PDA

View Full Version : Snarkiness on Ravelry

GinnyG
08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I've been on Ravelry for a couple years and have not participated much in the forums (who needs ravelry forums when we have KH :happydance: ). But for some reason this summer I have gotten involved in some of the groups.

There are some great groups for specific "stuff" (mittens, fair isle, dale of norway etc) and I've gotten some wonderful information and ideas from the.

But I've noticed that on some of "general" forums that people can be REALLY Snarky, I mean REALLY judgemental and critical. I wondered why that was.

Here and on other forums I am on we don't always agree and occasionally things get a bit heated but GENERALLY we are respectful and kind. On Ravelry I've seen people get torn to shreds for posting an opinion or thought others don't agree with.

Is it the volume of people involved? It certainly isn't lack of Moderators. I've been trying to stay away from the non-knitting threads because I usually end up stressed over it.

Anyone else noticed that it's not always a kind and gentle place? I'm not intending this as a Ravelry bash (I love Ravelry), just thoughts on why some forums are kinder than others.

suzeeq
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I think it's a lot to do with the sheer numbers. Then there's some people who just like to disagree with other people. Most of the ones I read don't generally get too bad. If someone posts a snide or negative remark, others will generally take them to task for it and often the OP apologizes. It's hard to judge tone with just words, and rav's interface doesn't allow for emoticons, which can help.

saracidaltendencies
08-20-2009, 01:06 PM
I've noticed this problem with a lot of forums that have a large member base. I think some people feel less inhibited in the forums where there is a large member base and significant amount of posters because there is a degree of anonymity and the feeling that they can say what they want without repercussion in the "real world".

Then, there are those people who seem to live off conflict. And, what better way to be involved with conflict than in a public forum where there are hundreds, if not thousands of varying opinions.

There are also people who seem to not have a firm grasp on language and/or an inability to correctly put into words their opinion/s.

And, of course, there are people who are just mean. I was a member of a forum years ago for stay at home moms...Man, the rudeness on that forum! I quit going. It turned into nothing but battles between stay at home moms and working moms, moms criticizing other moms over their methods of child raising, women bad mouthing other women because of the clothes they wore ("they shouldn't dress like that, they're moms!"). It was terrible.

After years of spending little bits of time on various forums, there are only 2 I still visit. KH, of course, and a forum a good friend of mine runs and I'm an admin at. At both forums, the drama isn't there and there's a true sense of community and "family". Of course there are disagreements but the majority of the time we all try to post our opinions in a way that won't offend another member because of the feeling of "family" that has developed.

One last thing I've noticed is it seems the more specialized a forum, the less conflict. The forums that are based on a single common interest, such as KH, seem to be more friendly than general interest forums or forums with many various topics. They seem to lack the bond that common interest forums have.

Anyway, that's my take on it! :teehee:

Jan in CA
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Considering the few number of people here compared to Rav and we still have issues occasionally it stands to reason they'd have a lot more problems. Knitting Help is much more user friendly when it comes to sharing our love of knitting and camaraderie. It's easier for us mods to nip things in the bud before things spiral out of control.

I have only a few groups compared to many people and they tend to be specific rather than general. Like Chic Knits where the designer is involved and can help you out with her patterns.

Lucy78green
08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I think the main forums on there are really argumentative. Even for a simple question such as asking for an opinion I've had people hit disagree without commenting, which is confusing as it wasn't an appropriate response. I can't remember what the question was, but something like: "do you think this would look better in blue or green?". I think there are plenty of trolls out there to cause hassle. In the groups I've joined there haven't been any issues, and sometimes when I've read something to be offensive I've gone away and thought about the context in which it was posted and realised I had misinterpreted the response.

jdee
08-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I know what you mean. When I first joined Ravelry, I got my feelings hurt so bad that I almost left, but then I decided not to deprive myself of a wonderful source of information, patterns, and interesting tips, just because of a few hateful people. I just had to amend how I used ravelry, learn which groups seem to be the most welcoming, and not post if a thread gets heated. Since then, I haven't had any problems. I figure if someone just wants to be nasty, I feel sorry for them.

GinnyG
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I really dislike the buttons on the bottom of the posts on Ravelry and other forums. ESPECIALLY the "disagree" button, it's to vague and frequently misused. It seems that sometimes people use it just to be mean. I was much happier when I learned how to TURN IT OFF!

I agree that sheer numbers makes it easier for people to be cranky but it still takes me by surprise when someone posts something looking for support and they get torn to bits. It's like the only place some can flex their muscle is the internet!

Jan in CA
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I really dislike the buttons on the bottom of the posts on Ravelry and other forums. ESPECIALLY the "disagree" button, it's to vague and frequently misused. It seems that sometimes people use it just to be mean. I was much happier when I learned how to TURN IT OFF!

You can turn it off? :??

Debkcs
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
I think that the whole internet allows people to say things, hurtful or otherwise, with complete annonymity. I've had some really terrible things said to me online that people wouldn't say to my face. :shrug:

GinnyG
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
You can turn it off? :??
ABSOLUTELY!!

Go to the forum page, on the far right is a tab that says "rearrange", click on that. It allows you to rearrange the order in which the forums show up on your page.

If you scroll all the way down to he bottom of the page it has the "buttons" listed, by unchecking any of the buttons you don't want displayed it removes them from your screen. OTHERS will still see the buttons they chose to see and can hit disagree on your posts. But, the buttons you uncheck do not show when YOU are on the page.

I unchecked the "disagree" button as soon as I realized that it is often used in a passive aggresive way. Other can still disagree but I don't have to know about it.

I call it living in disagreeable oblivion:teehee: The only way I know if someone disagrees with me is if they take the time to explaon why they disagree, which I find a much better way.

knitpurlgurl
08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I have been torn to shreds there personally - and not for much at all. On two occassions, someone got ahold of my blog posts. The ppl who linked to them actually thought they were funny & had good advice (one was about you know you're a knitter when.. and the other advice to LYS to keep local business - which I prefaced with how much I'd rather support my LYS). I didn't even post anything and WAM! I got all sorts of horrid insults and meanness. KH is at least respectful. Sure ppl disagree here, but ppl aren't insulting you as a person because they disagree. Hate that ppl feel the need to be rude and mean. Didn't their mothers ever teach them that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all?

I am the administrator and a mod for 'Moving Beyond Rectangles' - a group for newbies and advanced beginners. I do not allow snarkiness there. I don't care how many times a question is asked. It's important to the poster. I believe in treating everyone the way you'd want to be treated.

Arielluria
08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Ginny I agree with you and I have a theory. Here on KH sometimes we get into heated discussions and that's to be expected..........heck even in Bible study forums of people with like beliefs as myself we sometimes get pretty heated! The difference between here and Ravelry though is that we are UNITED here in knitting and crocheting, and on Ravelry fragmented into different groupings. Here we make peace, there we go to pieces.........:teehee:

Which is why Ravelry is great for finding patterns and all, but KH still rocks!!!!!!!!

Additionally, there are those on Ravelry who stalk others so they can either remark (if they have the courage) to a post they disagree with, or just mark the "funny" button on serious discussions. :hmm: Not cool! I don't mind people not agreeing with me, it makes for better conversation......as long as everyone keeps it cordial.

knitfan
08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree with you. In fact, I was hoping someone might bring this up at some point. I have been very discouraged by the attitude and lack of respect many of the members have for each other on Ravelry. I stopped even reading most of the postings because they only make me feel like I don't want to be on there anymore. I came back to KH exclusively the last three weeks and don't feel that bad feeling at all that I would get when on the forums on Ravelry. They do have some good info and patterns, etc. but I can get most of that on this website. I am a slow knitter and don't need alot of different things to work on.

Ingrid
08-20-2009, 11:45 PM
:grphug:

We are family. . . all my fellow knitters and me. . .

sgtpam
08-21-2009, 12:01 AM

:roflhard: Ditto............mmmmm, now, where's that agree buttonm:teehee: :rofl:

Debkcs
08-21-2009, 03:07 AM
I call it living in disagreeable oblivion :roflhard:

That's great! Why is it that people think they have to state their opinion on everything?

GinnyG
08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
:roflhard:

That's great! Why is it that people think they have to state their opinion on everything?
Actually maybe I should call it AGREEABLE oblivion, since my disagree is turned off I can just assume everyone AGREES with me:roflhard:

I think I'll start a "turn off the disagee" movement on Ravelry..... it would make it a much nicer place.

rachael72knitter
08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I belong to a forum here in Houston that has thousands of members and doesn't have the level of snarkiness that you can find on Ravelry. The thing that bothers me the most is how one person will do something to be mean, or make fun of a person who has commented, and several others will join in and do the same thing. To me, Ravelry goes beyond your average snarky, and can be very clique-ish.

The disagree button drives me insane too. There are times when it is totally innapropriate like when someone asks a question and it makes me think, "what are these ppl disagreeing with?"

The other thing is that the threads can get sooooooooo off topic. I have come across technical threads that I am interested in, and instead I am reading a bunch of crapola by haters who have posted their petty arguments or disagreements about stuff that has nothing to do with the OP's post. As an admin of a couple of forums in my area, I would not even allow it because it really screws up the search feature of a forum. If a thread gets off-topic with several posts, I split the thread so that ppl can still read about the original topic. Sometimes I think the admin and mods over there could do more to try and keep certain sections relevent.

I do like the groups though. I am on the teacher forum and enjoy it, along with a few other groups where we have common interests and ppl generally get along. What kills me though are guests that aren't members of our groups that post some snarky thing and don't even look back to see other people's response. It is so easy to join a group that you have interest in, I don't know why ppl can post without even belonging. I feel like if onlookers had to join to comment, it would cut down on some of this stalker-hater type activity on groups.

I have actually had fellow knitters tell me that they don't post there anymore b/c some other member that they had a disagreement with started stalking them on the forum, and taking every oppurtunity they could to attack this member, even in the groups they belonged to, and others joined in the activity.

It is a useful site, but I do think it could use a little more policing in the tech sections, and if one sticks to just their groups and using it as a resource for patterns and stash, it is okay. I often avoid the general sections b/c they can be quite scary with the levels of mean-ness.

GinnyG
08-21-2009, 07:29 AM
I have actually had fellow knitters tell me that they don't post there anymore b/c some other member that they had a disagreement with started stalking them on the forum, and taking every oppurtunity they could to attack this member, even in the groups they belonged to, and others joined in the activity.

It is a useful site, but I do think it could use a little more policing in the tech sections, and if one sticks to just their groups and using it as a resource for patterns and stash, it is okay. I often avoid the general sections b/c they can be quite scary with the levels of mean-ness.

Sorry for cutting up your post but just wanted to comment on a couple things you mentioned.
I have absolutley seen posters "stalk" others for the sole purpose of stirring up difficulty. There are some people who show up on multiple threads with really nasty comments ALL THE TIME. I can only assume they are very unhappy people.

I have seen (in my limited time on the genral forums) a definate "pack" mentality. It seems that as soon as one person goes in for the kill others soon follow suit. I am amazed at the level of disrespect practiced. I would NEVER post anything personal on Ravelry, I have seen people starting threads loooking for a little support and ending up being told they are the worst person in the world. I could post that my dog died and end up being made to feel it was my fault.

I have decided to stick with the "technical" or knitting groups and stay away from the General forums. I have been trying to figure out how to remove "Remnants" from my forum page (I don't even want to be tempted to be drawn into those discussions) but haven't figured it out yet.

Arielluria
08-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I belong to a forum here in Houston that has thousands of members and doesn't have the level of snarkiness that you can find on Ravelry.Which forum is that? I'm in Houston too.

Arielluria
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I would NEVER post anything personal on RavelryA good thing NOT to do on any 'social' site!

Arielluria
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I've sat and watched Ravelry's 'radar' (random posts as they are posted by users on groups) as I knit or wait on the phone on hold. It's obvious they are very selective about what they allow up on radar.

saracidaltendencies
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Um, in my opinion, I don't think people feel they always have to state their opinion on everything. :roflhard::roflhard: :p

Couldn't resist :teehee:

Arielluria
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think your opinion on Debkcs' opinion is valid :teehee:
:flirt:

LOL! OK now this post just got silly! What can I say, it's Friday, I'm getting a massage at 4 and this week I REALLY earned it!!!!!!!!!!! If my dog would let me sleep past 8, I'd sleep in tomorrow.

I love my KH family! Hugs to all and a very blessed weekend to everyone!
:hug:

jdee
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
On the other hand, I started a thread a while back, explaining how I was too shy to friend people, and I ended up with more friends than I could count. So Ravelry isn't all bad.:teehee:

Jan in CA
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Um...I've asked myself that in here several times, too. :lol: That's how heated discussions usually get started.

I have been trying to figure out how to remove "Remnants" from my forum page (I don't even want to be tempted to be drawn into those discussions) but haven't figured it out yet.
http://www.ravelry.com/issues/529

Some of this may be interesting and answered a few of my questions, too.
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/565942/1-25#4

GinnyG
08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Um...I've asked myself that in here several times, too. :lol: That's how heated discussions usually get started.

http://www.ravelry.com/issues/529

Some of this may be interesting and answered a few of my questions, too.
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/565942/1-25#4

I didn't realize you could put some forums on different "tabs". The "Big 6" cannot be unsubscribed but apparently they can be put on a different tab. I'll have to do just that!

lelvsdgs
08-21-2009, 02:56 PM
That is why I stopped going into the forums except for a very few. I mostly go into a few forums on small groups I belong to and search for patterns. Don't need negativity when I'm dealing with the thing that relaxes me. :)

Simply_Renee
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
I tend to only frequent the groups on Ravelry that I have added, not the main ones. Even in the smaller groups I find that people are not as friendly or responsive as they are here (although of course there are exceptions.)

I personally would never post anything that I wouldn't say to someone's face, and I pride myself on being kind to others.

I mostly use Ravelry for my own project scrapbook, patterns, and to see what my friends are knitting. For community I would rather come here, to my Facebook where I am only friends with people I know and like, or to my real life friends!

bambi
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I have "joined" 3 Rav groups: KH (of course), Knit Picks, and my local rav group but I still have not posted. I basically lurk to see if there is any news and found out we are getting a new LYS. :hiding:

But you all are so nice and fun that I really don't feel a need to post on their groups! :mrgreen:

Bambi

rachael72knitter
08-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Which forum is that? I'm in Houston too.
It isn't a knit forum, it is a car fourm. My husband owns a shop, so I have a lot of involvement with cars and car poeple. If I am not visiting knit forums, I am on car fourms.

melmac51
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: Okay sis, now you have this stuck in my head.

Mike
08-25-2009, 01:24 AM
It certainly isn't lack of Moderators.

They may have moderators but they don't moderate.
I got a talking to from one of the heads because "I threatened someone with a banning" if they didn't stop sending me flames via PM. Shame on me for thinking that moderators would actually moderate someone who chases me out of forums after they managed that, tried to chase me off Ravelry via PMs.
If I ran the place I wouldn't have even warned her given her post history.

I don't do much on Ravelry any more.
Most off topic groups are off limits, I'll quickly pull the plug on the one I still check on. The main forums are way off limits. And even the general knitting and specific technique forums see very limited input from me.

I'm on an archery forum with a lot more members than Ravelry and even in the off topic political/religious section it is nowhere near as bad as Ravelry.

That's what the old lady tried doing with me (yes, it was an old lady you would think nice grandma type by looking at her).
It seems the people who run Ravelry are all for it. They'd rather those trolls chased others off than ban the trolls who are chasing people off.

Don't need negativity when I'm dealing with the thing that relaxes me.
That's exactly how I feel about the place.
My first internet forum was a place where we did little other than flame each other, so I don't mind meaningless flames. Other than the repetitiveness it can provide some humor.
I love political and religious forums as long as they're fairly moderated, so I don't mind heated debate.
But that's not what I go to Ravelry for.

ArtLady1981
09-03-2009, 07:05 AM
I've only had one bad experience at Rav...that was in the AMERICAN IDOL FAN CLUB. A newly appointed moderator was the most outrageous FUSS-POT I've ever seen. He would correct anything and everything.

Every thread was jam-packed with his "corrective" posts!
Everyone was on his radar. And I mean within a week!

Finally, he was demoted. The admin for the Group was forced to. The group was in chaos. Before this mod, the group was having a high ole time talkin' about this singer and that singer!

BTW, let it be known, this fuss-pot moderator wasn't even really a knitter. Nothin' but a couple of pathetic pot holders in his knitting folder. It was obvious to me, he joined Ravelry to trounce on folks.

The guy also has a blog. His life in general is a train wreck.

But since this episode, even with him tossed out...I un-joined the group and will not join any further non-knitting related groups.

Over at Rav, I keep a low profile. Don't voice any opinions.
Who in the heck cares what I think anyway? I just try to be encouraging to others. I've made some really good friends, and I correspond with just one on a regular basis. We've worked several KALS together.

You can get a lot of GOOD out of Rav if you use it right.

Arielluria
09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
I started that group, then left after I no longer watched the show. LOL. I wasn't there for his 'corrections'. People should lighten up!

ArtLady1981
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Oh yeah, you really missed out on all the FUN! Seriously, I've never EVER run into such a miserable person. He trounced anything and everything. It was a nightmare for the current admin, and she is a lovely, reasonable, kind person! Oy! What a can of worms he created out of thin air!

GinnyG
09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I've noticed that the crakiest ravelers are often the ones who seem to knit the least (as evidenced by their projects file-which may or may not be an accurate assessment). Moral is- they need to KNIT more and POST less :-)

melmac51
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Knitting would most probably relax them, and then they wouldn't feel the need to lash out at people. OHHHMMMMMM....:teehee:

ArtLady1981
09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Moral is- they need to KNIT more and POST less :-)

Amen. Sister! Amen! :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I have been fortunate in the groups I have joined at Ravelry. I didn't use Rav much until this summer when the spinning bug bit me big time. I've joined half a dozen spinning groups and have spent most of my free time there. I have found the folks to be as friendly and helpful as all the wonderful people here. I do find them to be a little more clannish in a few groups. I think since they all know each other in real life like Tsock Tsarina, Abby and a number of others all well immersed in the fiber world. They are all willing to answer questions over and over for the newbies who stumble in.
The sense of community that KH has though I don't think can be duplicated. I may have wandered off for a while learning new things but I find myself coming "home" to KH for friendship.:grphug:

Crycket
09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I've noticed that the crakiest ravelers are often the ones who seem to knit the least (as evidenced by their projects file-which may or may not be an accurate assessment). Moral is- they need to KNIT more and POST less :-)

In some ppls defense...some haven't figured out how to post pics, and therefore don't have any listings...but we are not talking about those ppl. They probably couldnt' find their way on to a forum anyway...

Yeah...you have a point...There must be a number of ppl there just to stir the pot....and I find that weird...are there really that many lonely sad ppl out there that they have to troll forums of places they don't even have an interest in to get some attention? Wow....

Arielluria
09-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I've noticed that the crakiest ravelers are often the ones who seem to knit the least (as evidenced by their projects file-which may or may not be an accurate assessment). Moral is- they need to KNIT more and POST less :-)Great observation! I believe you are right!

Quiltlady
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I've noticed especially on some of the "political" groups it can get very mean. So I do stay away from those.

knitfan
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I would tend to agree with you, Ginny, regarding the lack of pics showing evidence of knitting, but I myself do not have any pics in mine because I have ancient computer equiment and no way to put pics up.

Becky Morgan
09-19-2009, 10:25 PM

I knit waaaay too much, but have no pictures or projects on Ravelry because I don't have the time to update every time I finish another hat/pair of mittens or slippers/lap robe. I'd spend all my time updating and none knitting.

GinnyG
09-20-2009, 08:23 AM
I knit waaaay too much, but have no pictures or projects on Ravelry because I don't have the time to update every time I finish another hat/pair of mittens or slippers/lap robe. I'd spend all my time updating and none knitting.

But my guess is that you aren't a snarkey raveler either. My analogy was not that people who don't post fo's are snarkey but that people who have the time to be forever critical and mean need to spend more time knitting and less time posting.

rachael72knitter
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM

I was the same way. I rarely posted my FO's b/c I considered it to be too much work, but then Ravelry snarkiness hit, and I started to.

There was a thread where the OP complained about people not contributing in the projects section. A lot of people chimed in, and I thought I was breaking some unspoken Ravelry protocol.

It is dumb though, because now I post them, and it doesn't seem to help much. It isn't like I get a ton of views, and I feel my pics pale in comparison to the photos others take and publish. I guess they have photo skills I don't have.

It is nice to have the pictures though. I am sure years from now, without them, I wouldn't remember what I have knitted and haven't.

rachael72knitter
09-27-2009, 08:17 AM
OMG I have experienced the snarkiness firsthand and Wow. . .just simply wow.

I started a group for primary grade teachers and was feeling pretty good about it. I have some members already.

Then some person, who didn't join the group, and isn't even a teacher posted a thread-

"Whoever wrote the BOLDFACE tag at the top of your group page needs to go back to Freshman ENG 100. It is not a properly constructed sentence."

I was shocked. I reread it, and knew I had two errors; for instance "that knit" instead of "whom knits"... but I didn't change it because I wasn't positive. Also, I knew I ended a sentence with a preposition, but sometimes it is damn hard to construct the sentence without the preposition at the end.

Was this necessary? I mean, considering this is not a teacher or member, the only thing I can think is this person trolls Ravelry for new groups so they can be insulting. Couldn't they have just sent me a pm and make suggestions instead of calling me out so rudely. . .if bad grammar is such a thorn in their side?

I posted back to the person. . .and think maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe not, becuase now I have drama on my new group with all of four threads and 13 members.

Here is what I responded-

"I will go back and edit for grammar. Not a problem.

Can I ask why you didnít just send me a PM making these suggestions? Were my crimes of bad grammar so heinous that you felt it appropriate to start a thread and publicly call me out?

Please- knit more, and troll for grammar less. It might make you a nicer person."

I took out the "go take your bloodpressure medicine since posts on the internet cause you to go into a tailspin." I am trying to be the better person. I guess that last comment about not trolling for grammar doesn't.

Sheez- way to take the wind out of my sails. I am seriously questioning whether I want to be on Ravelry anymore, but it is such a helpful site with patterns/projects.

Arielluria
09-27-2009, 09:16 AM
You did the right thing. Don't they have a block person button now? I just looked and could find one, I just KNOW I saw something about that sometimes I need those on my groups too!

rachael72knitter
09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
You did the right thing. Don't they have a block person button now? I just looked and could find one, I just KNOW I saw something about that sometimes I need those on my groups too!

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I know I shouldn't let it get to me.

I tried to do a block, but it is for members. I don't think I can block a guest.

gingerbread
09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I was reading your post and don't they have a setting that if you are
not a member that you can't post button. Or something like that
It is to bad that some people are like that.

Arielluria
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I know I shouldn't let it get to me.That's exactly what that type wants, so DON'T give them the satisfaction!
:waving:

Lucy78green
09-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Whenever I was 19 and was first on the internet I used to take things like that to heart all the time and get really upset, but now I shrug it off, some people have no lives!

Mike
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I would've replied back with many obviously intentional errors.
But telling them to knit more and troll less was good.

jdee
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't know if ya'll have been back to Ravelry since this thread was started, but the creators of Raverly must have noticed the nastiness as well, because they closed down the forum that seemed to be a magnet for all this negativity. They've reopened it with new rules, and it seem much more pleasant.

rachael72knitter
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't know if ya'll have been back to Ravelry since this thread was started, but the creators of Raverly must have noticed the nastiness as well, because they closed down the forum that seemed to be a magnet for all this negativity. They've reopened it with new rules, and it seem much more pleasant.

Yes I noticed. They are finally moderating.

jdee
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
The saddest thing is that they have to. Why can't grown up, adult people play nice?

rachael72knitter
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
The saddest thing is that they have to. Why can't grown up, adult people play nice?

I really don't see the level of snarkiness that is Ravelry on other forums. I really don't.

jdee
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I never have either. I don't know what the problem is. :??

pinksugar
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I've noticed the snark too, as well as the moderation attempts. I follow the advice my mother gave me when I was little: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

GinnyG
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I thought shutting down Remnents for a few days was a great idea, whether it improves things is yet to be seen.

I have stayed with "knitting" threads and done my best to stay away from controversial subjects and general posts but it's like an auto accident, sometimes you just can't tear your eyes from it!!

I originally thought the "tone" on Ravelry was because of the HUGE volume of people but if you skim through the controversial posts you'll find many of the same posters time and again becoming embroiled in controversial and unkind comments.

So I'm trying to knit more, read less and just WALK AWAY from stupid comments.