PDA

View Full Version : Just Checking In

Knitting_Guy
09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Just outside of Nashville tonight and just checking in. Still hanging out, still knitting, and still just being me as best I can.

While my laundry was doing it's thing in the machines today I wandered into a used book store next to the laundrymat and picked up a copy of The New Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes. I've always enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes books and am looking forward to re-reading this one.

Picked up a new hat (like I needed yet another one as I already have a couple dozen or so) the other day, which is depicted in my new avatar pic. It kinda goes with the new (old) look I've adopted. It's the way I used to dress all the time years ago and I've gone back to it. No real reason except that I enjoy looking nice ( as best as an ugly old trucker can) and also get a kick outta breaking the stereotypes and messing with people's heads when I can :rofl:

I've been hoping to run across a brown derby hat of good quality but so far I've had no luck. It's my favorite hat style of them all.

Ok, enough nonsense, basically just letting everyone know I'm still alive and causing trouble where I can. :)

Plantgoddess+
09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Great to hear you're alive and kicking. Great hat!
I just downloaded some Sherlock Holmes on to my MP3 player to listen to while I work outdoors. I just finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days. I just started listening to Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandries by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
Our local library has a good selection of books available for download.

Jan in CA
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Well hi!! You look great in your picture. My DH doesn't own a hat like that, but he likes them.

So what are you knitting? Any new bar/restaurant knitting stories?

bambi
09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey there, Mason!

Nice to see you in the new hat. Looks good on you! Love a good used book store. I was in Crystal Lake, IL outside Chicago this summer, where I used to live 20 yrs ago, and was heartened to see that their used book shop is thriving.

Glad you are still out there and causing trouble when you can. :woohoo: Whatcha knitting?

Knitting_Guy
09-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks folks.

As my Options are out of commission at the moment, at least the long cables are gone, I'm just working on a flat knit moss stitch scarf to occupy my time until I can secure either a new set of circs or new long cables.

Jeremy
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey Mason. Good looking picture. Glad to see you around. Here is a reasonably priced brown derby. Hats in the Belfry is a reputable place with decent stuff. I've bought hats from them before.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/wool-lined-derby-belfry-tammany-hitb.html

busyknitmom
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice to hear from you Mason. My husband is also a hat person, loves different hats. I recently discovered a series by Steve Hockensmith, the first book is called Holmes on the Range. It is NOT Sherlock and Watson in the visiting the west, it is 2 brothers circa 1890s who love the Sherlock stories and start using Sherlock methods to solve mysteries in the Old West. I can't explain it well, but I do recommend the books.

Arielluria
09-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Jget a kick outta breaking the stereotypes and messing with people's heads when I can :rofl:I like the way you think:lol:. Nice to hear from you.

Doublereeder2
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Glad to hear all is well.

My husband loves Sherlock Holmes too. We used to watch the series on PBS as well as read the stories. Great hat - you look marvelous.

And aren't sterotypes meant to be broken? I love your spirit. :note:
Safe travels-

Dimpledapple
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Good to know you're doing well and still causing trouble ;) The hat looks great, by the way!

Jaxhil
09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Mason, great to hear from you!

I just picked up a book from the library called the New Sherlock Holmes(I think!)-it's supposed to be about his childhood. Sherlock Holmes as a boy, in other words. Is that the same book you're talking about? I haven't started it yet, but it looks good.

hope you get your needles fixed/replaced soon-what happened to your Options?

Debkcs
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I was just wondering where you'd gone to, Mason. Yes, the hat looks good on you, I'm old enough to slightly remember when men wore hats most of the time, and sure wish they did more now.

Knitting_Guy
09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey Mason. Good looking picture. Glad to see you around. Here is a reasonably priced brown derby. Hats in the Belfry is a reputable place with decent stuff. I've bought hats from them before.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/wool-lined-derby-belfry-tammany-hitb.html

Thanks. I looked at that one. I prefer satin lined to wool lined, and to be honest the quality of the felt leaves a lot to be desired. I've been communicating with a hattery, with one of the quality that I am seeking, with regard to sizing and pricing. While their's is a bit more expensive than the one you've linked I think it might be more along the lines of what I am really seeking. I'm looking for a hat of high quality and good fit that I can feel good about wearing anywhere I choose to go.

While I have nothing against cheaper hats as I own several myself, the derby I'm looking for needs to be one of high quality as any other would just not quite "cut it".

I agree about that company's quality, I've bought a few hats from them myself and have never had a complaint about them.

Knitting_Guy
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice to hear from you Mason. My husband is also a hat person, loves different hats.
Cool, I have far too many myself. There at least a dozen in my truck at any given time and many more at home. There's just something about a cool, neat looking hat.

I recently discovered a series by Steve Hockensmith, the first book is called Holmes on the Range. It is NOT Sherlock and Watson in the visiting the west, it is 2 brothers circa 1890s who love the Sherlock stories and start using Sherlock methods to solve mysteries in the Old West. I can't explain it well, but I do recommend the books.

Thanks, I've read them. Quite entertaining.

Knitting_Guy
09-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Mason, great to hear from you!

I just picked up a book from the library called the New Sherlock Holmes(I think!)-it's supposed to be about his childhood. Sherlock Holmes as a boy, in other words. Is that the same book you're talking about? I haven't started it yet, but it looks good.

hope you get your needles fixed/replaced soon-what happened to your Options?

Thanks

The one I am currently re-reading is The New Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes. It was the centennial release of a series of stories, in 1987, meant to honor Sir Arthur Conan Doyles' books. The first Sherlock Holmes story was published in 1887 and it was intentionally published as a 100 years honorarium.

I think I've heard of the one you mention, but as I recall it wasn't by Sir Arthur nor was it condoned by his estate, but I could be wrong about that.

jcmom
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey,
Cool hat. How's your sweater coming along or have you finished it? Think it was blue.........

Knitting_Guy
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm old enough to slightly remember when men wore hats most of the time, and sure wish they did more now.

I never go out in public without a hat, and I always observe proper hat etiquette. It's an old fashioned thing, but I do observe it. I think our society could do with a bit more civility.

Drives me nuts to see grown men walking around in public wearing short pants too.

What I can I say? I shoulda been born 100 years or more earlier.

auburnchick
09-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Mason. :waving:

I am pretty sure I have a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories (one large book) somewhere around here. If you're interested, I could mail it to you. I'm sure it would love to see the light of day.

If interested, just send me a PM.

Glad you're doing well. I often think of you while I'm traveling for soccer tournaments. Long hours on the road equals passing (and getting passed by) many big rigs.

:hug:

Knitting_Guy
09-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi Mason. :waving:

I am pretty sure I have a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories (one large book) somewhere around here. If you're interested, I could mail it to you. I'm sure it would love to see the light of day.

If interested, just send me a PM.

Glad you're doing well. I often think of you while I'm traveling for soccer tournaments. Long hours on the road equals passing (and getting passed by) many big rigs.

:hug:

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but am certain that I would already have it in my own collection. To be honest, the one I purchased the other day is one I already have, but at home. I have all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books.

Stay safe on those trips.

evona
09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice to see you checking in. I like your hat :)

cacunn
09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
There's just something about a cool, neat looking hat.

I fully agree and started wearing hat over 30 years ago. At the time I said that I ware hats so that if I fall over while out drinking I know the end with the hat is supposed to get up first.

Just an excuse, to wear a hat. I do not understand the "fashion" of wearing a ball cap inside, especially in restaurants. Just lazy people.

Mommy22alyns
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Man! You're the second person I "know" who was just in Nashville! And nobody comes to see me! *pout* :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
I fully agree and started wearing hat over 30 years ago. At the time I said that I ware hats so that if I fall over while out drinking I know the end with the hat is supposed to get up first.

Just an excuse, to wear a hat. I do not understand the "fashion" of wearing a ball cap inside, especially in restaurants. Just lazy people.

Yep, I feel that a proper hat is a necessary item to being fully dressed. Ball caps are ok if you're playing ball, but otherwise are not acceptable as far as I am concerned.

Good to know I'm not the only dinosaur left on the planet :LOL:

Knitting_Guy
09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Man! You're the second person I "know" who was just in Nashville! And nobody comes to see me! *pout* :teehee:

Awww. Such is the way of things. I would have loved to if things worked out the way we like instead of the way they do.

Jaxhil
09-17-2009, 08:52 AM
You're right, Mason~I looked at the name of the author, and it's by Shane Peacock~and the name of the book is "The Eye of the Crow". At the top of the cover is "The Boy Sherlock Holmes\ His 1st Case".

I've barely started it, I've been very busy with family matters~I will see if I can check the originals out from my library. As much as I love a good mystery, I can't believe I've never read the Sherlock Holmes collection!

melmac51
09-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Good to know I'm not the only dinosaur left on the planet :LOL:

Hey Mason! Quit with the "dinosaur" stuff...some of us here are older than you (we must be fossils ;) )

lelvsdgs
09-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Quite a dashing hat if you ask me! Glad to hear you are safe and sound out there...

cacunn
09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey Mason! Quit with the "dinosaur" stuff...some of us here are older than you (we must be fossils ;) )

Did you know I was part of the team that developed the design specifications for fossils. Before we finished there were no fossils.

Knitting_Guy
09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Did you know I was part of the team that developed the design specifications for fossils. Before we finished there were no fossils.

I was the one that suggested we do them in stone.

Jan in CA
09-26-2009, 12:37 AM

:roflhard: OMG..you two. I know I'm older than Mason, don't know about you, Chris. Never thought about fossils, but I have said I'm older than dirt... and I'm "only" 56. :teehee:

Lucy78green
09-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Saw this on ravelry, the rest of the projects for this pattern are a bit girly, but some of the creations are fantastic!
Top Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kinixys/vivian-hat-4)

lulubell
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Enough of this "ugly old trucker" talk. I've always thought you looked pretty darn handsome!

melmac51
09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: No way!!!

cacunn
09-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Way! And now I are one.

Knitting_Guy
09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
:rofl:

Being a fossil has far more to do with preferences and mannerisms than actual age. But I do feel most days that I probably killed that T-rex I saw in the museum. :)