PDA

View Full Version : ACRYLLIC Options From Knit Picks

Arielluria
07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Just got an email about acryllic options (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/knitting_needles.html?medid=BE090727_A&elink=1:Zephyr_A&media=BE090727_A&email=ladyborg@texasnova.com) from KP. I haven't heard of these. Are they brand new or has anyone tried them? How do you like them?

Jan in CA
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I just saw them in my new Interweave Knits that came today. I think they're brand new.

newamy
07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I just got a knit picks e-mail advertising them. Interesting. I don't usually use plastic needles but for those who like them they might be good.

bmay33
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I started learning on a set of Susan Bates Acrylics.... it sucked..lol I hope these are better!

cresmoon
07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I started on the acrylics straights I picked up at Joanne's and they are very grabby needles but I imagine these are probably smoother than those. It does say on the page that they're meant for people who travel, which means they probably made them because they thought like Denise's, they're not metal and would be airline safe. And they do seem to cost less than the nickel and Harmony sets.

suzeeq
07-30-2009, 08:42 PM
There's a whole thread about them on Ravelry - http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/knitpicks-lovers/720825/
However, they've just become available so I doubt anyone who doesn't work for KPs has tried them yet.

They're a lot less expensive than the others too.

cresmoon
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
They are less expensive; at that price, I'm strongly tempted to order a set, except that if I finally cave in and buy a set of interchangeables, I really don't want acrylic needles.

You know...I wonder what aluminum needles would be like? Aluminum's not that expensive because it's so abundant and it would probably be very lightweight, too.

bmay33
07-31-2009, 12:15 AM
They are less expensive; at that price, I'm strongly tempted to order a set, except that if I finally cave in and buy a set of interchangeables, I really don't want acrylic needles.

You know...I wonder what aluminum needles would be like? Aluminum's not that expensive because it's so abundant and it would probably be very lightweight, too.

I've knit with some US17 aluminums... they were pretty much like the nickel plated as far as grip goes, but much more lightweight, even at the larger size my arms weren't tired like I thought they would be.. (of course I frogged the blanket halfway through it, so.... lol)

cresmoon
07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
bmay, what brand were those aluminum needles you used?

sakura-panda
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
The product description (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Zephyr_Circular_Knitting_N eedle_Tips__DKPNDETIPACRYLIC.html)says "perfect for beginner ... and stress free travel".

I learned to knit on resin/plastic/acrylic needles (not sure exactly what they were but is was something like that) and they were a little flexible. I think they were good for learning, but it wasn't long before I began trying out other materials, looking for something different.

I might toss a set of tips into my next order, though, because I'm curious and I don't think there is such a thing as "too many needles". :teehee: However, if they are anything like my starter needles, I don't think they will replace my other Options.

cresmoon
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Something else that's new - a stand for needle tips - pretty cool idea:

http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Options_Needle_Tip_Stand__D80607.html

bmay33
07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
bmay, what brand were those aluminum needles you used?
I believe they are Boye..

Anarfea
08-01-2009, 05:16 AM

I've knit with hollow alluminum needles (15? I think) and I didn't really like it. Okay, it's light, and fast, but I just don't like that slick a texture.

cresmoon
08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Soooo...anyone seriously thinking of buying these and/or will buy them and post a review to let us know how the acrylic tips are? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

I am extremely curious about them myself at that price but I simply cannot afford to buy anything right now, not needles, not even yarn.

Craw
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I just placed an order with Knit Picks. I ordered one set of tips in size 9. I'll probably try them out on a scarf. Generally, I don't like plastic needles. I started on plastic and they were great in the beginning but I quickly found out I like metal better. Can't know for sure I don't like them if I never try them so I figured I would. They do look purty. Orders usually take about 14 days to get to me so now I'll have to wait, patiently ... NOT! :teehee:

cresmoon
08-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Let us know how they are, Craw. I thought about ordering one set of tips, too, but I don't really need any new needles right now so I can wait a while to see what the reviews have to say.

Lisa R.
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Obviously, you're going to get good reviews from Kelley Petkun and the folks at KnitPicks, but you can learn more about them on Kelley's podcast. (http://community.knitpicks.com/profile/KnitPicksPodcast) Scroll down to episode 105.

cresmoon
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Someone at the knitter's review website forums has also ordered a set of tips and will hopefully be posting a review soon.

I wonder if this is a brand new set, if they've at least worked out some of the kinks by now of the cables coming apart, the problems that we'd been discussing on the other thread Mason started.

Craw
08-02-2009, 07:42 PM
There is probably still issues with the cables as they all use the same ones. I have just one set of the 24" cables here. I've only had them for about 5 or 6 mos. and I've only knitted flat with them by making a couple of dish cloths and scarves. Nothing in the round with those where I would have been pulling on them.

suzeeq
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
There's a thread on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/knitpicks-lovers/743600/) that has comments on people who've just received them. Very positive so far.

ArtLady1981
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I placed a yarn order from KnitPicks yesterday...and I was tempted to order one set of Zephyr tips...but chickened out.

Today I saw a photo of them...and I am going to order a set of the size 6 tips in my next order BECAUSE they are CLEAR ACRYLIC! How beautiful is that???!!! :heart:

I love a visually beautiful needle, so...I'm in! :thumbsup:

I won't order the set, as I already have the FULL MONTY for the metal and harmony options...but I certainly can afford to add a few Zephyr tips to my sets.

Stay tuned. I'll post my 2 cents on how they knit!

Jan in CA
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
My friend ordered us each a set of tips to try out. I'll let you know how they work out. And yes, they are pretty!

dustinac
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
We (mom and me) ordered some tips too...they do look pretty, I'll let ya know what I think when I get them :happydance:

ArtLady1981
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Have you seen the video demonstration, provided on the FULL SET Zephyr page?

Yo5X786bXe8

I wonder about the first knitter's comment...about the Zephyr needles being "just a little bit STICKY..."

That adjective is a bit scary.

I ordered the 6-7-8 tips just a minute ago. Am willing to give them a trial run.

suzeeq
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
From what I've read, they're stickier than the metal options, but slicker than the harmonies.

Craw
08-05-2009, 06:32 PM
LMAO! I hadn't seen that YouTube video. Even if I don't like knitting with the Zephyrs, I can always play Star Wars with them! :roflhard:

suzeeq
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Someone did a review on her blog (http://knitmama78.blogspot.com/2009/08/zephyr-needles-review.html).

lynnlisiewski
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Something else that's new - a stand for needle tips - pretty cool idea:

http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Options_Needle_Tip_Stand__D80607.html
Yes I want that Gosh I want too much I have options & harmony interchangebles I do not need the acrylics give me strength :)

cresmoon
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Artlady, for what it's worth, I own some acrylic straights that I picked up very cheap at Joann's a few years ago and they're really not that sticky (and I was a very tight knitter then). And I'm sure that those will be far lower quality than the KP acrylics, which from what I've heard are fairly smooth (not as slick as the nickel ones of course but still). You probably won't prefer acrylics for the grabbier yarns but maybe you will for some other slippery yarns. Hope that makes you feel better.

ArtLady1981
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Artlady, for what it's worth, I own some acrylic straights that I picked up very cheap at Joann's a few years ago and they're really not that sticky (and I was a very tight knitter then). And I'm sure that those will be far lower quality than the KP acrylics, which from what I've heard are fairly smooth (not as slick as the nickel ones of course but still). You probably won't prefer acrylics for the grabbier yarns but maybe you will for some other slippery yarns. Hope that makes you feel better.

Oh, yes, it certainly does! Thanks for the info! I do have some DEBBIE BLISS "Pure Silk" that is slippery-est doggone yarn I've ever worked with! Matter of fact, it's so slippery, it won't work up into a proper 'cake' on the ball winder! You have to wind it by hand!

So I have about 10 skeins of this yarn...and it is good news that maybe these new ZEPHYR needles will make the knitting much easier to manipulate!

I'm always willing to give a new KnitPicks product a try!
Especially since they allow you to order just a set of tips...for a trial! So I ordered my most frequently used 'scarf' sizes...the 6, 7, and 8's. I doubt I'll ever order the entire set. I have a kazillion cables, cable keys, and end caps! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Below (in blue) is a Zephyr Testimonial by Yvonne (http://www.ravelry.com/people/23psalms) (23psalms) over in the "Knitpicks Lovers" Ravelry Group!
I'm so happy to read such glowing words about KP's latest baby!

"OK, I did a test drive and I gotta admit, these needles are GREAT!!! I did a few rows with them on a current WiP and here’s my opinion: Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary
They don’t “squeak” or feel “plastic-y”.
No noise from them at all…zip, nada, zilch.
I think they are a tad bit slicker than the wood Harmony, definitely slicker than any bamboo, but not quite as slick as the NP.
Crystal clear. You can see both legs of the stitch, which may take a bit of time to get used to.
They are lighter to work with than the wood, if you can believe that. It feels like knitting with nothing, :-)
The yarn glides smoothly over the join.
I used a sz 7 and it’s not as flexible as you may think, it’s relatively stiff. The 4’s have a good amount of “give” (for lack of a better word) and the larger sizes hardly bend at all.
Great pointy tips.So overall, I’m very pleased with them, and even though I only did a few rows with them (didn’t want to mess with my gauge) I think it was a very wise investment. You all are in for a treat!
I’m curious to know what others think about them. Please keep us all posted!
23rd…"

maniago
08-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a kazillion cables, cable keys, and end caps! :teehee:

Hmmmm is that somewhere between not nearly enough and almost enough?:)

ArtLady1981
08-07-2009, 07:45 PM
:roflhard:

Yes!

suecq
08-08-2009, 08:17 AM
My Zephyr set arrived on Friday and I have used them on several different projects. I agree with everything Yvonne said.

I used size 4 on a lace (wool) project. The needles and yarn were so light it felt like I had nothing in my hands. The yarn moved easily on the needles without slipping off too quickly. The sharp tips were great for lace. I had been using Harmonies on this project.

I used size 7 on a sweater project using Rowan Calmer yarn. There was no drag, the needles were light as a feather. I had been using the nickel plated Options on this project.

I used size 6 on a Kid Silk scarf. There was slight drag with this project. Not enough to be troublesome. This project was on the Nickel plate Options. I switched back to the metal.

I don't think I was prepared for the lightness of the needles. It was a very nice surprise. All in all these make a nice addition to my Options NP and Harmony needles.

ArtLady1981
08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering: Looks like another HOME RUN for Knit Picks! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Craw
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I got the set I ordered in today. That was record speed for me. I never get packages from Knit Picks that quick! I was SO excited to try them out but I never got the chance to. They're broken! After I screwed on the tips I used the tightening key to make it snug and it doesn't snug up at all. It just keeps going around and around and never tightens. I don't know if it's the cable or the needle. Now I'm SO disappointed! Argh! Yes, I'm going to email customer service but what a way to take the wind out of my sails. :mad:

ArtLady1981
08-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Ahhhh that hurts! I'm so sorry for your disappointment! I'd be soooo bummed out! I can't remember, but didn't you just order one set of tips?

If you ordered the entire set, be sure to give them all an inspection!

When I ordered my full set of NP and Harmony, I gave everything a close inspection! Wanted to make sure all threads fit all sockets, etc!

KnitPicks is going to be devastated about this bad news. Especially since every tidbit of negative news is made public as we all share our good news and bad news with each other. Oh well. They've got to expect us to SHARE!

Thanks for the info! Sorry you had a disappointing day! :pout:

robynbird
08-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I got my needles (ordered 6,7,8,9) on Friday and moved my shawl onto them from the Harmony's. I just love them - very light and smooth. The fingering weight wool just glides right over them. :heart:

ArtLady1981
08-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I got my needles (ordered 6,7,8,9) on Friday and moved my shawl onto them from the Harmony's. I just love them - very light and smooth. The fingering weight wool just glides right over them. :heart:

Yay! Now that's what I wanna hear! :cheering:

dustinac
08-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I got mine yesterday and started a scarf...Like other posters have said they are very light...after reading some reviews I pictured these needles bending...they don't really bend but more like move with the knitting. I ordered tips 4,5,and 6...gonna order the other sizes I use often this week...:happydance:

suzeeq
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
They sound more like they're 'flexible' than 'bendy'.

kellyh57
08-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Are they like Denise's? That's what I'm picturing. Does anyone have them both that can compare? I won't buy them until they get them to stop breaking all the time, but just curious...

ArtLady1981
08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Are they like Denise's? That's what I'm picturing. Does anyone have them both that can compare? I won't buy them until they get them to stop breaking all the time, but just curious...

No, not like Denise's at all. They are crystal clear, smooth, slick acrylic! Mine are on the way! Will post photos soon!

dustinac
08-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I had Denise's but didn't keep them...I don't think they are like Denise's at all. They are smooth and the joins are really nice...plus the tips are nice like the other KP needles...I didn't care for the Denise's tips

suzeeq
08-09-2009, 04:56 PM
They're not all breaking. Most people seem to be having trouble with the size 6s though...

ArtLady1981
08-09-2009, 05:56 PM
They're not all breaking. Most people seem to be having trouble with the size 6s though...

Breaking? As in: snap in half? :??

Or, just malfunctioning in some way? :think:

suzeeq
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
The needle coming out of the join, not snapping in two. kellyh57 said she wouldn't get any "until they get them to stop breaking all the time" and that's a bit of an overstatement. Or confusing.

ArtLady1981
08-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I think the word 'breaking' simply means 'malfunctioning'.

But, if it doesn't perform like it oughta...it might's well be snapped in half! :teehee:

kellyh57
08-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I had a set for 2 weeks and 6 cables came apart in that time. I refuse to buy a product that comes apart like that so easily. I've heard plenty of people have the same problems, so it's not just me. I've had my Denise's for almost 2 years and have yet to have a problem. Until KP comes up with a better connection design, I won't buy them. You'd think they'd work on that instead of putting out new needles, but who am I to judge. They must be selling enough to make up for replacing them and not think they need to work on the design.

Jan in CA
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
It isn't just you, Kelly, but you have to remember that those with problems are going to complain the loudest. People w/o aren't going to say much as a rule. I must know 15 people who use them and no one has had more than a few issues if any. I'm sorry you were one of the few who had major problems. :doh:

dustinac
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I have been lucky with my KP needles...my mom has had some not screw onto the cable...but KP is very fast in sending her a replacement.

I have had a Denise cable snap on me though...

I would like to try the new Addi set but have read about things on that set too...so thought I may wait a year and then try them...

No set is perfect...:thumbsup:

suzeeq
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree with Jan. Sounds like you got a bad set kelly, but for every complaint, there's probably 10 people who had no problems at all.

Shandeh
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I would like to try them, because they might be good for my arthritic hands. My favorite circulars are the Bryspun (http://www.brysonknits.com/bryspun.htm) needles, which are a soft plastic that is good for arthritis.

suzeeq
08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
While I love my metal needles, I must admit the bamboos are sooo light. I have a few plastic too, so will try out a set of the acrylics.

robynbird
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I've had my KP Options Nickel and Harmony since they first came out and I had problems with 2 chords and 1 needle and haven't had any issues since. I got the Zephyr and I haven't had any problems and love them so much.

The Zephyrs are nothing like Denise needles at all. They are smooth and not grainy like the Denise. I have a Denise set but don't really like it at all.

Zeldabows
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I am a new knitter. I bought the bamboo in straight and circular sets. I was happy with both until I bought the new Zephers from KnitPicks. They are wonderful. I knit a little looser on them but so far I have used 2 sizes in 3 days and would never give them up. They are almost as light as the bamboo ones.

:woot:

ArtLady1981
08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks for your report, Zelda!
I'm so happy you are here with us at Knitting Help!

And, I am really looking forward to my ZEPHYR'S that are en route to my house!

Jan in CA
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
My tips have arrived, but I won't get them till Friday because I added them to a friends order. Can't wait to try them!

Slim
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I ordered a set of Zephyrs on Thursday, 8/6, and they arrived yesterday, 8/11. I opened them today to check all the connections, etc., and found that one of the size 11 tips is rough and the other has bad threads. I called KnitPicks and they're sending out a new pair today. This is a birthday present for my dil -- hope they arrive in time!

The needles look beautiful, and are incredibly light. I haven't tried knitting with them because, after all, it is a gift. Maybe she'll let me try them after she opens them.

jdee
08-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I ordered the acrylic needle tips, sizes 1-10.75. They arrived yesterday, and I immediately started knitting with them. I absolutely LOVE them. In fact, probably more than my harmonies, but that's just a matter of preference. The Zephyrs are so light weight, and I love the look of them. I highly recommend them.

ArtLady1981
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I ordered a set of Zephyrs on Thursday, 8/6, and they arrived yesterday, 8/11. I opened them today to check all the connections, etc., and found that one of the size 11 tips is rough and the other has bad threads. I called KnitPicks and they're sending out a new pair today. This is a birthday present for my dil -- hope they arrive in time!

The needles look beautiful, and are incredibly light. I haven't tried knitting with them because, after all, it is a gift. Maybe she'll let me try them after she opens them.

Good thinking...to check the all out carefully before gifting them! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I just received my Zephyr tips...the 6's, 7's and 8's.
They certainly do look, and feel, wonderful!

However, I am batting 0 for 3! All three of my sets has one bad end. The end of the needle isn't sufficiently glued to the metal stem which plugs into the acrylic. The 7 & 8 tips turn around a bit...but 6 spins around. Not so bad that I couldn't knit with them...however, with time...they could spin worse, or even worse, crack and fall off.

So I called KnitPicks, and Shannon is sending me out new tips.
I told her that if the new sets also have one good end, and one bad end...I will have one full set...so no need for any more replacements...but I would let them know so that they can enter the information into their Zephyr information base.

I'm not particularly bummed. This is common with anything new. Also, I remember Crystal Palace bamboo needles had some batches of bad glue a few years ago, and I stumbled on a bad set...however, I gave them a spot of glue and they've been ok ever since.

So my report about how the Zephyr's knit will have to wait. I may cast on a little swatch, just for curiosity! Maybe the spinning won't detract. After all, the Crystal Palace circs 'spin' or 'rotate' as a part of the design! So do the Lantern Moon Rosewoods. I kinda like it, no...I really like it. It is somehow easier to knit!

globaltraveler
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Good thinking...to check the all out carefully before gifting them! :thumbsup:

Yeah, no kidding! Smart!

I'm just getting ready to order my former SIL a set of HiyaHiya needles...I've been meaning to find an excuse to send her an interchangeable set, but gave up waiting for Christmas, so she's getting her Christmas present early. Sure wish I could check them out first for her too! :)

Only thing is, she prefers wood, but I think I may eventually give her my Harmonies anyway, since I'll be getting the Hiya Hiyas for myself in London. This way at least she'll be able to have metal for anything she wants it for -- she's got Denise needles, doesn't really like the resin much, but hasn't been able to afford a new set.

ArtLady1981
08-14-2009, 06:57 AM
I was able to use my Zephyr's tonight, regardless of the loose join. Anyway, I'm happy to report that they are great! As others have stated, the Zephyr's are smooth and silky. Lightweight. They handle very nicely! They are NOT 'sticky'!

I completed 5 logs for a new LOG CABIN blanket tonight, and used the Zephyr circs for all of it! I just couldn't put them down! They do knit quickly, and they do not split the yarn as readily as the nickel plated OPTIONS. The tips are not as 'spear-like'. They are pointy, but they don't stab your fingertips as much as the NP or Harmony's.

So my overall assessment is: the new Zephyrs are WINNERS. And because they are so affordably priced, they are a GREAT entry into the 'interchangeables' world of knitting!

Here are some photos of them, which shows how crystal clear they are, and the tips:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/3819555673_f8c4b1dec9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2554/3820360354_3f34b9f919.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/3820360610_f3ef075553.jpg

And here is my progress on the City Tweed HW Minimalist Log Cabin. It will feature 4 colors, all place as 'rings' around each other.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2613/3819555837_2c3aa0f610.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2507/3819017836_59516fc0a0.jpg
Snowshoe, Toad, Cottontail, and Tabby!

wadcorbe
08-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I just placed my first ever order with KP, and I went ahead and ordered the whole set of acryllics, along with some yarn. Can't wait for it to get here!!! :)

ArtLady1981
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I just placed my first ever order with KP, and I went ahead and ordered the whole set of acryllics, along with some yarn. Can't wait for it to get here!!! :)

Congratulations! I'm happy for you! :cheering:

Be sure to check every needle and cable when you get your set. Screw every needle tip onto the cables and test the fit!
If ANYTHING is not just right, please call the toll-free number at KnitPicks (1-800-574-1323) and they will ANSWER the phone, and they will quickly take care of any issue...by sending you a replacement for free. You will not have to send them the wonky piece.

ArtLady1981
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I was interested in the many comments about the Zephyr's being "lightweight". So, I used my gram wt scale to weigh the NP, H and Z needle tip, size US6.

NP: 4gr
H: 2gr
Z: 2gr

I've been knitting with my US8 Zephyr's, despite the loose acrylic-to-stem join. I've been alternating between the Harmony's and the Zephyr's. One ridge with H, next ridge with Z.

The Harmony needles are more satiny, and have no tendency to get 'squeaky'. But, when acrylic meets acrylic...there seems to be a bit of drag sometimes. They can squeak as they cross paths. The Harmony's don't even have a conflict with one another when they cross paths.

I'm not going to compare NP's to the H's & Z's...cuz I feel the NP's are in a class by themselves along with all nickel plated needles.

I think Zephyr's are a great price, and a great needle.
However, I feel the Harmony's are a mirror image of the Zephyr's good qualities, but better. Harmony's are superior to Zephyr's. This is one knitter's opinion.

However, dollar for dollar, the Zephyr's the best buy!
I would recommend the Zephyr Set to anyone who is considering the purchase of their first set of interchangeables...and especially to new knitters, and to those who must consider their budget constraints. You won't be sorry with the performance of the Zephyr's.

If you already own the set of Harmony's...the Zephyr's are kind of redundant. I purchased the US6,7,8 tips...but won't invest in any additional sizes.

That's my 2 cents! :wink:

yarncharmer
08-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your great review, Artlady! That was really helpful-- I appreciate your thoughtful comparison between the Harmonies and Zephyrs. I don't have any KP needles, but was able to borrow a Harmony fixed circular from a friend for awhile, and I really loved it. The Zephyrs, though, are almost half the price. I'm debating between the Zephyrs, Harmonies, and HiyaHiyas-- one of them will be on my Christmas wish list, if I can wait that long...

ETA: I love the new picture of your sweet dog together with your new log cabin blanket - very cute.

suecq
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Interesting. After reading the results of your weighing the different needles I used both the Harmony and Acrylic tips on the same piece. I was using Rowan Calmer (a cotton blend) and size 7 needles. The acrylic still felt lighter. I am not doubting your weighing results and feel it must be an imagined difference due to the makeup of the acrylic.

I love my Harmony needles, as well as the Nickel and acrylic needle. I think the hardest part of future projects may be in deciding which tips to use.

ArtLady1981
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree, Sue! I was amazed when the Z's weighed the same as the H's! Maybe I will re-weigh them again...but this time with 2- Z tips and next, 2-H tips.

My scale just shows whole gram weight. But what if the H was really just a skosh OVER 2 gr but not enough to tip the scale up to 3gr? Well, by weighing both needle tips at the same time...if that were true...2-H's would weigh maybe 5gr...while the 2-Z tips would still be true at 4gr.

Well, now I've gone and gotten my curiosity going! Wait a sec. I'm gonna run out and do it right now! Oy!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT! :??
Here is the final gram weight, weighing 2-US6 tips of each type:
2 Harmony tips: 5gr
2 Zephyr tips: 6gr
2 NP tips: 8gr

The Zephyr's weigh more than the Harmony's!!!!!!
Addtionally, one of my Zephyr tips wanted to say 3gr, then it would say 2gr. So it was obviously very close to being 3gr.
But both were a solid 6gr. Mind-boggling!

I think you're right, Sue. The make-up of the Zephyr's make them feel lighter!

But in actuality, the Harmony's weigh less. 1gr less per 2 pieces. That isn't much difference. Not that you could tell by holding them in your hand. The NP's are very discernably heavier, even when held in your hands you can detect their heavier weight!

suecq
08-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow, that is incredible! It just goes to show how the mind can play tricks on you (me.)

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reweigh them. Good idea using 2 tips.

Craw
08-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm still waiting for my replacements. :verysad:

ArtLady1981
08-20-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm still waiting for my replacements. :verysad:

Me, too! :pout: But I got an email that shows when they shipped!
(the very next day) It takes about 6 business days to get to my house...from them: Ohio, to me: Washington State!

You know the old saying "A watched pot never boils!" So true!

ArtLady1981
08-21-2009, 12:22 AM
UPDATE! I called KnitPicks on Aug 13th about my 3 sets of ZEPHYR needle tips. All 3 sets had one needle that was not glued on properly to the metal stem.

I received my new tips today! That's just 5 business days from my phone call to my new needles in hand!

Craw, have you received your needles yet!??? :shrug:

Craw
08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Craw, have you received your needles yet!??? :shrug:

Nope, not yet. :pout: I suppose I could email again but I don't want to be a pest. But I wanna try them!!!! (she whines)

SBG
08-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I got one pair of size 7 tips to try out. I don't care for them. But even the Harmonies are quite slick enough for my tastes. I like the nickel plated best. I do like how the acrylics looks. Since they're clear it's kind of like knitting with invisible needles :)

wadcorbe
08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I got my order from KP on Friday, and so far I've used the acryllic tips 4, 5, 6, and 10. Out of all of them, I only have one that is not glued properly. I really like them, but I have not used any good quality needles before, so I'm comparing them to the cheapies I've been using. I find they knit much nicer with wool compared to acryllic yarn. I must also say that I LOVE the KP superwash merino wool. cloud9 It is sooooo soft, and not scratchy at all! Now if only I could get the whole dyeing ordeal downpat.......:teehee:

Craw
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Do I get to gripe a little? I still have no needles :pout: and it's been almost a month since I first ordered them. I emailed them to ask when to expect the replacements and they said they forgot to ship them. Oy! So, ok, they ship them. Except they sent me a 24" cable, not the needles. Oops. I send another email to try to clear this up and yes, they're going to send out another package with the needles in them. These needles can't be worth all this trouble!! :wall: :waah:

OK, my rant is over ... :teehee: It's just that I was very much looking forward to trying them and here I am, still no needles.