PDA

View Full Version : Now That's A BIG Dog!

saracidaltendencies
10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
WOW!! :thud:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091007/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_biggest_dog

Jan in CA
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
:passedout: He is a big one!

Side note.. many years ago DH and I were taking a trip up to Whitney Portals and we stopped at the store there. Before we got out of the car we could see something big and black by the door to the store. It really looked like a bear and it was in the mountains so... Turns out it was a Newfoundland like the one in that story. I bet he scared away a few customers!

saracidaltendencies
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
LOL! I bet he did!!

Mulderknitter
10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
ooooooh! I just love BIG dogs!:muah:

melmac51
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
He's gorgeous! I sure hope he' housetrained...:teehee:

saracidaltendencies
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
:roflhard: No doubt, what a mess that would be!!

ArtLady1981
10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow is right! We had an English Mastiff (Hogan) that was just 32" at the shoulder, and let me just say this: several times he absconded with cooling burritos on the kitchen island! He didn't jump up, he just reached over!

Thanks for the link, Demonica! Cool photo and story!

mwhite
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
BOW WOW!!! Bet he loves leftovers, too!:whistle:

Gertie
10-09-2009, 12:56 AM
One of the homes I work in had an all black Newfoundland visit. She stayed outside. People would cross the street when they walked by. She's a real water rescue dog, but her owner added that it helps if you have a hot dog in your pocket. :teehee: She's very sweet. Thick fur & webbed feet.

mwhite
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
One of the homes I work in had an all black Newfoundland visit. She stayed outside. People would cross the street when they walked by. She's a real water rescue dog, but her owner added that it helps if you have a hot dog in your pocket. :teehee: She's very sweet. Thick fur & webbed feet.

This is very interesting, I didn't realize they had web feet or were water loving dogs....:thumbsup:

Crycket
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I love big dogs...but they don't last so long...a big dog is only predicted to live 6 - 7 years...That would break my heart!

sabrinasmom
10-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Just saw on TV this morning an episode of Dog Tales?? where there was a center for troubled children and they had a Newfoundland. He was a big dog. A lady who worked there knew a dog would be great for the children but the dog couldn't stay at the center. So she got him and took him to work with her everyday.The children loved him.

Luvmyrottnboy
10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Ah yes! I LOVE the big 'uns.

Newfies are the sweetest dogs too.

Gertie
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Just saw on TV this morning an episode of Dog Tales?? where there was a center for troubled children and they had a Newfoundland. He was a big dog. A lady who worked there knew a dog would be great for the children but the dog couldn't stay at the center. So she got him and took him to work with her everyday.The children loved him.

It's interesting that they chose such a big dog. It could certainly handle any rough treatment the more problematic ones might dish out tho.

vaknitter
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
I :heart: big dogs. I want a great dane sooooo bad. We have a therapy dog at work that is about 160lbs and he's such a teddy bear. If I sit on the floor to say HI to him he will literally turn around to sit in my lap

Jan in CA
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
My neighbor had two Great Danes and one died recently of old age. The other one is also aging so they got two puppies. HOLY COW! They are only 4 mos old and they are almost the size of Labs! :zombie: Really cute though!

Gertie
10-27-2009, 12:22 AM
vaknitter - I saw a thing on tv that said that Great Danes are just big lap dogs. So sweet & affectionate.