PDA

View Full Version : basic dishcloth or dishrag

Woodi
08-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I got this pattern off the internet, where it's called "Idiot-proof" but I'm not sure it is.

I managed to use the wrong-size needles (7 instead of 9) and it seems too small. (this is halfway, I'm supposed to begin decreasing not) I'm wondering if I can just knit a few plain rows in the middle, to enlarge it but not at the edges to widen it...kwim?
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/dishcloth.JPG

I bought a huge ball of this cotton yarn at a great price, couldn't resist.

What kind of dishcloths do you knit? There are so many patterns....

WandaT
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
If the size is too small for you, I'd just keep knitting in pattern until it's the right size - then start decreasing. BTW I usually always use size 6 or 7 needles when knitting dishcloths. Depending on my mood or who I'm knitting for, I have enjoyed all kinds of patterns. I love the lacy look especially for face cloths, but love the ones with specific shapes in the pattern too (i.e. dolphin, dog paw, house, etc.)

Woodi
08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
ok, will do. Thanks Wanda.

AH1OZ
08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
i've used that pattern on many different yarns and different sized needles

it is easy to change the size, just repeat in pattern until you get the size you want :)

i am currently using this pattern with very bulky yarn, and LARGE needles (cant remember the size of the top of my head)... but i am making a blanket with it! so far it is 3 feet across

Jan in CA
08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I've made these, too. It's measured from the corner to the needle if you want to get the width of the square.

Woodi
08-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I was concerned that if I kept increasing, it would be long and skinny somehow, but I guess it will be square, no matter how many stitches I add on.

suzeeq
08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
No, it keeps growing as a triangle, then when you decrease, it gets shaped into a square.