PDA

View Full Version : chunky yarn for dishcloths?

chriss
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
hi,
i am a starter knitter and I wuld like to make dishcloths for christmas. i purchased bernat sofree chunky yarn - is this ok to use for this project??
thanks

Mirl56
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I think cotton makes a better dishcloth then acrylic. See if you can find Peaches N Cream or Sugar N Cream - both make good dishcloths. These are usually easily findable at walmart, AC Moore, Michaels, Joanne Fabrics.

Jan in CA
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd also recommend cotton instead of acrylic. Cotton is more absorbent which is a good quality in a dishcloth. Chunky is okay, but be aware that it will take longer to dry. I prefer DK or light worsted myself because they dry quicker.

Here's some cottons or mostly cotton blends that would work that you can usually get at local craft type stores.

Bernat Cottontots
Lion Brand Lion Cotton
Lily Sugar and Cream
Peaches and Cream (Walmart)
Bernat Handicrafter
Red Heart Creme de la Creme
NY Yarns Caprice

Woodi
10-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't use chunky acrylic for washcloths. It will stretch all out of shape, be too large once it's wet, and won't hold water the way cotton does.

But if you must give it a try, that's the best way to learn. I have a friend who makes dishcloths to use as hot mats on her table, in various kinds of yarns, or to put under her plant pots.