PDA

View Full Version : Will Wool Cotton Shrink?

Anarfea
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi,

In spit of having knit a gauge swatch, I just finished the first hexagon of the basalt tank (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basalt-tank) and it's too big. The sides are supposed to be 5 3/4 and mine are about 6 1/4. Now, I know I should probably frog the whole thing and go down a needle size.

But, I was just curious, since I knit this in the pattern yarn (Rowan Wool Cotton) am I going to get any shrinkage due to the 50% cotton thing? I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this yarn.

suzeeq
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Did you knit a swatch (about 5-6" square) and wash and block it like you will the FO? That will tell if a yarn will shrink or stretch and approximately how much.

Anarfea
08-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi, sorry for the late response,

Swatch is washed and blocked. Still too big. But I washed it according to the label instructions, cold, handwash etc, which is probably not going to encourage any shrinking. I was wondering if I threw it in the dryer for a couple minutes if I could get the piece to shrink or am I asking for trouble?

suzeeq
08-01-2009, 09:28 AM
For the swatch, try it out. Wet it again and put it in the dryer and see what happens.