PDA

View Full Version : Very Cool Tool!!!

mwhite
07-25-2009, 03:22 PM
I realize that I'm probably one of the last knitters to have a swift but this thing is FANTASTIC!!!:woohoo: My old faithful ball winder finally bit the dust about two weeks ago and since the swift and winder could be purchased together....went ahead and bought them. They came in the mail yesterday.

Very, very cool....what usually takes me hours to complete because of my lack of anyone that'll help me...or the fact that placing the skein on a chair or other available object is just awkward, painfully difficult or nearly impossible...now only takes a few minutes!!! I am so very excited about this new knitting/yarn gadget that I just had to share. Oh yes, and I have a lil helper, too!!! (She didn't come with it) :teehee:

My advise to anyone that purchases or wants to purchase yarn in skeins....BUY ONE OF THESE! So easy even a three year old can use it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2666/3755864460_32763c73d9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2536/3755067129_ab5e73a354.jpg

auntcrafty
07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
She's a great little helper! These are on my "wish list". I know I would have two fighting over who would get to "help" wind my yarn.

Ingrid
07-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I love my swift, and know that it will last forever, so it was well worth the investment. And yes, kids love it--at least for the first half of the skein.:teehee:

tokmom
07-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh lucky you! My mom gave me a ball winder she never used but I have no swift! Enjoy your new toy.:yay:

Sknitter56
07-25-2009, 08:46 PM
One of the best reasons to buy a swift and ball winder...now you have no excuse not to buy those beautiful yarns that come in hanks! I love my swift and bw...I use it with regular skeins, also, because I like using a center pull ball.

mathwizard
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I inherited all of my mother's knitting and crochet items. Yarn, patterns,equipment and ????? I was going through it all. I found two interesting items and then misplaced one of them. I moved it over to my treadle sewing machine and I am not sure where it is now. If I trashed it well I am really going to have to hang on longer to things and if I moved it Yea!!. My LYS group had no idea what the piece I had was and I thought it was for stretching or blocking. I was looking form information on hairpin lace patterns ( a revival of mine) and found a booklet called " E Z- Duz-It Instruction Book" No copyright date as it was to explain how to use the hairpin lace frame. One picture of the free patterns and a picture of this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3757438189_d522e2c7e9_m.jpg
can't find the stand but have the arm part.

Vertigo1414
07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
my boyfriend bought me a ball winder for my birthday 2 weeks ago, he's all excited when i use it so i make him be my swift.

mwhite
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I inherited all of my mother's knitting and crochet items. Yarn, patterns,equipment and ????? I was going through it all. I found two interesting items and then misplaced one of them. I moved it over to my treadle sewing machine and I am not sure where it is now. If I trashed it well I am really going to have to hang on longer to things and if I moved it Yea!!. My LYS group had no idea what the piece I had was and I thought it was for stretching or blocking. I was looking form information on hairpin lace patterns ( a revival of mine) and found a booklet called " E Z- Duz-It Instruction Book" No copyright date as it was to explain how to use the hairpin lace frame. One picture of the free patterns and a picture of this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3757438189_d522e2c7e9_m.jpg
can't find the stand but have the arm part.

You're graced with tons of brains...betcha you'll find a way to make a stand for it! Mom did hairpin lace with a crochet hook and the frame.

mwhite
07-27-2009, 07:15 PM
my boyfriend bought me a ball winder for my birthday 2 weeks ago, he's all excited when i use it so i make him be my swift.

:teehee: Train him right now, ya hear? LOL!

mathwizard
07-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Mary, I was all set for buying a swift as I have a winder I bought from a friend who doesn't use it. Now if I am lucky I will find the stand and if not I will have to make something with my brains, THANK YOU!!! I lost one of my mother's steel crochet hooks and it only took me three or four months to find it. I found it by accident on my desk as it had slipped down between stuff which keeps growing, lol. My organization is shot but am trying to get it back.

Turning skeins and hanks into center pulls especially for socks appeals to me. Some of the yarn I have bought recently is hanks and my LYS won't wind them unless it is theirs. There used to be a girl there who would but she moved back home to Vermont and she was so nice and very helpful with knitting. I would do that to my sons if I thought they would sit still for it as I have three pairs of arms, lol. Mary, your new set-up is beautiful!!! The winder is so cute! I am talking about the beautiful child!

Plantgoddess+
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm fortunate to have a husband who is handy and likes to make things for me. He built me a swift out of metal as he is a millwright and it looks funky but works great. I did buy Knit Picks ball winder as he couldn't figure out how to duplicate it for what KP sells theirs for and I'm quite pleased with it.
I just took up spindle spinning last month and both items are getting quite the workout.
Tools! tools! one can never have too many tools.