PDA

View Full Version : New Knitter, Sorta

mamasita53
09-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I guess you could say I'm not really a new knitter, I've knitted shawls, scarves and baby blankets for a couple of years. But, I'm tired of that and branching out. I found a baby bootie pattern I would like to try to knit, but I'm puzzled about one row. It says " work slip slip knit decrease, knit 1, knit 2 together 4 times" My question is what's the difference between the ssk and the k2tog? Can I just do the k2tog for both or does it make a difference? I have a book that shows the ssk so I'm sure I can follow the directions, but I really would prefer to do the k2tog. Thanks, in advance for your help!

dustinac
09-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Welcome to KH!!

SSK is a left slanting decrease and then the K2 tog is a right slanting decrease so it will look different. Amy has a video here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases) of how to do the SSK decrease :thumbsup:

suzeeq
09-07-2009, 09:19 AM
The ssk is also the same as slip 1, knit 1, psso decrease, it's just done a little differently and some people find one easier to do than the other.

sandy57th
09-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually, the SSK and SK PSSO decreases look a little different from each other, but both slant differently from the K2tog. Try both and see which you like better.

suzeeq
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
In my knitting ssk and skp look the same, but for some people, one may be tighter than the other.