PDA

View Full Version : Fire near Los Angeles

Jan in CA
09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
We've smelled smoke occasionally, but we are far enough away and the winds aren't blowing this way so it hasn't affect us much in south Orange County. Evona must be choking on smoke!

Here's some photos from the LA Times.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bigpicturefire,0,5985825.htmlstory

evona
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh yeah, we've been choking for days Jan! I've never ever seen it so bad :pout:

I live on the west side of the San Fernando Valley and the fire is clear on the other side. We can see the entire valley floor from our hill and we can actually see the fire - not just smoke but the bright orange and red glow of the actual fire.

My son's GF lives in Tujunga and he got a call yesterday that she and her family were evacuated. I offered them to come over to our house, but so far she has been at another friend's house further away from the fire in Sunland. I was so worried about their house when I heard this morning that a number of Tujunga homes went up. So far they've had no news on their home though. Crossed Fingers

ETA: Just spoke to the mom of my son's GF and last she heard houses 5 blocks from hers were gone, but no word on hers yet :^(

thecatsmother
09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I've been following this on the news it's just devastating....stay safe everyone

stitchabit
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Wow. Thank you for the pictures. Have been hearing about it on the news, but nothing tells the story like those pictures. So sad. Will continue to keep everyone in my prayers.

Knitting_Guy
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm currently on my way to CA but will be in the Northern part and so not near the fires.

I feel for anyway down that way.

evona
09-02-2009, 10:59 PM
OMG I didn't even know this was here and now its being threatened by the Station Fire :sad: I hope it survives cus I'd like to hike up

http://www.sturtevantcamp.org/

Jan in CA
09-03-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm currently on my way to CA but will be in the Northern part and so not near the fires.

I feel for anyway down that way.

There's some fires up there, too. Not as big as down here, but I know there's one in Yosemite and the one in Auburn burned like 60 houses. Hope you don't run into any problems with them!

cindycactus
09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Fires are so terrible. I am glad we "usually" only have hurricanes.:teehee:
Hope Jan and all who live in California are safe. Same for Mason.

Knitting_Guy
09-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Turns out I wound up down in SoCal anyway. Well, Twentynine Palms. Never saw any fires but did see some burnt areas in the Northern part of the state.

Jan in CA
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Bet it's hot in Twentynine Palms! :zombie:

Knitting_Guy
09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Bet it's hot in Twentynine Palms! :zombie:

Yeah it was pretty warm. being from FLA it really didn't bother me much but my co-workers from WI (there was 4 of us there) were suffering a lot. I poked fun at them for complaining about the heat, but that's ok because they poke fun at me for complaining about the WI cold during Winter. :)

evona
09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Well the fire is getting closer and closer to full containment by way of brave firefighters and just sheer lack of fuel by this time. My son's GF's mother e-mailed this to all of us after her evacuation and I am reposting here because I thought it was poignant and anyone who has lived through a disaster will understand (hurricane, earthquake, tornado, fire, etc) and anyone who hasn't I'm sure can empathize:

"Yes, we were evacuated for about 36 hours, but what a process! We ransacked the house for treasure, useful and immediately needed things, and missed half of it. We dumped storage bins so we could use them for stuff we were taking, threw teacups in with the cast iron and sculpy clay kid art. We shoved everything into our cars and the cars of friends who come to help, which all headed in opposite directions with no record of what went where with whom. Glad they’re friends!

I dragged the hose to the rooftop to hose it down. It dried in three minutes, but from this vantage point, I commanded a year's worth of deferred yard work. "Clean out those gutters! Trim those trees away from the house! Move that pile of flammable 'stuff' away from the deck". I missed my calling! Mouths agape, the kids were suddenly capable of amazing feats. Note to self about future chore lists for the spoiled.

I made one last pass though the house... do I really not care about the rest of this stuff? Okay, next week, if this stuff is still here, it’s outta here! Shall I leave the door unlocked for handsome firemen to charge in and save the day, or bar the door against tweakers on Stingrays, looking for loot? We kiss it all good-bye, the 53 trees, the amazing wildlife, my kid’s childhood home, our newly remodeled bathroom, the way-cool basements, the 1920s plaster arches and hardwood floors, the love that has been shared here. Once you leave, they won’t let you back in….

Down the road we go, looking like the Beverly Hillbillies. We off-load our eclectic collection of antiques, photos, camping gear, bills due next week, Christmas ornaments, printers, art and everyday-need-meeters into remote garages, then sleep like Craig's-list trash in never-before visited beds, sofa's and home offices.

We follow the news on the laptop, try to pick up email and check-in on Face book, but only for two hours until the battery runs down. I am cut off listening to the 33 messages on my cell phone as its battery follows suit. God only knows where the power cords are. Hope my friends will still have me after they've witnessed or spoken to my most raw, edgy self. My kids are stuck with me.

The only cure is 'HOME', but upon arriving, the disaster has only just begun. Those indoor ‘preparations’ are all still there, waiting to be undone. Drapes lying across furniture shoved to the middle of the room. The contents of dumped bins are still on the floor. Cupboards and cabinets hang open like tweaker had their way with the left-behind loot. Oh, wait, I did that!

As we unpack we find essential things have been distributed to the hinterlands. We’ve got the sculpy art, but where’s a pot to cook dinner? Got Fifi, but no power cords. We flip on the window air conditioner. It reads ‘check filter’. Same with our lungs. And where’s the maid! Oh, wait, that’s me.

I apologize to the kids for panic under fire, and admonish them they should never act that way, or put up with anyone who does. They respond, “What choice did we have?” I’ll come up with a wise response after I’ve had some time to rationalize and frame myself anew. Candid self-examination and exuberant remorse should do the trick.

We clean the porch for the new staging area, put the living room back in order and reclaim square footage one square at a time. Friends arrive with our junk, I mean treasure. I saved THAT?!! We make plans to retrieve our life from distant garages. Things will be back to normal soon.

As the drone of helicopters fades into parts the Angeles National Forest still ablaze, and the air makes minute improvements each passing hour, we are sobered by the news of friends who lost everything but their lives. Our forest ecosystem has been transformed from its full-hilt glory into the secret potential known only to scant survivors, potash and the seeds of fire-followers. Nature is reducing, reusing, and recycling at the bottom of the food chain, and causing us to re-think everything. We look forward to spring."