PDA

View Full Version : tricky scarf pattern

Woodi
10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Well it is for me, but I'm not that experienced a knitter.

It is bulging on the left cuz I made an increase where I shouldn't have (twice!). Will leave this as a reminder to myself to be more careful. I also made one less garter ridge in the first section, urk!

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/ParaScarf.JPG

It is fun and challenging for me to make this, cuz it requires more awareness than knitting skill. It's just knit, purl, inc and decreases. But I have to keep my wits about me (and some days it seems, those wits take a nap!) Much fun though, and I will wear this scarf in dark, gloomy wintertime, when a burst of sunshine is needed.

Every other row changes color, and there are 8 ridges of garter stitch, separated by 6 rows of stockinette, alternating orange and yellow yarns. The increase/dec rows are only on the right side. So I have to remember:
inc or not row
change color every two rows
work 8 ridges, then 6 rows stockinette
when beginning a new garter st section, begin with the color opposite to the one you ended the last section with.

Complicated? or Easy?....you decide.

margz3
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Those nice sunshiney colors will look great in the dead of winter! :thumbsup:

Woodi
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Got this far:

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/KnitEndofDay.JPG

etoilechaude
10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Very interesting pattern! It kinda looks like a sunrise with confetti :o)

WandaT
10-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Love the colors - very happy! This looks like it's a great pattern to practice with and you probably won't notice those mistakes when wearing it - at least others probably won't notice. ;)

Woodi
10-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Hope so, Wanda. I like it anyhow.

but now my hands and shoulders are sore, need to take a break from it - but don't want to! (know that feeling?)

WandaT
10-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Hope so, Wanda. I like it anyhow.

but now my hands and shoulders are sore, need to take a break from it - but don't want to! (know that feeling?)

oh yeah ... been there done that too. sometimes it's just so hard to make myself quit!

ArtLady1981
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Very nice pattern, and color choices, Woodi! I love the sunshine colors! The design seems fun to work! Not boring like the Log Cabin blanket was! Hope to follow your progress! Good job!

Woodi
10-04-2009, 08:45 AM
This is a pic from the book I'm knitting it from, "Knitting New Scarves" by Lynne Barr. She used colors closer to one another.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/ParScfBk.JPG

WandaT
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
looks like to me you're doing a great job on yours. :)

MerigoldinWA
10-04-2009, 01:17 PM
It is fun and challenging for me to make this, cuz it requires more awareness than knitting skill.

So true. That is the way most knitting is. The knitting itself isn't hard but a lot of carefulness and attention is needed.

I like your colors. They will be welcome in the winter months. You do have quite a few things to keep track of on this scarf.

The bulge you mentioned in your first post doesn't look like a mistake of any kind now that we see how it is developing... and the original. Looks right to me.

Woodi
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks MerigoldinWA!

Here it is today.....I am so enjoying knitting this.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/Scarf4.JPG

MerigoldinWA
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Coming along very well. No unsightly bulge. :thumbsup:

melmac51
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
So true. That is the way most knitting is. The knitting itself isn't hard but a lot of carefulness and attention is needed.

I like your colors. They will be welcome in the winter months. You do have quite a few things to keep track of on this scarf.

The bulge you mentioned in your first post doesn't look like a mistake of any kind now that we see how it is developing... and the original. Looks right to me.

This is just what I was going to say. Love those colors too!

wezyus
10-06-2009, 06:53 AM
wowwwwwwwwww that gr88 ...wel done the pattern is rare n lovely color

melmac51
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey! Now I can see it on this post too!! (my favorite colors)

BTW, Just how long are those knitting needles???:???: