PDA

View Full Version : FO: Swallowtail Shawl

Dimpledapple
07-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I knit this shawl to wear at my best friend's wedding this past weekend. I made it larger than the original pattern, and I used silver-lined seed beads instead of doing the nupps. I love how it came out, and it definitely got a lot of compliments!

Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl
Yarn: Alpaca With a Twist, Fino (in black)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2539/3763708963_89d4a3b07b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3426/3764509396_d9488779a9.jpg

auburnchick
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow, Wow, Wow!

That is GORGEOUS!!! You deserved every single compliment!

Fabulous job!!

auntcrafty
07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Beautiful! :yay:

lulubell
07-27-2009, 11:35 PM
:muah: :muah: :muah: That is GLORIOUS :muah: :muah: :muah:

wezyus
07-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Superbbbbbbbbbbb

Gertie
07-28-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm in awe! You did a fantastic job.

WandaT
07-28-2009, 08:28 AM
It is AWESOME!!!! Congrats! You did a fabulous job on it! I know you'll get so much satisfaction from wearing it!!

bambi
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
WOW! That is SO beautiful! I love the way it turned out. :heart:

Glad you were able to finish blocking it before the wedding. :muah:

Bambi

KnittingNat
07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Gorgeous!!!:passedout:

margz3
07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Fabulous! Looks PERFECT for the dress! :)

GinnyG
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
That is just beautiful!

lgoddard
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow, wow, wow!!!!! Absolutely beautiful.

mwhite
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Very pretty! Nicely done and looks great!

stitchabit
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Stunning!!!!!!

Phaedra
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Wonderful! Just lovely!

tigersagg
07-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Just gorgeous!

ArtLady1981
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
O golly! I LOVE this shawl! I have yet to summon up the courage to do a REAL lace project such as this! You are truly inspiring! This shawl is a timeless classic!

MerigoldinWA
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Really pretty. :muah: The picture on the gingham background is surprisingly stunning. It looks like a jeweled mosaic or maybe drops of water reflecting the blue sky.

tilllie
08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
What a gorgeous color and lovely lace work. Congratulations definitely in order!!

Dimpledapple
08-05-2009, 02:19 AM
:aww: You guys are so nice! I'm really happy you like the shawl :muah:

bambi
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Like it? We love it!!! :hug:

Bambi

Irishmam
08-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Sooooo beautiful. What a talent! Your hair looked great too!

Ronda
08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Gorgeous! And I was going to say the same thing about your hair, too! ;)

nemaent
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
That is absolutely amazing. You are so very talented!

Dimpledapple
08-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Like it? We love it!!! :hug:

Bambi

:muah:

Sooooo beautiful. What a talent! Your hair looked great too!

Gorgeous! And I was going to say the same thing about your hair, too! ;)

Thanks! We had these very nice ladies do the bridesmaid's hairdos and they ended up using about a can of hairspray on each one of us because it was an outdoor wedding and the rehearsal had been ridiculously windy. Come the actual wedding day? Sunny and not windy at all! :teehee:

trishknitz
08-13-2009, 12:00 AM
This is beautiful - it looks like a really fine yarn. Having tried this type of lace, I know its harder than it looks, so well done!!

Lighting57
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Dimpledample, I too am making this shawl from a fingering weight merino/alpaca blend. The pattern states to repeat the first lace pattern 14 times before going on to the next lace pattern. I have repeated it 20 times because I wanted a much larger shawl than the one in the picture.

However, when I started the first row of the second lace pattern (with the nupps), I did not have the correct amount of sts after the last repeat and before the center back st. I checked my work and there were no mistakes with it.

Did you have this problem? If you did, how did you correct it?

If there is anyone reading this that has enlarged this pattern, please state what you did.

I would also like an alternate st to make in place of the nupps. They may be pretty (to some people), I don't care for them.

Thanks!

Dimpledapple
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Dimpledample, I too am making this shawl from a fingering weight merino/alpaca blend. The pattern states to repeat the first lace pattern 14 times before going on to the next lace pattern. I have repeated it 20 times because I wanted a much larger shawl than the one in the picture.

However, when I started the first row of the second lace pattern (with the nupps), I did not have the correct amount of sts after the last repeat and before the center back st. I checked my work and there were no mistakes with it.

Did you have this problem? If you did, how did you correct it?

Sounds like you did one extra repeat of the budding lace pattern. You should have 19 repeats (I ended up with 255 stitches) so that the stitch count matches up with the Lily of the Valley (LOV) charts. Keep in mind that because of the extra repeats, the stitch count from the LOV pattern to the Lace Edging motif will be off, so be sure to do two increases on each side at the beginning of the Lace Edging motif.

I would also like an alternate st to make in place of the nupps. They may be pretty (to some people), I don't care for them.

Thanks!

Well, I used beads instead of doing the nupps so that could be an option. If you don't like how big the nupps are, you can try making them smaller for a more subtle look. Maybe try working k1, yo, k1 into a stitch to increase three and p3 on the ws. If you just don't like the nupps at all, then you can do a simple knit stitch. There are yo's on either side of that stitch so it still ends up looking very pretty. Hope that helps!

Lighting57
08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
When I was working on this shawl and making the extra repeats, I had not come across the instructions to make 19 repeats. I started to stop with 19 but I had just enough yarn left in the skein to make one more repeat. That's how I ended up with 20.

Now I'm wondering how many more repeats I did to do before I arrive with the correct number for the pattern to work.

We know it will work with 14 & 19. If anyone knows the answer, PLEASE tell me.

Frogging it back to 19 is OUT! After the row of nupps didn't work I got the bright idea to frog back. BAD idea!! I had placed a safety thread prior to starting the second section. Fingering yarn is not easy to frog back especially with the work naturally curling under.

To add misery to pain: I could not find another yarn or crochet thread slightly smaller in thickness to use for my safety so I did the "wrong" thing of using dental floss.

The white floss was almost lost in the yarn (colors almost identical). I had to take my work outside in the bright sun light to frog it. I also had to use a Small crochet hook to pick up and move each stitch onto the needle. It took a long time.

I'm talking about 250-300 stitches. I didn't count them. But I don't want to have to do that again.

BTW, I see that a lot of people think this shawl is hard. It isn't.
I found the pattern easy to remember and it worked up faster than I thought it would.

Dimpledapple
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh my... :shock: So sorry you had such a horrible time frogging back. I take it tinking back is out of the question as well?

To match up the stitch count you need to do an additional 5 repeats of the budding lace pattern for a total of 24 repeats. Remember that once you start the Lace Border pattern (after you're done with the nupps) the stitch count will still be off, so this time you'll need to do four increases on each side.

By the way, how large do you want your shawl to be? Doing 24 bud repeats in fingering weight yarn will make it rather large which is perfect if that's what you want. I did 19 repeats using lace weight yarn. Are you on Ravelry? You can definitely look up all the different Swallowtail's people have done in different sizes, with different weight yarn, etc. They also include great tips!

Hope this helps :)

Lighting57
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
After 20 repeats it measures 30" wide. I know it will be wider once it has been blocked, but I don't know how much larger. I want it to reach to mid buttocks or just below when finished.

I have a Ravelry account but, I don't have a high speed connection.
Therefore, Ravelry is pretty much useless to me. It takes forever to load one page.

I'm guessing this is fingering weight. It has 16-18 wraps per inch.

Thanks for all of your input Dimpledapple.

luvmykid28
08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
FAN-TAB-U-LOUS!!!!!:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

domiknitrix
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Wow. This is just so beautiful!!! You really did a fantastic job. So Beautiful and classy. I want one!!

Dimpledapple
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
After 20 repeats it measures 30" wide. I know it will be wider once it has been blocked, but I don't know how much larger. I want it to reach to mid buttocks or just below when finished.

I have a Ravelry account but, I don't have a high speed connection.
Therefore, Ravelry is pretty much useless to me. It takes forever to load one page.

I'm guessing this is fingering weight. It has 16-18 wraps per inch.

Thanks for all of your input Dimpledapple.

No prob! Let me know if you have any other questions :)