PDA

View Full Version : Shandeh's Bernat Cape KAL

Shandeh
08-31-2009, 02:46 AM
As some of you know, I'm going to be blogging for the Bernat yarn company, starting in October. I'm really excited about it!

Anyway, the first project I've chosen to make is the Side Button Hooded Cape - a free pattern on their website. You have to sign in to the Bernat site see the pattern.
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4079

I would love it if some of you would join me in making the cape. It's a nice, easy knitting project with chunky yarn, so it should go quickly. When we finish, we will all have a nice accessory for our Fall wardrobe! :thumbsup:

purlingkitten
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
It lokks like a fun project. I'll join the knit-along.

Shandeh
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Yay! Thanks for joining me!

I'm making the size 2X cape, so I'm using about 10 skeins of yarn. So far, I've finished all of one skein, and was able to knit about 9 inches of the back of the cape.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3872997799_ab33f8d19e.jpg

I'm using the new color of Bernat Softee Chunky, called "Fern". I think it will go well with the rest of my clothes.

sgtpam
09-07-2009, 01:02 AM
:woot: I'm so excited! I just finished the back side. It took all but a few inches of 4 skeins. I'll admit, I got a little nervous getting so close to the end of that last skein. But, I had just enought to finish. This is my first attempt knitting something to wear other than a scarf or hat.

I'm ready to start the front piece. I didn't have any Bernat yarn...so, I'm using Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds...Earthy Brown. :knitting:

Shandeh
09-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Go PAM!!!! :cheering:
You are MUCH faster than me. I've done 13 inches on the back. I really like the look of it, don't you?

I'm a slow knitter, and I'm making a size 2X. So, I guess that's why I'm so far behind you.

Shandeh
09-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Here's the latest photo of my work so far:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3890807589_184631451f.jpg

Woodi
09-07-2009, 08:27 AM
That looks like an ambitious project, but if I were to wear this, I'd look like one giant potato in a sack!

Have fun with it, and I will watch your progress. I'd like to see how you look in it, Shandeh. Will you model for us? If you can manage to look good in it, I may consider knitting one up.

sgtpam
09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Go PAM!!!! :cheering:
You are MUCH faster than me. I've done 13 inches on the back. I really like the look of it, don't you?

I'm a slow knitter, and I'm making a size 2X. So, I guess that's why I'm so far behind you.

I doubt I'm faster...I just have no life:teehee: :knitting:

I'm not doing any "labor" this weekend...just knitting! I only have my cell phone for pictures...but, here it is. The first is the "shape shoulders" part of the pattern and the last one is the yarn left...talk about cutting it close!

Shandeh
09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Have fun with it, and I will watch your progress. I'd like to see how you look in it, Shandeh. Will you model for us? If you can manage to look good in it, I may consider knitting one up.
I'll be happy to model it! :thumbsup: Keep posted for future photos.

I doubt I'm faster...I just have no life:teehee: :knitting: I'm not doing any "labor" this weekend...just knitting! I only have my cell phone for pictures...but, here it is. The first is the "shape shoulders" part of the pattern and the last one is the yarn left...talk about cutting it close!
Your photo is invisible! :roflhard:

sgtpam
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
:?? I couldn't figure out how to add the pictures in the edit...oh, well.

Shandeh
09-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Yay! :cheering:
I love the yarn you chose. Tweed is IN right now!
(I think it's ALWAYS in, though....classic tweed is nice.) :inlove:

sgtpam
09-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I’m not there yet, but I wanted to catch you before you get to where my possible trouble spot is. :think:

Ok…I think I get this part:knitting:
"Shape neck: Next row: (RS). Pat across 47 (55-64) sts. Cast off center st. Pat to end of row." I'm stopping at the center, binding off one stitch, turning and knitting in pattern up to the shoulder shaping. My confusion comes next. :???:
"Cont even in pat on last 47 (55-64) sts until same length as Back to beg of shoulder shaping, ending with a RS row."
Sooooo, I’m only finishing one side of the front for now up to the shoulder, right?:??

I’m definitely going to need some help once we get to the end of the shoulder shaping step where we start working the other shoulder…”With WS facing, join yarn to rem 47 (55-64) sts. Work to correspond to other side, reversing all shaping”. :whoosh:
I’ve never done that, but I bet I could follow one of your awesome video instructions.Crossed Fingers

I brought this up here instead of on the Ravelry KAL since I spend more time here…but, our other KALer over there might need it, too.

Shandeh
09-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, it sounds like Greek to me right now too.
It will probably make sense when we get to that point, and see the stitches forming in front of us. I'll have the video camera ready when I get there. :)

yarncharmer
09-23-2009, 08:55 AM
How are you liking the Bernat yarn, Sandy? I was thinking of using it for a sweater coat, and I was curious if you're liking the way it is knitting up.

Shandeh
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm loving it for this project. I had tried the same yarn before, and it was painful on my hands. I think the needles were too small that time. But, with this cape, the needles are just right for the yarn.

The Softee Chunky is a lightweight yarn, even though it's chunky in size. So, the cape will keep me warm, but it won't weigh me down.

Now, if you want a heavy yarn for your coat, you won't like the Softee Chunky. So, just compare it when you're shopping to make your decision.

yarncharmer
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the input... I just decided a little while ago that I'm not going to make the coat after all - I know myself, and I know it would be too much endless knitting, for me, and I'd never get it done. But I think I'm going to use the Softee Chunky for a vest instead (and take back all the extra to Michael's tomorrow) :cool:

Shandeh
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey, no problem, my friend. Make what you want to make, and love your knitting every step of the way. It's what I do! :)
:muah:

sgtpam
09-25-2009, 08:28 PM
:knitting: :knitting:
Just finished 10 inches...I'll wait when I get to "Shape neck:" so we can do it "together"...I may need moral support/helping hand:teehee:

Shandeh
09-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Just finished 10 inches...I'll wait when I get to "Shape neck:" so we can do it "together".
No way!!! :noway: You are a SPEED DEMON!!
You have just left me in the dust again.

But, it's understandable, I guess. I've been down on my back for the past week, laying on an ice pack. I went to the doctor today, and am taking 3 prescriptions that make me sleepy. So, maybe I can catch up with you next week. Crossed Fingers

sgtpam
09-25-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm really just being lazy...it's such a nice, easy pattern and I love the feel of this yarn. I have a few other things I should get started...but, haven't felt like starting any more challenging projects.:hiding:

I'm sorry you're hurting. Feel better :pray: :hug:

Shandeh
09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks pam! :hug:

sgtpam
10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Sandy...hope you're feeling better. :hug:

I'm ready..but, I've read the next step, "Shape neck" ten times and I still don't get it.......:??

Let me know when you've figure it out:???:

Shandeh
10-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi Pam! :waving:

I KNEW you would beat me there! :teehee:

It doesn't look too bad, but I might feel differently when I actually get to that spot. Let me finish a few more inches, so I can catch up with you and we'll do the neck shaping together.
:hug:

Shandeh
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Here's the latest photo of my cape. I've finished the back, and am past the halfway point on the front.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/3983151179_2ebcc13681.jpg

sgtpam
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Pam! :waving:

I KNEW you would beat me there! :teehee:

It doesn't look too bad, but I might feel differently when I actually get to that spot. Let me finish a few more inches, so I can catch up with you and we'll do the neck shaping together.

Don't hurry on my account :hug: ...I have other things going, and I KNOW how busy you are!:thud: I get tired just reading about all of your WIPs!:notworthy:

Shandeh
10-08-2009, 03:47 AM
OK Pam, I've finally caught up with you.

I've decided to do the shaping at the front all at once, instead of one side at a time, the way they suggest.

After knitting half the stitches, you cast off the middle stitch, and finish the row. Then, they tell you to work on the first half of the stitches, going back and forth until it's as long as the back section (up to the decrease sections). Then, you do decreasing on the edge, so it matches the decreasing you did on the back.

Instead of just doing the first half, I'm doing both halves at the same time, using two skeins of yarn.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3499/3991309969_4d8e490232.jpg

Here's a closer view of the spot where they separate:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/3992068198_7203c386b9.jpg

When it comes time to do the decreasing, I'll be casting off stitches at both ends, so the shaping will match exactly. The front should look exactly like the back when the shaping is done.

I hope this helps you understand it better. If not, just let me know. I can explain it to you the way they suggest, one side at a time, if you want.

sgtpam
10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm with you...I like your idea. So, I did the b/o row and I'm ready to go back with the K,P row. Let me think this out. :think:

I do K,P and end with a knit then I drop the yarn I've been using and start with a knit stitch with the new skein...right?

sgtpam
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm stuck :wall: Nope...I don't get it. I got to where they separate, do I need another needle? or a second cable?

Shandeh
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I do K,P and end with a knit then I drop the yarn I've been using and start with a knit stitch with the new skein...right?
Exactly! You'll start each section with a knit stitch. :thumbsup:

I'm stuck :wall: Nope...I don't get it. I got to where they separate, do I need another needle? or a second cable?
Just keep it all on the same needle, and change yarns at the separation. You can do it! Don't give up! :hug:

I made a couple videos that might help.

Starting the Two Sections of the Cape Front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQU1Ddq1_nw

Knitting a Wrong Side Row of the Cape Front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAECUTUKvKM

When you get to the other section, just drop the old yarn, and pick up the yarn from the other skein, and keep going.

sgtpam
10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
:woot: :happydance: :woot: That did it! Moving right along again. You Rock!:hug:

Shandeh
10-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Yay!
Now when you get to the decreasing part, just follow the directions for the back. When you finish, you'll have 1 less stitch left over than the directions mention, because you cast off that one stitch earlier.

sgtpam
10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
OK...I’m ready for the decreases on the front to shape the shoulder. How come we ended the back on the WS (2d row of the pattern) and now it wants us to end with a RS row? Am I missing something…or is this just a case of “trust the pattern”?:??

Shandeh
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I think it's designed that way, so that it will be easy to start knitting the hood when you finish knitting your sections. They probably have it end on a different row, so the live stitches will be open at the correct sides. Who knows? I'm not a professional knitting designer, so I'm just guessing here.
I'll catch up with you soon! :knitting:

Would you mind if I mention your name on the Bernat Blog, letting others see your cape? :)

sgtpam
10-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I think it's designed that way, so that it will be easy to start knitting the hood when you finish knitting your sections. They probably have it end on a different row, so the live stitches will be open at the correct sides. Who knows? I'm not a professional knitting designer, so I'm just guessing here.
I'll catch up with you soon! :knitting:

Would you mind if I mention your name on the Bernat Blog, letting others see your cape? :)

Ok...here goes! Sure, you can talk about me... I'm still trying to figure out how to post on the new blog...but, I have been there to read your premier post:notworthy: . The only reason I don't post a lot of pictures is because the only camera I have is on my phone...and it takes a lot of steps to put those on the computer (and, as you've seen...they aren't that good).:teehee:

Shandeh
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I finished my cape today! YIPPEE!!! :woohoo: +

I'll post photos tonight or tomorrow. :)

sgtpam
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I finished my cape today! YIPPEE!!! :woohoo: +

I'll post photos tonight or tomorrow. :)

Yea!!! :thumbsup: I knew you'd get there first. !:cheering:

I have to take a break...I'm ready to sew the shoulders together and I'm not sure how to do that so I'll need some advice when I get back. I'm picking up my sister tomorrow and going to a Christian Women's Conference with my church so I'll check with you next week after I get back.

Good Job!! Can't wait to see! :notworthy:

Shandeh
10-15-2009, 05:22 AM
You can do it, Pam!
I was not that careful with the seaming at the shoulders, because I was in a hurry to get it done, and it looks just fine! I made mine an inch shorter than the directions specified, because I'm a short person (5' 3"). I didn't want it to hang too long, and make me look like a little girl. :teehee:

The thing that really dresses it up, and makes it look finished is the buttons on the side. Makes all the difference in the world.

I found my buttons at Hobby Lobby on clearance! Yay! They are nice, big, wooden buttons too. I also got a big, pretty green button to put at the spot where the neckline separates, just to give it some strength at that spot. It makes it look good too. :)

I put it on last night, and walked down the hall to show it to my hubby. He dropped open his mouth, and said, "Wow! That looks GREAT!" cloud9 Gotta love a hubby that compliments knitting projects. :heart: :heart:

Here are some photos I took last night:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/4013150531_94c7a63626.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/4013916138_4915a22ce3.jpg

With Flash:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2673/4013149827_ff1384359e.jpg

sueko
10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope it's not too late to join...I just saw this and I would love to make it. I think I'll make it in a foresty green colorway. Yahoo, I get to go yarn shopping!

Shandeh
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Hello, sueko! :waving:

Of course you can join! I'll be checking this discussion often, and will be watching your progress. Have fun with the cape.