PDA

View Full Version : Troops Need our Help

nannaknits
10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Today I got a email from my Daughter who is a Sgt. in the US Army. She is asking for help for her Soliders. Here is what she wrote.

My name is SGT Kimberly Thomson. Troops in Afghanistan need the help and support from back home now more then ever. Im sure everyone has seen the news and read the headlines of the second deadliest attack in Afghanistan, well that was my squadron that took the hit. Many of my guys have had all of their personal belongings go up in flames and have nothing left but the clothes they are wearing. Im not asking for money but simply for the help of anyone that can, to send these guys some hygiene items, towels and washcloths, some socks, sheets and blankets. Anything for these guys to have something. It is all males in need of these items, we are trying our best to get them what we can over here but we have no px, so we are simply trying to get together the extra things that other soldiers have and its just not enough. So if you are able to help please send the items to:

Sgt. Kimberly Thomson
B troop 3/61 CAV
Fob Bostick
APO AE 09354

If you feel you can help out please send the items to my Daughter who will distribute the items to her soliders. I appreciate any and all help that you can give. Thank you so much, Dottie Kruse, Nannaknits

sgtpam
10-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Dottie, what have you found to be the best way to send things to your daughter?

nannaknits
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I use the flat rate boxes from the post office that are specifically for the troops. I believe it cost about $12.00 to mail one no matter what it weighs as long as it goes to a APO or AE address. There are some guidlines for mailing things. Nothing flammable, no aerosol cans, no pork products. Most of the guys wear a Large or Extra Larger in underwear and tee shirts. I appreciate all help for my daughter and her troops. These were "her" soldiers and she is trying hard to provide them just the basic necessities that one needs for daily hygiene. Thanks again, Dottie

momwolf
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I will send a box out by Friday:hug:

Mulderknitter
10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I'll see what I can get together, I hae some had knit hats and scarves, maybe those? Momwolf what are you planning on sending so I don't duplicate? Or do they not mind?

nannaknits
10-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I appreciate your help. I feel so bad for these guys. Since there's more than one soldier that has lost all of their belongings sending duplicates won't be a problem. I will try to find out how many are in need. While all of this was happening in Afghanistan Kimberly's 3 year old daughter (who I watch on a full time basis) became ill and ended up in the hospital with a Septic Hip. She underwent surgery last week and is home now recovering. I haven't had the heart to tell Kim about this episode. I figure that she has enough to worry about right now. I will tell her when things calm down.

Jan in CA
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll see what I can do, too!

Mulderknitter
10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Well, I went thru some of my handknits that haven't found a home yet, and I have about 4 scarves and one hat that a guy wouldn't mind wearing. Do you think they could use those? I hate to see them sitting around if someone can use them.

nannaknits
10-07-2009, 12:59 PM
My daughter emailed me again this morning. She said there are 60 males that are in need of personal hygiene items. She said another post provided some uniforms for them but things like soap, toothpaste, wash clothes, towels, shaving supplies and the like are what they can't provide.

Mulderknitter
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Awesome! I'll hang onto the handknits and see if some coworkers have some stuff they cant send with mine!:muah:

Becky Morgan
10-07-2009, 09:59 PM
My daughter emailed me again this morning. She said there are 60 males that are in need of personal hygiene items. She said another post provided some uniforms for them but things like soap, toothpaste, wash clothes, towels, shaving supplies and the like are what they can't provide.

Not that we're not all sending things, but I bet Boatsie (aka Gail Van Vranken) could help, maybe even divert some stuff that's already going to Afghanistan. We donate to Boatsie's Boxes all the time because our Dollar Tree has a current list of needs and the cashiers always remind us! It's kind of late to call her tonight, but I could in the morning if you want. Here's the link to her page:
http://www.boatsie.com/contactdonationinformation.html

Mulderknitter
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I have some coworkers that are getting stuff together. I hope to get a box out next week!:muah:

nannaknits
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Becky that sounds great. If you could contact Gail for me that would be supper nice and much appreciated. I am spending my days and nights at Children's Hospital with Kim's daughter. I found out today that all of this arthritis stuff is part of an allergic reaction to amoxicillian. Being stuck at the hospital doesn't give me much computer time. thanks for your help everyone, I know the troops really appreciate the help. Nanna

Mulderknitter
10-09-2009, 12:12 PM
My coworkers really stepped up, we have a lot of stuff to send. i hope to get at least one box out on Saturday. Tee shirts, shaving products, deodorant, etc. The CEO of our company has a son in the army, so he really stepped up for them!

Mulderknitter
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Thought I would share the pics of the first wave going out on Sat.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture396.jpg
That's everything so far, from combs to t shirts to deodorant to toothbrushes to baby powder & chapstick!
And here it is all boxed up and ready to go!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture397.jpg

momwolf
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Good job Mulderknitter :cheering::cheering::yay::yay::woohoo:

Becky Morgan
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
:cheering: :grphug: !!!!

momwolf
10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Nannaknits,
I just got around to loading pics of the 2 boxes I sent to your daughter.I bought 4 of everything so at least I know 4 soldiers are taken care of :hug:. Here is what I sent in case anybody needs ideas. This is the kind of stuff I send my son in Iraq. I also put everything that is liquid in zip lock bags in case they spill or break open. Have had that happen before :roll: Thanks for letting me help in this GREAT cause:hug:. Just to bad the government can't help out our troops when things like this happen. It is the LEAST they could do for our troops that are over there putting their life on the line for our country.:!!!:

toothpaste
toothbrushes & cases to put them in.
Tic Tacs
Hand sanitizer
Razors
Shaving Gel
Towels
Wash cloths
Body wash
Nasal spray
Chap stick
Hand wipes
Deodorant

KnitPrincess
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I will see what I can do :muah:

Mulderknitter
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
1 more box of goodies goes out tomorrow, some more tootbrushes and such, but also some halloween candy! (no chocolate-don't want it to melt!!) :woohoo:

nannaknits
10-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I knew knitter's were awesome people. Now I know just how awesome. Thank you everyone, I know the guys appreciate it. I asked my daughter if she could to get pictures. It might be difficult for her to do because the soldiers are so spread out. But she would try. Thanks again, Nanna:grphug:

nannaknits
10-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Susan just wanted to let you know that one of your boxes has arrived in Afghanistan. It was very much appreciated. The goodies have been given out. Thank you to you and your co-workers for stepping up to the plate. Bless you, Nanna

Mulderknitter
10-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Susan just wanted to let you know that one of your boxes has arrived in Afghanistan. It was very much appreciated. The goodies have been given out. Thank you to you and your co-workers for stepping up to the plate. Bless you, Nanna
Awesome! That makes me so happy! There should be 3 boxes arriving in that 1st shipment. I have yet to get the rest of the stuff out, but will this weekend!

nannaknits
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Susan I went back and looked at the email Kim sent me today. I guess I can't read She said they got three boxes from you. Once again Thank you so much. Nanna

Mulderknitter
10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Susan I went back and looked at the email Kim sent me today. I guess I can't read She said they got three boxes from you. Once again Thank you so much. Nanna
So good to hear! I passed on your message to my coworkers. I am glad it all arrived! :muah:

Debkcs
10-22-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm so glad that you are sending boxes to our troops! They keep threatening to send my son, a quartermaster who deals in medical supplies mainly (the hard stuff, machines, etc.)

Our church sends hundreds of boxes each year, we get great pictures in return. My favorite was a bunch of girls grinning over Bath and Body things. "Oh we get to smell good for a change!" one wrote.
The unit we sent the boxes to also wants current paperbacks and movies.

nannaknits
10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Julie, Just wanted you to know that yesterday Kim rec'd 2 boxes from you. I think what they are doing is giving the supply clerk all of the items and then he passes it out to those in need. That way no one double dips and everyone will get something. Thanks for your support, Nanna

momwolf
10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
So glad they arrived safely :cheering: Was glad to help out:muah::hug:

Mulderknitter
10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Nannaknits! My package with candy and some other goodies went out today, just wondering if there is any update on the kinds of stuff they are still lacking? I looked around for some paperbacks and stuff but wasn't sure. I don't mind continuing to send stuff as long as it's needed!:muah:

nannaknits
10-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I will ask my daughter and see what she says. I know they lost everything. So that means they not only lost hygiene items and underwear they also lost the stuff they use in down time, like reading material, footballs, baseballs, games, and such.I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again, Nanna

Mulderknitter
11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
The last of the shampoos and toothpaste is going out, along with some cards and dominoes and some magazines I have guys should like (magazines on video games :muah: )
Hope this helps them out some!

cheley
11-07-2009, 08:52 AM
The last of the shampoos and toothpaste is going out, along with some cards and dominoes and some magazines I have guys should like (magazines on video games :muah: )
Hope this helps them out some! God Bless you, Mulder....I just saw this "thread" this a.m..(saturday)...I'm gonna get some things together too...

miccisue
11-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Do they still need things? Is there anything in particular they would use (or like) more than other stuff? I mean, like more underwear, or more game type stuff, like cards, poker chips, puzzles, DVDs; or snack stuff like powdered drink mixes, those packages of nuts or cheese and crackers......I know people have been sending things, and would like to know what things have been fairly well met, and what things they still are lacking.

Thanks!!!

nannaknits
11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I think most of the personal hygiene stuff has been taken care of. If extras are left they are given to the supply clerk who stores them in case something like this happens again. By extras I mean the stuff like toothpaste/brushes, underwear, body wash/ shampoo and the like. They havent gotten much in the way of down time stuff, like snacks, games, magizines.If you decide to send something anything it will be greatly appeciatedand is always welcomed.