PDA

View Full Version : Casting Off -- the novel by Nicole Dickson

christine
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Just finished this book and loved it. If you haven't picked it up yet, do so. Here is a the description from Barnes and Noble:
On a tiny island off the west coast of Ireland, the fishermen's handmade sweaters tell a story. Each is unique—feelings stitched into rows, memories into patterns.

It is here that Rebecca Moray comes to research a book on Irish knitting. With her daughter, Rowan, accompanying her, she hopes to lose herself in the history of the island and forget her own painful past. Soon, the townsfolk's warm embrace wraps Rebecca and Rowan in a world of friendship, laughter, and love.

And it is here that young Rowan befriends Sean Morahan, a cantankerous old fisherman, despite his attempts to scare her off. As Rebecca watches her daughter interact with Morahan, she recognizes in his eyes a look that speaks of a dark knowledge not unlike her own. And when current storms threaten to resurrect old ones, Morahan and Rebecca find themselves on a collision course—with Rowan caught between them—each buffeted by waves of regret and recrimination. Only by walking headfirst into the winds will they find the faith to forgive without forgetting...and reach the shore.</B>
Each chapter begins with a quote. Here's the first one.
Garter. 1. The simplest pattern, created by knitting or purling every row, never mixing the two. 2. Doing the same thing over and over again, making progress in time, but never moving forward in spirit.
Do you want to read it yet?
Christine

“May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may you cast off who you are to become who you might be.”
The Blessing of Sean Morahan

Debkcs
08-25-2009, 04:11 AM
I'm 132 out of 245 on Paper Back Swap,so it'll be awhile.

Thanks for clueing me in a bit more.

margz3
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Sounds great, thanks! Off to check my library's website to see if they have it :)

christine
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Tell me more about book swap.

I don't think I would wait so long for a book.

Jan in CA
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
My library doesn't have it, but I'll add it to my wishlist. :thumbsup:

krismorales
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the book info. I just bought it for my Kindle. I'm going on vacation in 1 1/2 weeks and so I added to my list of books I can read while I'm traveling. :inlove:

GinnyG
09-17-2009, 05:52 AM
I just bought the audio book to take on vaykay, and I LEAVE TODAY:cheering: