PDA

View Full Version : I need a very basic dishcloth pattern for a 10yr old

Nanaof6
08-29-2009, 02:31 PM
My GS who is 10 likes to crochet and is spendinf the night tonight so that Nana can show him how to Knit:thumbsup:

He wants to make a dishcloth. But I am looking for the bare bones very easy way to show him. I don't want to teach him the yo yet as in the diagonal dishcloth. I need to find something that will teach him to cast on and just knit and turn and knit until bo.

I thought about just teaching him how to co and then just work in garter sts . If I did how many co sts should I have him do? and should I have him sl the first st? or not?

He really wants to make himself socks.

He'll be here soon, please if you can help with any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Jan in CA
08-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I think about 45 stitches would probably work for a simple dishcloth in garter stitch. :thumbsup:

Oh look I found a pattern for a basic dishcloth in garter.
http://myjewelthief.typepad.com/myjewelthief_knits/2007/10/plain-ole-garte.html

SheWolfDanielle
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Try testing the yarn and needles you'll let him use. Cast on, say, 10 stitches, and knit several rows (5 or so) to get a good feel for the tension. Then measure the work, and use the number of stitches you get and how long it is for your guage.

[(# of stitches cast on)/(inches of test piece)] x desired number of inches.

In other words, something like this... here's an example:

You casted on 10 stitches and knitted them.
The piece measured 2 inches.
You want a 6 inch by 6 inch dishcloth.

So use your guage (10 stitches per 2 inches), and multiply it by your desired length (6 inches) to get the right number of stitches.

(10stitches/2in) x 6in = 5 stitches/in x 6in = 30 stitches.

Jaxhil
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
That's what my 9yo dson is working on now, as a gift for his grandma! Its just garter stitch, and he is enjoying it-although it's rather slow-going :teehee:

So how did the lesson go?