PDA

View Full Version : What do you refuse to knit?

Knitter in South Korea
10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
As obsessed as I am with knitting, there are just some things I refuse to knit. I will never knit cozies of any kind. I don't get it, and I don't know anybody that needs anything cozied. Also, I hate socks; they take too long.

Just curious as to know what you guys refuse to knit.

Debkcs
10-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Tights, no one in my family wears them.

Dish cloths, they always smell funny after one use. Maybe it's our water?

I've never knitted a cozie, but want to make one for a teapot we have.

:rofl: A Kleenex box cover, we've seen a few of those in our local Goodwill store. (Don't mean to offend any of you who've made them, they just strike me funny.)

Knitter in South Korea
10-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Good to know about the dishcloths; I've always wanted to knit one.

etoilechaude
10-06-2009, 05:32 AM
I always said I would never knit a sock... but... honestly I love my DPNs so much that I don't care if no one ever wears them... socks will probably be my portable project of choice.

I hate scarves... maybe it's because I started with them (who doesn't????...) but they seem like too much work for not enough gratification. My MIL scarf is almost done... and my scarf... (which VERY likely won't end as a scarf) are beautiful.

I didn't think I'd like baby clothes... but ... O M G ... I want to beg my friends to get the preggers bug!!!!!!!!!

globaltraveler
10-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Definitely dishcloths. Also body parts and such-like.

Knitter in South Korea
10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
lol...I don't know. I've always wanted to knit the womb that's on ravelry.

LizzieK8
10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Dish cloths, they always smell funny after one use. Maybe it's our water?

Rinse it out, lay it flat in the microwave and cook on high for one minute. If it's not the water and is bacteria, it will cure that. I microzap mine every evening after finishing up the dishes. It stays nice a fresh for weeks.:thumbsup:

Craw
10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Hmmmm ... probably socks because they seem like a lot of work and skill goes into them. I had seen someone had knitted a covering for a car once. That's something I'll probably never get into, lol.

LOL @ the kleenex covering! I have a crocheted one. It's one interesting piece of artwork. ;)

dustinac
10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think I would ever knit a bikini or a thong :teehee:

WandaT
10-06-2009, 08:32 AM
You know, I've learned to never say never ... every single time I do I end up eating those words at some point. So while there are things I won't knit right now, I won't say "never" because life changes and situations change - you never know what you may end up deciding to make. I will say I'm with those of you who have no plans or desires to make some of those knit body parts ... but I don't say I WON'T EVER b/c just as soon as I do, life will put me in a situation where I actually need to make one for the greatest gag gift ever. Right now I shy away from making clothing because I'm terrified that I'll put all the work into it and it wont' fit. I guess one day I'll get over that but for now not so much. :)

Lisa R.
10-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I can't see knitting the body parts or even the food and stuff like that. I have seen some cute centerpieces and other decorations, but I just think the time to knit little flowers or cupcakes or whatever is just too much for what you get---which in our tiny house amounts to clutter! No offense to anyone who enjoys that stuff--I just don't feel it fits into my lifestyle.

pinksugar
10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
haha, can't see myself knitting a car cover anytime soon either!

for me, I refuse to knit with 'funny' yarn - you know, with bobbles or feathery bits or suchlike - it just doesn't fit with my particular fashion sense, and I just don't like it.

I prefer my pretty, 'serious' looking yarn,:teehee:

porsandy
10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
i won't knit anything that involves circular needles. Man, I HATE those things.

Mike
10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I need all kinds of cozies.
Cozies are much easier than dusting, or worse and more likely in my house, having to scrub down with soap and water.
Just pull the cozy off and toss it in the washer.
I even make cozies for things that go in a cabinet if they see so little use that they'll be covered with dust when they're needed.

I almost refuse to knit lace. I see little use for things with holes in them. Even when I crochet granny squares from a pattern I adjust so the holes are minimal.
My refusal is only "almost" because if someone asked me nice enough I may consider it, but it's doubtful because I almost refuse to knit things predetermined for others.

Jan in CA
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Never say never is a good rule of thumb, but that being said...

I would like to say I'll never knit -
body parts or cozies for them

cozies of almost any kind...I'd never get my phone out in time and it would snag on stuff in my purse

table cloth shaped lace shawls

doilies - I will never be old enough to want them and I don't need any more dust collectors

underwear and swimwear

As for dishcloths...I have a bunch. The trick I found is to knit them out of thinner cotton so they dry faster. Drying usually prevents the smell between washings.

nemaent
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I won't say "Never" either. Socks take too long -- I can have a sweater made by the time I get a pair of those done. I would make a pair if someone asked me too, though......

Other probably nots include: dishcloths, swimwear, drink cozies, cell phone covers, animal clothes, bow ties. MY, my list is long........

EmeraldSpider
10-06-2009, 11:14 AM
i won't knit anything that involves circular needles. Man, I HATE those things.

I love my circs I am knitting a scarf that I could probably do on straights but using the circular needles on it makes it easy to look and see how well it is coming but that is just me. ( I use to hate dnps but then I started making a sock.):thumbsup:

People knit body parts?!?

stvteri88
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow. Tough question for me as I still consider myself a newbie to knitting even though I have been doing it for a few years. I haven't run into anything I wouldn't knit yet. :knitting: A note about the dishcloths tho...I was told to put them in the top rack of your dishwasher (if u have one) and secure them. They get cleaned and sanitized with each load.:woot:

UruzPhoenix
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
anything that i don't want to or for whom i don't want to. I can be very Veruca Salt (or be 2) when it comes to my craft/knitting time... esp with my arthritis getting worse...

ArtLady1981
10-07-2009, 03:50 AM
I use WHITE cotton yarn for dishcloths and scrubbies so that I can saturate them with CLOROX CLEANUP to remove stains and bacteria! Then of course, regular washing in hot water is a good thing, too! I've put scrubbies in the dishwasher, but do also toss them into the wash on HOT with other whites.

The only thing I would NEVER EVER knit are the ICKY sexual things I've seen in some folks' Ravely folders. Ewwww. Couldn't even tell you what they were.
I BLIPPED their visual memory asap!

Crycket
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I like the never say never thing...there are so many techniques to learn, and every project has the potential of posing a new challenge!

I hate wrapped short rows! I will avoid them whenever possible. Of course though...I love knitting socks...so the odd pattern now and then crops up and I have some wrapped short row heels to contend with...

I don't care to knit anything that doesn't serve some sort of purpose. This is going to sound strange and possibly hypocritical, but I don't think I could ever knit a veggie, or cupcake. They are completely useless. I suppose they could fall under the catagory of "decoration"

To date, the only thing that has lured me in and TEMPTED me to knit it, was a garlic...http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garlic but even then....

I say that is hypocritical cause I love knitting Teddy Bears, which esscentially do the same thing...sit around being pretty...but at least they have a face! Something cute to lure you in...*shrugs*....

dustinac
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I hate wrapped short rows! I will avoid them whenever possible. Of course though...I love knitting socks...so the odd pattern now and then crops up and I have some wrapped short row heels to contend with...

I'm with ya on the wrap short rows, so I change those heels to Sherman Short Rows (http://cabezalana.blogspot.com/2007/04/sherman-short-row-sock-pictorial-tour.html), no wraps, no holes :happydance: (although if you wrap twice sometimes that will help with the holes)

lulubell
10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I did not think I would ever knit a CHRISTMAS TREE DECORATION, but ........... that is the item to be knitted for my Spinning Club November meeting. I have found a pattern for a Xmas pudding that is not too yuk!

Viridian
10-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't do chevrons. This started with the Jaywalker socks and I positively refuse to knit them. I'll do cables, lace, anything else you put in front of me, but chevrons.

I won't ever knit a poncho because I don't need to look like a sack of potatoes.

I believe everything else is fair game. :D

linknit41
10-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Definitely dishcloths. Also body parts and such-like.

yeah, i'm with you on the 'body parts' ---eewwww! linknit41

Cyndel06
10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I wont knit blankets. At all. It is just sooo much work and I never really liked the look or feel of knitted or crocheted blanket. I also have a love of quilting (it can be so hard to find time for two such time consuming hobbies), and I prefer the feel and weight of a quilt. I much prefer to knit small clothing items.
I also won't knit pillow covers for similar reasons.
I'm to skittish to knit toys either.

mathwizard
10-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Interesting thread. I haven't really thought about it. I do know that I have the smelly dish cloths as part of an exchange and thanks for getting rid of the smell ideas. I don't like knitted body parts but I can honestly say I don't have a I don't knit yet. I don't want to say I wouldn't knit something because a grandchild might come along and I would break that I don't knit it.:)

OffJumpsJack
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
The only thing I would NEVER EVER knit are the ICKY sexual things I've seen in some folks' Ravely folders. Ewwww. Couldn't even tell you what they were.
I BLIPPED their visual memory asap!

Ah, Yes! Like *Alastor (Mad-Eye) Moody (http://www.hplex.info/wizards/moody.html), sometimes you just have to "wash your eyeballs."

Like Jan in CA, I would probably never knit body parts nor cozies for them.

As for thongs, I've never before felt any need to floss my buttocks nor believe that I ever shall.

*Alastor (Mad-Eye) Moody is a character from the Harry Potter series by JKRowling.
Mad-Eye is noted for his paranoia and his prosthetic, magical eye that can spin around in the eye-socket or be removed for cleaning. It becomes evident that this eye is able to see through things, including his own head.

Jan in CA
10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
What an interesting thread this has been. In some cases I completely agree and in others I'm surprise that people won't knit certain ways or certain things. Quite interesting. :thumbsup:

Mad-Eyes eye was creepy! :zombie:

kalii2
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Lace and socks.
Though I recently saw a sock pattern that might change my mind.
I'm not a fan of really small yarn though.
Bulky and super bulky yarns are my weakness.

MAmaDawn
10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't knit thongs or anything like that or intarsia... yuck! I love Fair Isle, but not intarsia

ChristineO
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I have to agree with the others who said: I will never knit body parts, or cozies for body parts. Ick. Or icky sexual things. Double-ick.

But aside from those things, I've also learned to never say never. When I started knitting, I thought I hated cables...love 'em now. I thought lace was too hard...now it's one of my favorite things. Food...I'm planning on making a bunch for my kiddos; it won't break or make a lot of noise when they throw it against the playroom wall(don't ask my why they do that to their toys, 'cause I don't know).

I haven't yet made anything with fair-isle, intarsia or entrelac, but that's just because I haven't yet found a design that I loved enough to learn those techniques.

Quiltlady
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Dish cloths. I don't need more things to wash and I'd expect they would get gross really fast.:teehee:

Mike
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Dish cloths. I don't need more things to wash and I'd expect they would get gross really fast.:teehee:

I use mine for my cast iron, which means no soap. They really don't get that bad.
The colors were selected with this in mind, I'm sure they would look terrible if they were white.

After I'm done doing a pan I wash it out with a little dish soap. Toss into the washer whenever I think of it and grab a clean one.

OffJumpsJack
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
The food safety experts say you should never use a sponge on your kitchen counters because they hold bacteria. Well the same hold for dishcloths. So they say to change them out every day and toss the dirty ones in the laundry. I like the dishwasher suggestion too, but wonder about the caustic (corrosive) detergent used and how it would affect the fibers in the dishcloth.

I don't see the appeal of wearing knitted or crocheted swim wear. Well, I do see the appeal of seeing the same on the attractive models they use for the pictures, but I never meet models. :)

But I guess I wouldn't say I'd never knit bikini briefs for my wife. The fitting sessions could be (shall we say) interesting. :)

Fiestaknitter
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM
It's sweaters for me. I have started SO many and never finished one. I lose interest very quickly.

mommydearest
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Very interesting thread...

I can't say NEVER but more than probable on the body parts. ick is right. Food - no use for it in my house but they are neat to look at. I've only done 2 scarves and I didn't even learn with them. The first one I did just last year and it was so very boring the 2nd I finished last month was much more interesting that I made a hat to go with it.

I haven't made a throw or shawl but I would like to. I have a throw in progress (for 2 months already) and I don't think it will be done by Christmas.

Luckily I don't have a real need for sweaters here and really wouldn't make one for a relative without them asking first - need measurements - although I did make the CPH this year for myself and would love it more if it didn't have gorilla arms (too long) and a humped back (too short).

I will give everything a try once at some time in my knitting life although it may take me awhile to get to them all.

I just started a mini sweater from KP Tidings of Joy. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Mary

Debbie
10-11-2009, 09:51 AM
If you know and love a breast cancer survivor you just might knit a "body part" :) ... never say never ! Tit Bits !

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbits.html)

UruzPhoenix
10-11-2009, 02:33 PM
i found what i will NEVER, EVER knit... and yeah, i found the pattern on Ravelry.... it's....

Poo...... yep, a knitted bowel movement.

Plantgoddess+
10-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm with ya on the wrap short rows, so I change those heels to Sherman Short Rows (http://cabezalana.blogspot.com/2007/04/sherman-short-row-sock-pictorial-tour.html), no wraps, no holes :happydance: (although if you wrap twice sometimes that will help with the holes)
I've recently found another method to avoid wrapping and turning http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/fleegle-short-row-no-wraps-no-holes-no.html
I haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty straight forward and I hope to give it a try sometime this winter.