PDA

View Full Version : Guy knitters

trvvn5
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I was just curious as to how much of a minority I was here. I'm male. I knit. Just wondering how many other guys there are here as well. My sister seems to think that I'm the only guy she knows that knits, but I'm sure she has to know others. There have to be closet male knitters out there somewhere. Not me though. I wear my knits and purls loud and proud.:-P

suzeeq
09-22-2009, 06:54 PM
There's about 5 or 6, or maybe even more guys who knit and post here.

Jan in CA
09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah, lots of male knitters here. Let's see..here's a few active guy knitters.. Mike, OffJumpsJack, Jeremy, AlbertPollard, cacunn, Knitting Guy, MMario, SteveDallas, Braden, and more I can't think of offhand or who aren't as active as others.

There are a couple at my LYS, too.

etoilechaude
09-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm a male knitter :)

From what I understand we have quite a few in the are I live in.

cacunn
09-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Because guys make the better knitters we try to keep a low profile so as not to embarrass the ladies around here. :hiding::out:

WandaT
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Because guys make the better knitters we try to keep a low profile so as not to embarrass the ladies around here. :hiding::out:

:roflhard: Love it!!

cacunn
09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
:roflhard: Love it!!

I have other delusions, did you know that all my double point needles are 20 inches long?

But don't worry, they only let me out once a months so they can clean the padded walls.

:guyknitting:

WandaT
09-23-2009, 10:09 AM

I have other delusions, did you know that all my double point needles are 20 inches long?

But don't worry, they only let me out once a months so they can clean the padded walls.

:guyknitting:

That's ok - as long as they don't let us both out at the same time I think it will work! :)

newamy
09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Then outside of this forum there are well known male knitters such as Jarad Flood. http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/ He is a photographer who knits and just came out with his own book of designs.
And Franklin Habit http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/ the author of It Itches. He also happens to do photography.
Then there is Kaffe Fassett http://www.kaffefassett.com/Home.html who has been knitting and designing for years and years and is well known for his bright use of color.

That's only a few non-closet male knitters that are out there.

OffJumpsJack
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I think Jan got the top ten (most recently active males posting on KH).

Welcome to the club.

MMario
09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I think the number of male "invisible" knitters is much higher then people think. Over at MenWhoKnit you look at profiles and find a lot of guys who have been knittinng 30 or 40 years....but elsewhere I think we 'y' chromosome carriers tend to keep low profiles.

MAmaDawn
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
My favorite LYS is a guy knitter and spinner... he does AMAZING work!

Mike
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Your sister is probably right. Not only am I the only guy I know who knits I'm the only person I know who actively knits.
I know plenty of females who crochet and one other guy who crocheted to quit smoking.

But I'm working on a great niece to get her knitting.

mathwizard
09-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I think the reason you don't hear from male knitters too much is they are the silent minority, lol:chair:. I am not violent but all knitters must hang together regardless of our gender! I do know the men on this group are very nice and I enjoy reading their advice. Keep up the lessons Mike and lets us know how she is doing. Pictures of her knitting projects would be nice.

blueygh2
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
I have been forgotten on the list,...

but then, I'm often mistaken as female, for whatever reason...

Even the lady in the supermarket adressed me at least twice with "miss"

And I'm not THAT effeminate after all...

(Other people also occasionally called me "miss", for whatever reason...)

Jan in CA
09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Oops, sorry! I tried, but new I'd missed some!

Also - If a persons user name doesn't give a clue then I often mistake male and female. I've learned that Avatars lie having made that mistake several times so I don't use that as my guide. You could put something about being a guy in your signature as some of the others do.

ETA: I just noticed in your signature it says "I'm not a miss, I'm a lady"..I get it, but if you're a guy that could be confusing.

Cirrus
09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Our local LYS has a male instructor. Big guy with big hands, but a fine knitter and instructor.

Woodi
09-24-2009, 07:51 PM
My father who is now 83 knits, says he learned when he was in his 20's. Doesn't do anything too difficult though, mostly scarves, bed slippers and dish cloths. I sure do appreciate the gifts he makes for me!

MerigoldinWA
09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
My husband knits a little. He is helping me right now with a little knitting class of 4 kids and 2 grown ups. There are quite a few male knitters on Ravelry. :X:

ckolsen
09-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Men were the first knitters, so knit on with pride! http://www.menknit.net/history.html

We live in an area with several military establishments and the owner of a local yarn shop says they teach lots and lots of military men to knit. It's easy to take overseas and is of course very relaxing.

My husband learned to knit when I did and he has been a tremendous help. We have lots of fun knitting together. He can "see" in his mind where the yarn goes with each stitch whereas I just follow the pattern and enjoy the overall effect.

gman78
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
bumping this thread.
Guy who knits here.
Joined a few years ago while I was teaching myself to knit with the videos available here and SnB.
Been rather hit-or-miss with projects lately, but for me knitting is a seasonal thing done in winter.
I like working with my hands. I just played mechanic and replaced the oil pan on my car and will knit a while to relax a bit.

:thumbsup:

meowmeowmeow
12-17-2009, 07:31 PM

I honestly immediately thought you were a guy when I first saw your avatar then thought you were a woman because of the signature XD I thought, "good thing I didn't call her a dude >_> that could have been awkward"

Anyways, I've been teaching my boyfriend how to knit.At first it was more of a joke, but now he's actually into it.He also has a whole new appreciation for not dropping stitches so he tends to hand me my knitting and move it from place to place with ridiculous attention to care for the live stitches.It's priceless, really. *single tear in eye* He now comes up to me asking to learn new techniques.

There is also a site specifically for male knitters: menwhoknit.com (http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/) I think it's great that there are so many guy knitters there and I would join if it wasn't for our differences in genitalia.:roflhard:

Lighting57
12-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Blueygh2, looking at your picture, I thought you were a male. That is until I read your tag,"I'm not a miss, I'm a lady."
Call me thickheaded, but I don't get it.

Welcome to this website though. I enjoy reading post by male members because they view the world differently at times than we women do and can add interesting if not better points of view on some topics.

MMario
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Women who support males knitting are welcome over at MenwhoKnit....though most of the distaff members tend to be lurkers, I will admit.

AngelaR
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't think I could ever get my husband or brothers to knit. And there isn't enough beer in the world that would make them even try. I was on a site the other day that was just for guys who knit (http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/).

There there was this one (http://www.menknit.net/).

And and entire retreat for Y chromosomes that love to knit and purl (http://mensknittingretreat.com/).

So they are out there.

Ronda
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM

LOL!

MMario
12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
that would be retreat(S); plural.

The eastern, (o8 and 09, with dates set for '10) the western (o8 and 09) and the midwest (09) so far....

trvvn5
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I find it very funny that my work computer considers KH to be acceptable content but blocks me from viewing MenWhoKnit because it considers it to be malicious content.

sprig
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM
that is so awesome... i love guys that knit. me personally im 24 married, have 2 kids and im a stay at home mom... ive been trying to get my husband to learn to crochet or knit pretty much all the time we've been married. but hes way more into technology than yarn crafts. ive also tried to get my cousin to learn to knit... he watches knit and crochet daily but still doesnt want to learn.. ive taught his wife tho she likes crocheting more than knitting ... more often i get along with guys more than girls so i love to hear about guys knitting cause all the ones i know do not knit and have no interest in it at all.. im super glad u are proud of your knits. and i wish all the closet guy knitters would come out already ... knits should be seen and not buried in the dark corner of the closet.

meowmeowmeow
12-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I find it very funny that my work computer considers KH to be acceptable content but blocks me from viewing MenWhoKnit because it considers it to be malicious content.

:) Use a proxy. You might have to google it from home because a lot of times they block proxy searches so you wont find them.

When I was in high school our computers would block absolutely anything.A lot of times I would base my history reports on weapons of the time and I couldn't access anything online because it was malicious content. My C++ Programming teacher eventually started posting new proxies daily on the board for those who were done with work and needed one to access sites.They'd get blocked almost daily though, so you probably need to keep finding them :3

blueygh2
12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I honestly immediately thought you were a guy when I first saw your avatar then thought you were a woman because of the signature XD I thought, "good thing I didn't call her a dude >_> that could have been awkward"

Anyways, I've been teaching my boyfriend how to knit.At first it was more of a joke, but now he's actually into it.He also has a whole new appreciation for not dropping stitches so he tends to hand me my knitting and move it from place to place with ridiculous attention to care for the live stitches.It's priceless, really. *single tear in eye* He now comes up to me asking to learn new techniques.

There is also a site specifically for male knitters: menwhoknit.com (http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/) I think it's great that there are so many guy knitters there and I would join if it wasn't for our differences in genitalia.:roflhard:

That's funny. :woohoo:

blueygh2
12-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Blueygh2, looking at your picture, I thought you were a male. That is until I read your tag,"I'm not a miss, I'm a lady."
Call me thickheaded, but I don't get it.

Welcome to this website though. I enjoy reading post by male members because they view the world differently at times than we women do and can add interesting if not better points of view on some topics.

It is mainly to startle people, that signature ;)
I have often been called miss, as I said, for reasons unknown to me.
So why not consider myself rather a lady than a miss?
:rofl:

blueygh2
12-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't think I could ever get my husband or brothers to knit. And there isn't enough beer in the world that would make them even try. I was on a site the other day that was just for guys who knit (http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/).

There there was this one (http://www.menknit.net/).

And and entire retreat for Y chromosomes that love to knit and purl (http://mensknittingretreat.com/).

So they are out there.

Beer is a bad idea. I found out that beer + knitting is not compatible. I keep making silly mistakes, forgetting stitches, and all. Might be because I tried knitting lace then...

Crochet + beer works though...

etoilechaude
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Beer is a bad idea. I found out that beer + knitting is not compatible. I keep making silly mistakes, forgetting stitches, and all. Might be because I tried knitting lace then...

Crochet + beer works though...
It's funny you say that... we have a montly beer + knitting night that travels around to local breweries here. My first time going I took a lace project... bad bad bad idea!!! Tonight is our Decemeber night and I'm taking a really easy felted bag project :o)
I do have a lace capelet otn that's really easy (just stockinette with some yos and k2tog) but the thought of making a stupid silly mistake and possibly having to frog the Mal lace yarn is making me realize I shouldn't take it.

blueygh2
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I think that lace and beer should be kept apart. Far apart.

The thought of having to unknit or rip entire rows, just because of beer,... not good.
Especially when the rows are in the 200+ stitches....

Crochet is more forgiving with ripping, it's easier to resume and easier to rip in general. And somehow errors occur less often.

trvvn5
12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh no no. We've pretty much been informed that using proxy sites to circumvent the hospitals filter is grounds for termination.

AZFreckles
12-19-2009, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't yet call them MEN knitters, but my boys are learning to knit. I just picked it up myself early December and within a few days my kids were asking to learn. In fact my oldest, who is 10, decided he would rather learn than watch the new "Night at the Museum". The whole situation blew my mind. It is a bit harder for me to help him since he is left handed, but he's getting the hang of it pretty quick. They did swear me to secrecy around their friends though. :roflhard: My other boy is 8. During the day they get grimy playing football, working on bikes, etc. but once they are in for the night, they adore curling up on the couch with me and making potholders :yay:

amy
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't been on the boards much (so busy with baby Erin). It's great to meet see several new guys here I hadn't met yet!

I haven't told this story in a while....

Once upon a time, the only knitting emoticon out there was this one:knitting: . I found it in my emoticon searching, and promptly grabbed for our forum! But it was the only one, and I thought, "That won't do! We've gotta have one for the guys!"

So, with the help of a forum member, I created our knitting guy! :guyknitting: I'm very proud of this. I love seeing it on other forums now, too.
I also made this one:X:, for the less gender-defined knitter. And of course our frogging :frog:emoticon. (Now I'm just bragging. :teehee:)

But I just like to share that, just so you guys know how much we love you here. :hug:

(whew, all these emoticons are making me dizzy! :zombie:)

mejust
12-20-2009, 09:22 PM
hi all... glad to know there are also male knitters outhere.
I'm new and still learning to knit from my girl.

;)

rwd1105
12-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm a guy knitter, but I only found this forum today.

gman78
12-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Welcome, mejust and rwd :thumbsup:

As a male knitter, I had some fun last week knitting conspicuously - in a hospital ER waiting room. I had my headphones in, trying to relax, all the while totally aware of the people walking plast and taking a good long stare. I wish anyone had asked a question, but I suppose the iPod said 'stay away'

JoeE
12-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm a guy who knits. I'm not very active on the forums, but I lurk a bit. I even knit in public once in a while.

trvvn5
12-23-2009, 11:08 AM
I try not to knit in public. Don't want to make anyone jealous of my mad awesome knittings skillz. I rock.

blueygh2
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Lawlz.

I don't knit in public much. The people staring gives me sweaty hands. Not good for knitting.

rwd1105
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I knit in public all the time. It doesnt bother me at all.:woot:

thrower
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Guys have different motivations. Women tend to be more fashion conscious. For instance, my motivation was to slow down entropy. Entropy is the 2nd law of thermodynamics. In short, it says energy in the universe tends toward randomness. What does it mean? Wods of energy comes from the sun, is absorbed into the Earth, turns around and escapes back out into space. What a waste. What else does it mean? It means, among other things, that we get butt cold in winter. Solution? Make a vest or re-insulate your whole house. So a vest was made and finished before Christmas. It was a first project. Ladies at the LYS were ga-ga that a guy could do that. Necessity is the mother of invention. But who fixed the mess-ups along the way? Of course the women did. Couldn't have been done without Amy's site, the ladies at the LYS, and of course my wife. We're good but we're not that good. The vernacular is also very feminine. Plans are "patterns". Knitting backwards is "purling". We'll get there. Probably only with the help of women though. Welcome to KH.com.:thumbsup: :chair: :yay:

blueygh2
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
You're going against the laws of physics!!!

Everyone! Hide! Quickly! It will blow up!!!

:D

(I hate entropy, but entropy loves me. You'd have to see my room)

mommydearest
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I taught my son to knit a couple of years ago (then age 10) but he never continues with his project. He'll do a row or two and put it down for months at a time. I'm hoping one day he'll finish the never ending scarf.

I like seeing anybody knit or crochet in public. It shows others that it can be done by anyone.

I will also agree with an earlier post... guys give us another view and they do darn good work.

Mary

AngelaR
01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
You're going against the laws of physics!!!

Everyone! Hide! Quickly! It will blow up!!!

:D

(I hate entropy, but entropy loves me. You'd have to see my room)

I'm of a mind to knit you a Maxwell's Demon. It got a laugh out of my physics professor in college.

Woodi
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
What's a Maxwell's Demon?

I love knitting in public even though I'm a woman. It always gets people talking to me, for some reason...or makes them wish they had brought theirs.

I love to knit in the tire shops when DH is busy talking, or waiting for something done to the car.

I love knitting anywhere I have to wait. It almost makes waiting ok.

AngelaR
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Maxwell's Demon is a mental exercise in thermodynamics. He's sort of a spirit of entropy. You can read about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_demon) but really all it is was a way to explain the 2nd law of thermodynamics before they understood atoms and molecules and convection.

What the knitting work was turned out to be a ball, red on one half, blue on the other (hot and cold) with elongated loops in the middle that let the stuffing show and come out or be pushed back in. It was a project done in desperation because I could not verbally explain the concept, but I showed I understood it. I wound up just passing the course for my major.

ngalson
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
I was just curious as to how much of a minority I was here. I'm male. I knit. Just wondering how many other guys there are here as well. My sister seems to think that I'm the only guy she knows that knits, but I'm sure she has to know others. There have to be closet male knitters out there somewhere. Not me though. I wear my knits and purls loud and proud.:-P

Look at a book called Men who Knit and the Dogs who Love them.:hug:

Constant Knitter
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
I think there are more male knitters than we realize.
When I was buying yarn at Wal-Mart the other day, a young man and his wife asked me for some help in buying yarn and needles to start his first knitting project - a scarf. It was fun to talk to someone so enthusiastic about learning to knit and even more impressive because he was a thirty-something guy.

Dutch
01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm a male knitter but I don't post much. Don't know any other male knitters but I think the majority lay low. I personally don't knit in public as my son requested that I don't. He's young and kids can be cruel so I understand where he's coming from. I don't want him taking the hit for my hobby and I know they would tease him over it.

OffJumpsJack
01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I am male and I knit and crochet and will do so in public. My wife loves her crocheted poncho I just completed. I replied before but just had a couple new experiences from KIP (knitting in public).

We went to a housewarming party and I took my knitting. Several guests were my wife's coworkers and they also brought their spouses. A day later my DW comes home from teaching school and mentions that they all noticed my knitting bag hanging from my arm. Apparently several wondered if I was gay. :?? They were all 20-something or 30-something YO's and the males fit the Metro-sexual type. :think:

My wife's reply was simply, "No, he is just good with his hands."

Well, I am. I enjoy making things with my hands. Clay, ceramics, woodworking, and even a catapult and a launch pad for water rockets. I haven't worked with ceramics, pottery clay, or woodworking in (seemingly and perhaps actually) decades now. They all require significantly more monetary investment for tools, material, and workspace. None of them are easily portable.

The other reaction from the housewarming was from the German born grandmother. She saw me knitting and exclaimed, "is that knitting?" I asked if she was more surprised that I was knitting in public or that I was a male knitter.

Her answer was simply, "both!" :roflhard:

We proceeded to have a short discussion on knitting methods (Continental/German vs English/American/Western styles) and what I was making.

The difference in reactions to me KIP was as vast as their ages.

smalltownknitguy
02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
I am a Southern Male knitter and believe me, we are hard to come by down here. Many I think are still in the closet, so to speak. Not me I KIP all the time. I am making a small name for myself. I had a design on display at Stitches West in the Skacel Booth.:woohoo:

Sheri
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
LOL ... go for it and ENJOY!

KatzKnitter
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm on Ravelry, and judging by the avatars, I'd say there are plenty of male knitters.

Purlster
03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
You can add me to guy column. I've been knitting for about two years now. I have a long train commute, so I knit coming and going from work. I have never seen another guy knitting on the train, but there are many women. Naturally, everyone commented on me doing it, but by now I think everyone just thinks of me as that knitting guy on the train.

OffJumpsJack
03-08-2012, 01:22 AM
I spotted a couple people staring at me KIP while waiting at the orthodontist. Most ladies just ask me something about what I'm making.

Or it might have been the two day old growth of whiskers on my face.

Working at home has advantages, so long as you don't need to Skype for conference calls. LOL

Hey Amy or Sheldon, where's the "bearded knitting guy smile?" LOL

Jeremy
03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
If you want to see a really great male knitter/designer/photographer at work go to Brooklyn Tweed's website.
http://brooklyntweed.net/blog/

I attended a class taught by him in New Haven a couple of years ago. A nice person and good teacher too.

I was interviewed for the book Men Who Knit and the Dogs Who Love Them but didn't make the final cut because I was really new to knitting back then.