PDA

View Full Version : Losing Job...

Crycket
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello all

I just wanted to let you all know I am being made redundant...*sigh*

And I blame UPS. My job shipping things with Canada Post, is being moved to the US cause UPS offered our company a "better deal"

I have had a huge beef with UPS for ages now...stuff going from the US to Canada...I have been slammed too many times with their $40 brokerage charges. So I started boycotting them....

Now...they are taking my job away...

So...as much as I am telling you this sad tale of woe...I am also encouraging ppl to not use UPS. (no offense meant to anyone out there who actually works for UPS...I personally have had too many bad experiences...and this one takes the cake)

Thanks for Listening....*sniff*

Jan in CA
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry you're losing your job. :hug:

evona
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I am very sorry that you're losing your job. I'll send good thoughts for a speedy and prosperous job hunt :hug:

auburnchick
09-09-2009, 11:43 PM
:hug:

I've been laid off twice since last October. It stinks.

Crycket
09-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank you for the hugs....I feel like I really need them right now...

You know...for 10 years I worked at a theatre...and every now and again...we would get laid off...no problem...we knew we would get called back...

This feels so...*sigh* I mean...I didn't do anything wrong...I kinda feel...like I am being punished for doing a good job....

And there is no call back...this is it.

This year really has been a ride. Leaving the theatre, getting married....moving to a new city...finding a new job (with yarn!!)...and losing it...I will keep my fingers crossed that the next turn on this crazy ride is an up....with lots of level to follow.

It hurts...but I think it is life telling me I was not where I was supposed to be....that there is something better out there for me...

cftwo
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry you've lost your job, Cryket, and hope an even better one falls into your lap soon.

saracidaltendencies
09-10-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm so sorry to hear you're losing your job...But, look at it this way, there are so many possibilities...I'm not one to believe everything happens for a reason, but, I know things have a way of working themselves out and many times it just so happens that when one door closes, the next door you open holds something even better. I can totally understand the upset, frustration, and hurt feelings but try to look at this as an opportunity for something better that you may not have had if you were still working for Canada Post. :hug:

Sunshine's Mom
09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
:hug: I'm sure you'll find a new and better position soon. Chin up!

auburnchick
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
This feels so...*sigh* I mean...I didn't do anything wrong...I kinda feel...like I am being punished for doing a good job....

It hurts...but I think it is life telling me I was not where I was supposed to be....that there is something better out there for me...

I understand how you feel like you're being punished. Like you, I was doing a good job where I worked before. You just have to keep telling yourself that it's because of the economy, which also led to my layoff.

I want to encourage you, though, by saying that you were EXACTLY where you were supposed to be.

God has a plan for every single person's life, and nothing happens without His allowing it. A lot of people would get mad at that statement, but for me, it's comforting to know that there is a "grand plan."

I'll venture to bet that you developed unique skills at each job you've held. You've touched many lives and been touched by many as well.

There's no telling how something you said to someone or maybe a hug you gave caused them to smile.

Who knows what's in store next. There's no guarantee that it will be better.

What you can be sure of is that you'll be EXACTLY where you're supposed to be...for the time being.

Have a good, long cry, eat a pile of your favorite food, and do something mindless for a day.

Then, file for unemployment and get busy looking for a job. You're going to be just fine.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Crycket
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
yes...

I have a few weeks still...it is impending...but a certain impending...

Things do work themselves out...and I have not ever had a problem finding something before, and everyone I have ever worked with has nothing but AWESOME things to say about working with me...so I am confident there is something with my name on it out there...

It is the limbo and waiting that kinda suck....I will take it as a sign to slow down and knit more....*smiles*

mks22300
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
:hug: I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

margz3
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh, Cryket - I feel for you! In a similar boat (that's a post for tomorrow :P) Wishing you the best of luck in finding a new job and moving forward to bigger and better things!

jcicada
09-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope all good things come your way. One thing I learned from my last job is to collect all those resumes as folks do move on. Hard copy references in hand got me my job when I enclosed them with the job application.

Think positive. Good luck!!!

Debkcs
09-12-2009, 03:08 AM
So many are going through this right now, sorry that you're one of them.

Crycket
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Damn economy....

Jeremy
09-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm really sorry you lost your job. I hope good things come your way.:hug:

dustinac
09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
:hug::heart::hug:

VictoiseC
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry for your pain Crycket. Bummer big time. My husband and I are going through the limbo you so well describe. That is the hardest part, so far anyhow. My husband's company just closed so we are kind of in shock. I used to be in the theater and I'm considering going back. Not that there's a lot of $$$ there! Have you looked around for that, or aren't there many theaters where you are?

I wonder if there's a forum around here for people who are freaking out do to loss of work! I (and my husband even moreso) need some kind of support group because the days are getting strange.

Well, good luck and keep us posted.

Crycket
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I miss working at the theatre...rather aspects of it...

Funny thing is looking back, you remember the good stuff...but not really the stuff that drove you crazy!

No...there are very few theatres up here...and I keep my eye out on the one...but they haven't been hiring yet...

Right now...I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop...I know it is coming...but I just don't know when...my boss figures another week or two....

I will post the WHOLE story as soon as it does though....I have been vague up til now...

melmac51
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
You may be losing your job, but the company that you work for is losing much, much more. They're losing YOU! I'm sure you'll find something even better, but in the meantime, use the time off (if there is any) to regroup, relax, and enjoy it. (Chocolate helps too :))

Crycket
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
You may be losing your job, but the company that you work for is losing much, much more. They're losing YOU! I'm sure you'll find something even better, but in the meantime, use the time off (if there is any) to regroup, relax, and enjoy it. (Chocolate helps too :))

Ah...thanks....*blushes*

I totally see this as an opportunity to fine something better...cause really...there is better out there for me!!!

Oh I can't wait to tell you all who it is....

Ronda
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
:hug: I'm very sorry about your job.

Racerkatie
09-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Cryket,
you mean UPS beat out Canada Post? How'd THAT happen? perhaps I have spent way too much time working in Canada and think Canada Post is keener than it is, but ... bummer! I heard from someone I know at Union Gas a few weeks ago that a couple of the auto plants near Windsor called back third shifts and that the economy seemed to have stopped declining. Hope that is true near Toronto ---- isn't Kitchener near Toronto? -- and that a great new opportunity comes your way.
Racerkatie

Mirl56
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Best of luck in your search for a new and better job--

NikitaShera
10-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your job. I am still looking for work after 2 years being unemployed....

lelvsdgs
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I totally get that feeling when you are laid off through no fault of your own. I've been going through that as well. It got worse when the job came back and they gave it to someone else. But, I've hung in there and am slowly picking up work. Just keep your options open and know that something good is coming your way. It's painful but in the long run, you'll find something better...:muah:

Crycket
10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Cryket,
you mean UPS beat out Canada Post? How'd THAT happen? perhaps I have spent way too much time working in Canada and think Canada Post is keener than it is, but ... bummer! I heard from someone I know at Union Gas a few weeks ago that a couple of the auto plants near Windsor called back third shifts and that the economy seemed to have stopped declining. Hope that is true near Toronto ---- isn't Kitchener near Toronto? -- and that a great new opportunity comes your way.
Racerkatie

Yep....they did...
Thing is...from my prospective...UPS seems to be the Cats Meow in the US. It sucks royal when items are coming from the States to Canada...in many cases you get slammed with a huge brokerage charge. Often it is more than the actual parcel is worth!

In my life outside work....I will go to great lengths not to use the, in fact...I have not bought several items I really want because the sender refuses to ship anything but!

Kitchener is about a 1 hour (1 and a half if you add traffic) drive to Toronto...not really great for commuting. I thought about it when I moved here..cause my job at the theatre paid well. But with gas prices flutuatating sometimes up near the $1.5 range in the past few years...I couldn't justify my time on the road/car maintanence/ parking Downtown and gas to keep going back and forth...it wasn't worth it!

So the last of the story is that my job is in fact gone. They have officially started shipping UPS straight from the US. The retail part of the store has kept me on...which is good. Fewer hours...but it give me the chance to make some money while I look for something else...*sigh*

Silver lining to an otherwise black cloud!

NikitaShera
11-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Its hard to get into Canada Post. How did you manage to get in there if you don't mind me asking?