PDA

View Full Version : how do I find a local knitting group?

cresmoon
07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
For those of you who are part of some type of knitting group/circle/thingee (er, yes technical language not my thing at this hour), how did you find this group?

I'm a fairly new knitter and trying to learn everything all by myself and it's very taxing. Since I'm unemployed for now I've been toying with the idea of finding a knitting circle but I can't figure out how to do it. Have tried googling but I'm in Houston and I'm only getting unrelated junk through my searches and no one at my Joanne's or Hobby Lobby or Michael's knows where to look, either. I even tried looking through my phone book, nothing, not that I thought it'd help anyway.

Any ideas? I'd much appreciate your help.

Jan in CA
07-27-2009, 10:05 AM
My knitting group is through my LYS (local yarn store). Many of them have social knitting nights so I'd check there first.

Those nights aren't for teaching usually they are just social, but they almost always have classes, too.

Ingrid
07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Also check out Yahoo groups.

luvmykid28
07-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I found mine though Ravelry. I live in Texas and there's a group called "Texas Knitters and Hookers". I am sure there are many groups in Houston. I found this just now:

1. Houston/Heights Area

When: Every Friday evening

Time: People show up as early as 3 or 4 pm and many stick around until the shop closes at 8 pm

Where: Yarns 2 Ewe

2. Not a "formal" SnB, but every Friday at Twisted Yarns a large group gathers to sit & knit.

When: Friday mornings/afternoons

Time: 10am - ??? (We often call out to order lunch or bring a sack lunch and eat there.)

Where: Twisted Yarns

Notes: Bring what you're working on, sit, knit, chat and have fun!

I also just typed in Houston under the groups (on Rav) search link and a bunch of group came up. There are at least 4 LYS in Houston, so I know there are knitting circles. Good luck.

kellyh57
07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Try meetup.com too. I found one there!

cresmoon
07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I hate to sound dense, but what is Ravelry? I keep reading that word here but I don't know what it is.

I don't know of any local yarn stores near me except for the big chains. I can try to find one, but I have a feeling it won't be close by enough to worth making a trip there. I live close to Galveston but I think the closest one I know of is farther up north. I don't mind if it's just a social group, not a learning group - it'll be good to have other people around me who knit who I can talk to.

Ingrid, you mean online groups? I'm looking for something face to face.

melmac51
07-27-2009, 01:38 PM

I hate to sound dense, but what is Ravelry? I keep reading that word here but I don't know what it is.

I don't know of any local yarn stores near me except for the big chains. I can try to find one, but I have a feeling it won't be close by enough to worth making a trip there. I live close to Galveston but I think the closest one I know of is farther up north. I don't mind if it's just a social group, not a learning group - it'll be good to have other people around me who knit who I can talk to.

By "this one", I mean Knittinghelp.com. (my fave)

Yarns 2 Ewe is on Shepherd St. (if I remember correctly) I've also heard about SnB groups meeting at Borders bookstores, but not at mine here in N.O. (Metairie). Good luck! Ravelry is another networking site, but this one is much, much easier to navigate. At Ravelry, you request membership and they'll send you an invitation a few days later. I found this site when my daughter was waitressing/attending college and saw some ladies knitting in the restaurant. She told them that her mom enjoyed knitting & crocheting, and they wrote down this site and ravelry's site, and then she passed them on to me.

stitchabit
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Along with the knit groups at the LYS's here. There are groups that meet at the local library, at some of the churches and at some of the cafe's. A friend of mine and I are going to meet this week to plan a group to start in our neighborhood this fall. Maybe, you could start your own group.

luvmykid28
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Go to Ravelry.com http://www.ravelry.com/and request an invite. It's free and they will send you and email in a couple of days. You will get so much out it; free patterns, a look at other projects, advice, a place to list your stash,finished and future projects.
Also here is a listing of Texas Yarn shops.http://www.needletravel.com/browse_shops.htm?state=TX I see one in Katy.

Jan in CA
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM

:noway: After all the talk about it I'm surprised you haven't checked it out. It's awesome! You sign up and then they'll send you the information. It can be overwhelming at first, but it's a great tool.

http://www.ravelry.com/

sandy57th
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Ravelry is sort of like a giant internet clearing house for knitting. You may use only a tiny fraction of it, or you might try a bit of everything it offers. It's free, but you have to join. Everyone on it has their own page. You can list your yarn stash, your books, your needles, and your projects. Then everyone can check out each other's stuff. So if you want to make sweater X, you just search on it in Ravelry and you can see photos of other people's versions of it and their corrections. Want to know what others think of a yarn? Do a search and see projects made with it, plus comments on what it was like to work with, wear and wash. Plus hundreds of on-line groups and forums. You want to find a knitting group near Galveston?-- just do a search on it in Ravelry and you're very likely to find one, or others looking to put one together.

dairywife
07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
I helped to create my knitting group. It started when I hosted a World Wide Knit in Public event (6-13-09) at the local Starbucks. I put signs and flyers all over town. I called the local newspaper and listed it on Ravelry. I arrived at 8am and stayed there until about 9pm. And to my surprise 5 people showed up and stayed most of the time. We talked and knit and shared. We had people stiop and talk to us, ask questions and admire our work. Almost all of us had been invited to the large Knit in Public event in Ft. Worth, TX (about 35 miles from us) but all of us wanted to meet knitters closer to home. It worked out nicely, even though my family thought I had lost my mind in the beginning. We decided to come up with a regular meeting time and place. Our group now meets every Thursday and has grown a little...we average 7-8 knitters at each meeting now. We all have different skill levels and it makes for a great meeting.