PDA

View Full Version : Two strands of worsted for felting...

ZoeS
08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I would like to make a felted knitting needle case. I don't have any bulk wool and I'd like something that knits up quite quickly. I do have lots of worsted wool; horrid, scratchy stuff that I will never use for anything else. Can I use a double strand of worsted so it knits up quickly? If so, what size needle should I use - the recommended size, or a few sizes bigger?
Or will a double strand somehow mess up the felting process?

Thanks!

Zoe

Debbie
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Double strand will work just fine. I use an 11 or 13 when felting two strands of worsted. If you are using a pattern that calls for bulky, go ahead and use the needle size it calls for. REMEMBER ... when you felt your project will shrink MORE length wise than width, if you are making up the pattern. If you are using a pattern that should already be "built in".

ZoeS
08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Debbie! I'm following a pattern, so I should be okay in that respect. Can I use three stands? Or is that just lunacy?

:)

Zoe

Debbie
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Zoe, if you are following a pattern, using three strands will just make the felted material thicker. It won't make the knitting go any faster cuz you will still be knitting the same number of stitches :) Two different colors together make some really pretty "felt". This was made with dark pink and gray together.

ZoeS
08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Makes sense :)

Thanks!

Zoe