PDA

View Full Version : Flat Knitting Is So...Different

Knitting_Guy
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I've grown so accustomed to knitting in the round that knitting flat seems very weird to me. With the Options cable issues I've had of late I decided to knit a sweater vest flat in sections and seam it all up (not looking forward to that part).

Being used to Options, the long straight needles seem awkward and clumsy to me, but I'm managing it. My question is, once the sections (front and back) are finished, what is the best method to seam them together?

For the top of the shoulders I was considering a three needle cast off so it looks seamless, and mattress stitch seam for the sides. Does this sound about right? Something else?

nannaknits
07-25-2009, 10:19 AM
That's the way I would do it. The three-needle bind off will give the shoulders stability.

globaltraveler
07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Yup. That's pretty much the classic, depending on what yarns you're using.

mwhite
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I've grown so accustomed to knitting in the round that knitting flat seems very weird to me.

Being used to Options, the long straight needles seem awkward and clumsy to me, but I'm managing it.

I totally agree...

cdjack
07-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I usually use fake grafting for shoulder seams and mattress stitch for side seams. There is probably another term for the fake grafting, but that's what it's called in Stitch N' Bitch and the name just stuck with me. It's grafting on sts that are already bound off.

However, I hate seaming so much that I usually either avoid patterns that call for it or at least knit in the round up to the armholes.

Jan in CA
07-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Yep, that's what I'd do.

And I found straights awkward and uncomfortable, too. After a while my hands hurt using them.

suzeeq
07-25-2009, 01:38 PM
A few months ago I wanted to knit up a sample of a stitch pattern to see what it looked like and the only needles close to the size I wanted to use was my straight ones. They were soooo awkward to use, I can understand why new knitters have trouble learning. The length is hard to deal with along with trying to understand how to make the st and hold them and the yarn. If I have an opportunity to teach someone, I'm going to have them use circs.

Ingrid
07-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I can't remember the last time I used straights. I have used dpns as straights for something small, but my long straights were given away.

That said, 3 needle bind off for the shoulders won't give you a seamless look, but it will make a beautiful seam, nice and even and strong.

Mattress stitch is almost magical. The yarn just seems to disappear.

melmac51
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow! I learned how to knit at around 10 years old (long, long ago and far, far away...) with straights. I'd balance the right needle on my leg. Just recently stepped out and used circs for the first time on a pet snuggly. I guess it's all what you're used to. I'm glad I tried the circs...opens up all kinds of possibilities (thanks Mulderknitter!)

AH1OZ
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
even when knitting flat, i still use my circulars!

I have a nice collection of straight needles that are just collecting dust now

i find straights to awkward now!

Mirl56
07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't care much for straights any more. I'd be inclined to use fixed circular and knit the vest with them, seamless sides and 3-needle bind off the shoulder seams.

bambi
07-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'd do a three needle bind off. My seaming job is so bad that I translate everything into round and skip the projects I can't translate. If I must do something flat, I just use the options flat. The huge straight needles are a PITA and give me tendonitis.

Bambi

Shandeh
07-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I sometimes use kitchener stitch for the shoulder seams, because it makes a nice smooth connection. Just like the toe of a sock.