PDA

View Full Version : Help With A Pattern!

merryknitter
09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I just downloaded Romancing the Rosebud Afghan, by Terry Kimbrough...a friend of mine needed help with the pattern and asked me...LOL! Well, I'm not much help...it just doesn't make any sense to me. You can see a picture of it here!
http://purplekittyyarns.com/print/677

Isn't it just so beautiful? Well, I'm trying to crochet the square with the rosebud, and am having a dickens of a time understanding this pattern. I wonder if there could be an error somewhere.

Am I allowed to share a small portion of it, so someone could help me?

For instance, the picture looks like it is a beautiful little pink rosebud, with a green leaf, sticking out...but when I tried the pattern, the green disappears!

Having only crocheted for about a year, this one is beyond me. I tried to see if anyone has crocheted it on Ravelry, but to no avail!

I would love to help my friend out...so, I'm going to post a little of the pattern...

FIRST VERTICAL STRIP
FIRST SQUARE

CLUSTER (uses one sp)
Ch 4, H YO twice, insert hook in ring, YO and pull
up a loop, (YO and draw through 2 loops on hook)
twice; repeat from H once more, YO and draw
though all 3 loops on hook.

POPCORN

Work 5 tr in ring, drop loop from hook, insert
hook in first tr of 5-tr group, hook dropped loop
and draw through.

With Green, ch 4; join with slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1 (Right side): Work Cluster changing to White
(Fig. 4, page 2), ch 3, drop White, with Pink, ch 1,
work Popcorn in ring, cut Pink, with White, ch 4, 9 dc
in ring, ch 1, dc in top of Cluster to form last ch-4 sp:
3 ch-4 sps and 9 dc.

Note: Loop a short piece of yarn around any stitch to
mark Rnd 1 as right side.

Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc, now and
throughout), 3 dc in same sp, 5 dc in each of next
2 ch-4 sps, dc in next 9 dc and in same sp as first dc;
join with slip st to first dc: 24 dc.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st, hdc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2,
2 dc) in next dc, hdc in next dc, H sc in next 3 dc, hdc
in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next dc, hdc in next dc;
repeat from H 2 times more, sc in last 2 dc; join with
slip st to first sc: 36 sts and 4 ch-2 sps.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st, ch 5, skip next hdc, sc
in next dc, ch 5, skip next dc, (sc, ch 7, sc) in next
corner ch-2 sp, place marker around ch-7 just made for
next Square joining, ch 5, skip next dc, (sc in next st,
ch 5, skip next st) 4 times, (sc, ch 7, sc) in next corner
ch-2 sp, place marker around ch-7 just made for next
Strip joining, ch 5, H skip next dc, (sc in next st, ch
5, skip next st) 4 times, (sc, ch 7, sc) in next corner
ch-2 sp, ch 5; repeat from H once more, skip next dc,
(sc in next st, ch 5, skip next st) twice; join with slip st to
first sc, finish off: 24 sps.

I just can't figure out how you get a green leaf out of 4 chains!
Thanks,
Merry :)

MGM
09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey Merry, I would be happy to see about working this pattern out for you. The only problem is that I don't know when I'll be able to do it. I've messed up my knee so I'm not able to run up and down the stairs and spend a lot of time in my sewing room. Hopefully it won't be long before I can do some videos and other fun stuff, but I can't guarantee anything.

It's nice that your friend asked you for help! That sure says something about your crocheting!

Take care,
MGM

merryknitter
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh Mary Grace!
I will be praying for your knee and a quick recovery. Well...one thing is for sure...I just can't quit, until I get it figured out...it may take a while, but I'll get it.

I did send a message to someone on Ravelry and she wrote me back....one thing she said, is that at the beginning of the pattern, where it says to work cluster....she said that the cluster is in green...so, I am going to give that a try and see what happens!

You've got to get back to that sewing room...LOL! Can you work on your lace shawl, while you recover? I sure pray so!
Sending hugs and prayers your way...I'll keep you posted on my progress!
God Bless You,

merryknitter
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks to Marseille, from Ravelry, I now have a leaf, a rosebud, and a pretty white square!

When I read round 1, I thought it meant to crochet that cluster in white...sometimes crochet patterns can be hard to understand...I'm sure it's my inexperience, but it could have been written, for instance, continuing with green, work cluster! That would have made sense to me..LOL!

Anyways, I was able to help my friend...it's so cool that so many are willing to help you...like our Mary Grace...I know she would have made one of her videos to help me too!

Merry, one happy crocheter!

OffJumpsJack
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
CLUSTER (uses one sp)
twice; repeat from H once more, YO and draw

POPCORN

Work 5 tr in ring, drop loop from hook, insert
hook in first tr of 5-tr group, hook dropped loop
and draw through.

With Green, ch 4; join with slip st to form a ring.

Rnd 1 (Right side): Work Cluster changing to White
(Fig. 4, page 2), ch 3, drop White, with Pink, ch 1,
work Popcorn in ring, cut Pink, with White, ch 4, 9 dc
in ring, ch 1, dc in top of Cluster to form last ch-4 sp:
3 ch-4 sps and 9 dc.

I just can't figure out how you get a green leaf out of 4 chains!
Thanks,

Merry, glad you found some help. I think I would have put a common after the word "Cluster," but with crochet a color change is done with the last YO drawn through the previous stitch.

I would have liked to seen figure 4 on page 2 to confirm that the author followed that common practice. There are many color changes with few stitches in between.

I prefer when complex stitches are first given in the pattern in full and then named rather than naming them before the pattern begins and then expecting the reader to either remember them step by step or cause one to refer back to the prefixed instructions and then possibly loosing one's place in the pattern. :roll:

Here is how I would incorporate the "changing to white" into the stitch they named "CLUSTER."

CLUSTER (uses one sp) [With current color.]
twice; repeat from H once more, ["changing to white"]YO and draw

That is how I would interpret the instructions and so I guess that is why there was not a comma between "cluster" and "changing to white." They assumed the reader would know when to change color during a complex stitch.

Patterns like this one is are one reason I like crochet symbol graphs. Those pictures are truly worth 1000 words.

PamJ
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
So glad you got some help! I must say that is one gorgeous afghan! One question that's probably silly...are the roses flat or raised?

merryknitter
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Pam...the little rosebud is raised! My friend is making this for her Mom...so glad I could help a little!