PDA

View Full Version : I need an Elementary teacher..quick

cheley
09-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi all...my "second grader" missed school on Wednesday, so Thursday (just my luck) brought home her "missed work" to make up...Here goes: She needed to write her "phoneme" in the box, then write her 5 rhyming words under it...:roflhard: WTH (in laymans terms..please) is a Phoneme??? Her teacher has not yet contacted me...Any help appreciated:hug:

rachael72knitter
09-26-2009, 03:53 PM
The smallest phonetic unit like /b/ in bat.

Basically, she writes her phoneme, like /b/, and writes her word, bat, and then does rhyming words- cat, mat, sat, pat, rat. . .

I am assuming that is what is meant, but now that I think about it, it doesn't seem very second grade so I might be misconstruing. I hope I helped.

rachael72knitter
09-26-2009, 03:55 PM

Basically, she writes her phoneme, like /b/, and writes her word, bat, and then does rhyming words- cat, mat, sat, pat, rat. . .

I am assuming that is what is meant, but now that I think about it, it doesn't seem very second grade so I might be misconstruing. I hope I helped.

I'll further explain, it is it's own contrasting sound unlike in digraphs or blends; st, bl, sh, ch. . .

cheley
09-26-2009, 04:40 PM

I am assuming that is what is meant, but now that I think about it, it doesn't seem very second grade so I might be misconstruing. I hope I helped.Thanks alot, is it introduced in a higher grade?? I was sooo lost at this..she showed me an example from one of the other kids and I thought it was like this: tame..(ame) as the phoneme, so ryhme name, same etc....

cheley
09-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I'll further explain, it is it's own contrasting sound unlike in digraphs or blends; st, bl, sh, ch. . . Thank you!!!

rachael72knitter
09-26-2009, 05:09 PM
tame is not a phoneme, /t/ in tame is the phoneme

cheley
09-26-2009, 05:50 PM
tame is not a phoneme, /t/ in tame is the phoneme Got it..Thanks