitting cables. If I ever have to leave my third floor office in a hurry I can loop the cable over the phone line and zip right down to the street.

With the "Doo, da-da-da, doo, dah, dah, dah, Doo, da-da-da, doo, dah, dah, dah!" (double 0 spy theme) playing from the needles, of course! :rofl:

I believe I can make size 5 circulars in bamboo, would that help you Mason?

Okay, so they'd be plastic trimmer line and chop sticks glued together, but still.... :)
;)

Jan in CA
07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
According the FAQ those custom needles are working on circs, too!

Now just because they are custom btw won't mean they're perfect and never have problems. I think with all the tugging and yanking it's amazing they last as well as they do sometimes. :teehee:

OffJumpsJack
07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
According the FAQ those custom needles are working on circs, too!

Now just because they are custom btw won't mean they're perfect and never have problems. I think with all the tugging and yanking it's amazing they last as well as they do sometimes. :teehee:

Especially if the size 50 (US or 25mm) circs are used as nun-chucks by one's son... :roll:

globaltraveler
07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
But I agree, you want repeat customers as well as "OMG! you have to try.." referrals. How often would you be willing to buy to replace well used needles?

Well, given that the world of knitting has changed really drastically over the last few decades, it's perhaps useful to remember that once upon a time you didn't have to worry about the cable of a circular needle, and you had to buy needles to replace the ones you'd simply lost, because you always just threw all your straight needles into a drawer somewhere, and you were constantly losing a needle of a pair due to one thing or another (usually someone "borrowing" a needle to pry something up or out or poke it into something, etc., and not bringing it back).

This whole interchangeable thing is relatively new, see, so of course there are still bugs to be worked out, and probably will be for the next three or four decades, I'd imagine.

Mike
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey, Look in the beading section of your local craft store and you will flexible beading wire, a plastic coated braided wire. But this is a little to thin.
I forgot about that beading wire.
If you could get a solid bond like the stays they put on winch cable that could easily be soldered into the connector.

If I'm remembering correctly the hole of the connectors is 3/32".

I think it's important to remember for that for any one complaint you hear on ANY of the major companies' products (and you don't *get* to be a major company without a lot of knitters being happy with your product), you'll have tens of hundreds of knitters who have never had any problems at all. I haven't had any problems with my KPs, knock on wood, at all.
I haven't had any problems mainly because I super glue them before there is a problem.
When I took a cable apart to make a shorter one it was too easy to get apart and I had already had the glue joint come apart on a fixed bamboo circ. I don't expect mass produced stuff to suit the needs of each individual and expect to have to do some design tweaks.

I can see where it is an inherent design flaw with friction fit nylon to metal. They expand and contract at different rates so what's tight in one climate won't be tight in another. (With him being a knitter on the move perhaps that's the problem with Mason's.)

What they really need is a snap fit design similar to a bottle cap. It could be machined in or stamped together but that would take care of the cables ever coming apart unless they were really yanked.
But I'm not about to move to India to redesign their manufacturing methods.

OffJumpsJack
07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, Mike, looks like we have done all the R & D on circular needle designs and should be expecting residual payments (a few pennies on every set of needles sold) in the near future. Right?

:roflhard:

I guess GT will tell me I'm "naive" again. ;)

globaltraveler
07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey, I was a union actress. I LOVE residual payments. The last commercial I did, at the end, I was getting checks for $0.13, which was hilarious, but that was a period over *years*.

So, all you have to do is get the needles from R&D into production and marketing...looking forward to that. :)

LadyFirelyght
07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I use my KP interchangeable and fixed circs for about 8+ hours a day, every day. I've had one cable pull out in the past 8 months I've used them, and KP replaced it right away. I'm pretty abusive with my needles; but for the one, I've had no trouble with them.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:07 AM
You HAVE tried the Denise, right, Mason? So you know you can deal with resin needles? 'Cuz I was all fired up about getting a set that could go on the planes with me, until I tried them and realized i didn't like knitting with them AT ALL.

No, I haven't actually tried them, which is exactly why I'd prefer to buy them in a brick and mortar store as opposed to online. I'd like to handle them and see if I'd like to use them.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Actually it's not a matter of not wanting to glue, it's a matter of shouldn't have to for the price paid.

If I could work up something stronger that I would feel confident would stay together I'd go for it in a heart beat.

The biggest problem with a metal wire oif any kind would be kinking of the wire. All metal cables/wires can be bent to a point to create a kink that would eventually break due to metal fatigue.

I was actually considering some carbon fiber composite cabling if I could engineer a solid connection that wouldn't interfere with the knitting.

I actually had a dream last night about how KP could redesign the cable/connector design so that it wouldn't pull out so easily. If the connection between the cable and connector was designed more like a compression fitting it would make a solid grip on the cable and resist pulling out.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Could it be possible that Mr. Mason just got a set of lemons? Maybe the cords on his set are just defective or badly made and he could try to get his Options set exchanged? (I've read here that KP is great about their customer service and if you get a bad tip or cord or whatever, they'll send replacements, though I don't know if they'd do it for a whole set...)

Actually I've gone through numerous replacements due to this issue. The one that broke on me the other day was the second of two replacements of that length to come apart on me, hence my frustration with them.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I was thinking this morning some good ol' Elmer's glue might help. If you have trouble getting them off later, soaking the needle in water might help.....of course I wouldn't recommend it with the bamboo ones.
:teehee:

I'm glad this thread was started. I was starting to feel like the poor kid on the block with my Boye's, though I am happy with them.....it's the old sin of comparison and keeping up with the Jones'........but I digress. I had the KPs on my wish list, but now I think I'll stick with what I'm already happy with. Sorry you guys are having such problems with the KPs and Denises. Sounds like the Addis are pretty good though.

Keep knitting! ;)
:X:

Shouldn't feel bad about about what works for you. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

BTW, I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend. I delivered in Houston yesterday and then moved North on 59 to Seven Oaks where I could get a cheap motel room.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I think it's important to remember for that for any one complaint you hear on ANY of the major companies' products (and you don't *get* to be a major company without a lot of knitters being happy with your product), you'll have tens of hundreds of knitters who have never had any problems at all. I haven't had any problems with my KPs, knock on wood, at all.

Thank you for saying this. I was kind of afraid of the backlash if I did, but this is SO true. All but maybe 1 or 2 knitters in my Knit Night group have them and they've never had problems that I know of and I see them every week. I've had a few, but nothing that I couldn't fix or get replaced. It is annoying when something breaks, but in my mind nothing is perfect. I love using them so much that a few blips are worth it to me. Then again I'm easy going and not much bothers me. ;)

Quite right. Many, many people use the Options with no problems and all, which is why I never ever said that I think they are crap or anything similar.

For me, there seems to be a design issue which should be addressed, and as I feel that KP is an excellent company I feel they are likely trying to come up with a better design.

One shouldn't take my personal issues and frustrations as an indicator that KP is not a good company that makes good products. Like anything else, what works great for one person doesn't work so well for another.

Who knows? Next week they may release a completely revamped cable design that solves this issue.

globaltraveler
07-25-2009, 11:21 AM
No, I haven't actually tried them, which is exactly why I'd prefer to buy them in a brick and mortar store as opposed to online. I'd like to handle them and see if I'd like to use them.

Maybe someone along one of your routes might be willing to meet up with you for coffee and a try at the Denise's?

As for the other stuff -- hey, offer your solution to 'em. They can only say, "no thanks", right?

Jan in CA
07-25-2009, 12:23 PM
When I had my problem with the cable pulling out it was in the same situation...working on a heavy sweater. I found that I was yanking on them when I was pulling them around. Now I slide more carefully and it's been fine.

I do agree they need to work on it. Submit your idea, it can't hurt.

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 04:09 PM
When I had my problem with the cable pulling out it was in the same situation...working on a heavy sweater. I found that I was yanking on them when I was pulling them around. Now I slide more carefully and it's been fine.

I kinda thought that's what I was doing, but on this one I was being very careful to not with the needle but rather by gripping the cable itself so as to not stress the join. I think it was just the weight.

Shandeh
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
I have two sets of Denise interchange-ables, and one set of Boye interchange-ables, with lots of extra needles and cords.

I actually prefer using fixed circulars, but I love having all the different sizes and options available with the interchange-ables. I can make straights if I want, I can make a VERY long cable if I want to see how an afghan is turning out, and I can make stitch holders very easily as well.

My favorite fixed circulars are the simple, smooth, warm to the touch Bryspun (http://www.brysonknits.com/bryspun.htm) circs. Bryspun needles are good for arthritic hands (like mine). I've only had one of the cables come loose when I was working on a heavy blanket. :pout: It was easy to superglue back into the needle.

VictoiseC
08-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Mason! Love reading all these responses... some people really hate certain circs! I bought the Boye in the beginning and I only use them once in a while... I couldn't afford the Addi set either but I just bought one now and then in my most used sizes, 8, 7, 10, 13 and they have been my favorites. I won't buy a set now. I don't even like switching them, I like them in one piece. and there's never any problem. I dunno. Addi's are the best though, no doubt about it. those germans know what they're doing.

VictoiseC
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
P.S. whoops, I just read Shandeh and see she likes fixed too! Oh, I have two pairs of straight Bryspuns that are absolute heaven to knit with, boy do they fly and the feel is wonderful. Never got circulars though, but thanks to Shandeh now I think I'll try them...

cacunn
08-01-2009, 09:23 PM
P.S. whoops, I just read Shandeh and see she likes fixed too!

We need to remember Mason's job, as a long haul trucker he has limited personal storage space. With interchangeable needles he has a lot of different configurations in a smaller space.

annomalley
08-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I like the Addi's and the KP Options both. I, too, have limited space and for storing needles and budgetary concerns, so I go with the Options. It's too bad that you are having problems with them, Mason. But I agree that it can't hurt to let KP know of the problems you are having.

Mulderknitter
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I hadn't seen anyone mention this, so I thought I'd throw out there that for fixed circs, I've found Susan Bates makes ones that are much nicer than your average circs. The cable is much softer and has less memory, and the tips are nice nickel. yes, they are more expensive (around $11 I think) but I like those too.

Shandeh
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
P.S. whoops, I just read Shandeh and see she likes fixed too! Oh, I have two pairs of straight Bryspuns that are absolute heaven to knit with, boy do they fly and the feel is wonderful. Never got circulars though, but thanks to Shandeh now I think I'll try them...
I bet you'll really like the Bryspun circulars, Victoise. :wink:
There is another brand of fixed circulars I really like - Inox. Kind of a cross between Bryspun and Addi.
I hadn't seen anyone mention this, so I thought I'd throw out there that for fixed circs, I've found Susan Bates makes ones that are much nicer than your average circs. The cable is much softer and has less memory, and the tips are nice nickel. yes, they are more expensive (around $11 I think) but I like those too.
I've seen those nicer Susan Bates too, Susan. I pulled a set out at the store to take a look at them, and they are very nice! I should start buying them one at a time with a coupon at AC Moore or Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Mulderknitter
08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I've seen those nicer Susan Bates too, Susan. I pulled a set out at the store to take a look at them, and they are very nice! I should start buying them one at a time with a coupon at AC Moore or Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
That's what I used to buy them. Made the price much nicer!:muah:

cresmoon
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I was going to buy a pair of those Susan Bates once but I looked closely and their joins didn't seem very smooth. Maybe it was just a bad batch of needles?

Shandeh, where did you buy your Bryspuns from? I've had a very hard time finding them - the closest I've found to something like them are some Balene needles at Hobby Lobby.

Shandeh
08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Shandeh, where did you buy your Bryspuns from? I've had a very hard time finding them - the closest I've found to something like them are some Balene needles at Hobby Lobby.
I think you can only buy the Bryspun needles at nice yarn shops, or online. I got mine at Cottage Yarn, but now she has quit carrying them, I think. :pout:

The Bryspun website says that their needles are good for people with arthritis, and I agree. They are the most comfortable for me. Sometimes my arthritis is so bad that they are the only needles I can use.

cresmoon
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Is this the Bryspun website? I tried to buy them here but they don't have them:

http://www.brysonknits.com/

Shandeh
08-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Is this the Bryspun website? I tried to buy them here but they don't have them:
http://www.brysonknits.com/

Yes, that is their website, but I think they just distribute their needles to yarn shops for selling.

Here's a website that sells the Bryspun needles:
http://www.paradisefibers.net/Bryspun-Knitting-Needles-s/132.htm

And here's another:
http://www.seaportyarn.com/store2/glvirtualtones/products.php?cat=16

And another:
http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Bryspun%20Flexible%20Circular %20Needles

And one more:
http://www.mountain-shadow-ranch.net/page/page/3097373.htm

You'll probably find more if you do a search on Google for Bryspun needles like I did. :)

thecanfield
08-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Im putting in a vote for addi's.
I have an almost complete line of the addi turbo fixed circs and love them all
And as of recent am the owner of a set of addi clicks (interchangeable) which I absolutely love definitely worth the money

linknit41
08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Speaking of KA..I purchased two sets in San Fran...the cords are very smooth, the needles are awesome... (but short in length) my probles is that I "thought" I could use a 9" cord for small round projects, but the needles is tooo short...(BTW I have one FS in the other post):muah:

What are KA sets? you say the needles are short, which sounds great to me, as i find most of the circular needles are too long, and would like try shorter ones. i had some Boye (i think) Balene circulars, and when one broke, i sanded it down and cut and sanded the other end to match and really like the shorter length. thanks, linknit41

OffJumpsJack
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
KA or (Kinki Amibari Mfg. Co.) [of Japan] are makers of fine bamboo needles: straights, DPNs, and circulars.

That took most of my lunch hour to search for in Google (**Bing was less useful.) :???: My final search string was "KA company maker of bamboo needles."

I found many on-line retailers who carried KA needles but only www.bambooya.com had a tag line giving information on the company as a "culture note"

You can visit Kinki Amibari web page in English at ( www.amibari.jp/english/kinkiamibari.html )

**ETA, To be fair to Bing, I would have found the answer through Bing if I had used the same search as given above. Both search engines had the answer in the brief description of the first (non-sponsored) result.

Noia
08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I love my KA's Knitguy but the only thing I would be concerned about for you is the needle length and how comfortable they would be in a man's hand.

Attached with the join they come out right at 4 inches. If you could live with that I would highly recommend them as an alternative.

ArtLady1981
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
We need to remember Mason's job, as a long haul trucker he has limited personal storage space. With interchangeable needles he has a lot of different configurations in a smaller space.

That's a very good point, cacunn! :thumbsup:

cresmoon
08-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Bumping this topic because I'm curious to know how it all turned out. Mr. Mason, did you have a chance to try out the Denise's? How did they work out if you did?

Knitting_Guy
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Bumping this topic because I'm curious to know how it all turned out. Mr. Mason, did you have a chance to try out the Denise's? How did they work out if you did?

Not yet. The shop I intended to visit doesn't currently have any in stock. She said she would be happy to order them for me but I hate to have her do so just to find I don't like them or want to purchase them.

She's going to email me when she gets in another order.

cresmoon
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the update. Hope you get this problem figured out.

KP has started selling a new set of acrylic interchangeables - I don't suppose you'd try those since they're newer, maybe their cords will work better for you? Or are you far too burned by Options now to take a chance? (They have been getting good reviews, for what that's worth but then that's the needle tips...I don't know if KP tries to improve the cords every now and then, really though I think it's probably substandard manufacturing at one of their foreign factories).

newknitter23
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Thats a shame. I have never used KP circs but I have the DP and love them. I also have Denise Interchangeables and have never had a problem with them. Hope you enjoy your Denise set as much as I have.

Jaxhil
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Ok now I know what happened to your KP Options! Sorry to hear it!

I happen to have the Denise set and I really love mine~never had any trouble with them coming apart, and I'm knitting a looooooong shawl for my Mom right now with them. They are comfortable to hold, smooth and quiet, and it's SO easy to hook 'em up, too!

hopefully you'll get a chance to try them soon, and figure out if they'll work for you! Good luck!