PDA

View Full Version : Harmony or Clover DPNs?

gamerchik
10-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi there,

I really like the Clover bamboo DPNs and those are the ones I use. However, I need to buy some new sizes (2 and 3) and I'm wondering about the Harmony DPNs.

I use the nickel-plated needles for my regular knitting, but for DPNs, I like wood. To be honest, I think the Harmony circular needles are really ugly with the multi-colored "chevron" kind of design (I know a lot of you think they're beautiful, but they're just not my style). It looks like the DPNs are actually striped instead of the design that's on the circular needles, but I can't tell from the pictures.

My questions are:

1. Are the DPN's striped or are they the same "pattern" as the circular needles? Can anyone post a close-up picture? I googled but couldn't find a good picture.
2. If you have used the Harmony DPNs and the Clover needles, how do you compare them?

Thanks! :)

Jan in CA
10-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I've seen them and they are just as bright as the circs are. They are supposed to be very nice needles.
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Double_Pointed_Knitting_Needles__L300303.html

However,...I think the color is pretty, but I've always felt like it was just too much color contrasting with the yarn. And if you used a multicolored yarn..yikes. I like my Clover DPNs just fine and I can see each stitch clearly.

gamerchik
10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree about the contrast. Thanks, Jan. :)

sandy57th
10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I personally think the Harmonies aren't bright enough! I've been disappointed in that I think the colors are a bit dark and dull compared to some of their photos. But aside from the appearance (and it really is important in terms of seeing your sts), I think that for feel, the Harmonies are a million times better than any bamboo, including clover. They're much smoother, but not as slick as metal, and the points are terrific. I'd get a set and see what you think-- they're not too expensive no matter what.

TrikkeAddict
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I love my Clover Bamboo needles, but I like the points on the Harmonies better. For smaller sizes I would definitely use the Harmonies because of the better points. The color of the harmonies used to distract me when I first got them, but now I don't even notice them.

Susan

Sunshine's Mom
10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I think the Harmony's are beautiful. And I like them much better than the Clover bamboo. They are slicker and much more pointed. So easy to work with. And they just get smoother as you use them. I think you'd like them.